PDA

View Full Version : Regular vs Premium

ctrcbob
02-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Does anyone use Regular fuel when driving their MM easy? (I know not all of you tromp on it). Will 87 octane ping with easy driving?

My 02 Continental (275hp Intec Engine) and my two previous 98 Continentals (260hp Intec Engines) all called for Premium fuel, but I always use 87 (86 in NM) and they never pinged on me.

SouLRioT
02-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Bob, I know that you can get a custom tune that will take that into account, but others will have to help you out with the stock programing.

cyclopsram
02-17-2005, 05:30 PM
I use the low calorie fuel in all 5 of my Crown Vic PIs and yell at the County for wasting money for premium in their cruisers... My oldest has 225000 (a 95 model) with original engine... RAM

Bluerauder
02-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Does anyone use Regular fuel when driving their MM easy? (I know not all of you tromp on it). Will 87 octane ping with easy driving?
When I drive it EASY??? That ain't happened yet. :rofl:

The owner's manual says use 91 Octane minimum. I guess you could mix 89 and 93 half and half. Probably not good for the engine to run less than 91 for extended periods as it'll make the engine run hot. Not good. The $1.80 difference per tankful ain't worth the potential hassle of engine problems. :D

Those are my thoughts on the gas issue. :rolleyes:

Marauder2005
02-17-2005, 06:08 PM
If you do what the manual says there is no way you can go

wrong :)

cyclone03
02-17-2005, 06:33 PM
I've done it many times,even with a performance flashed computer.

NO WOT,keep the RPM below 3500 and you will have no problems.

The bonus is you'll get better milage too.

EVERYBODY else on the board will tell you to just suck it up and spend the $$ on prem. but the car will run very well IF you do not beat on it with the lower octane stuff.

That said I think my car ran better on 89 over 93 when stock.I run no less than 87 when I run road trips from TX. to CA.

A warning,you may NEVER hear the engine ping even when it does.
I found mine detonates on 86 for sure,thats the only grade I've ever heard a ping with. I found this out in CA on whatever they call gas out there.

You may want to learn how to read plugs,if you see "pepering"on the porcelin of the plugs you have detonation,if the porcelin is chipped you have detonation for sure.

CRUZTAKER
02-17-2005, 07:51 PM
I have an 89 octane program in my SC Chip as a contingency plan.

Otherwise, I would never run less than 92 normally.

Warpath
02-17-2005, 07:51 PM
The pistons are too fragile to take the risk. Once you have pinging, there's a decent chance the pistons are damaged. You could crack a piston and not even know it until later.

cruzer
02-17-2005, 10:32 PM
CVPI = 8.4:1 compression
MM= 10.1:1 compression = detonation on low octane fuel = new engine = not worth the risk :confused:

Joe Walsh
02-17-2005, 10:47 PM
I've done it many times,even with a performance flashed computer.

NO WOT,keep the RPM below 3500 and you will have no problems.

The bonus is you'll get better milage too.

EVERYBODY else on the board will tell you to just suck it up and spend the $$ on prem. but the car will run very well IF you do not beat on it with the lower octane stuff.

That said I think my car ran better on 89 over 93 when stock.I run no less than 87 when I run road trips from TX. to CA.

A warning,you may NEVER hear the engine ping even when it does.
I found mine detonates on 86 for sure,thats the only grade I've ever heard a ping with. I found this out in CA on whatever they call gas out there.

You may want to learn how to read plugs,if you see "pepering"on the porcelin of the plugs you have detonation,if the porcelin is chipped you have detonation for sure.

^^^^^TRUE^^^^^

If you can HEAR Detonation (pinging)........you got trouble!

My 5.0 Mustang would ping @ WOT on hot summer days....BUT it has forged pistons, the Marauder does not!
Be Careful!

MENINBLK
02-17-2005, 10:58 PM
If you do what the manual says there is no way you can go wrong :)

I learned the hard way that the Owners Manual is NOT a Bible...

You need to take the Owners Manual with a grain of salt and use your common sense.

We have high compression engines.
The reason you are told to use 91 octane or higher is because high octane fuel doesn't pre-ignite.
Pre-Ignition is what causes knocking and pinging.

There are some situations where it is okay to use a lower octane fuel in a high octane engine.
One of the most talked about is in very cold climates.
It is harder to start a high compression engine using high octane fuel.
It is because high octane fuel doesn't want to ignite when it is cold.
89 or 87 octane will give you easier starts in very cold weather,
but I wouldn't continue to burn the lower octane once the weather
begins to warm up and stabilize at a warmer temperature.
It doesn' take much to shatter a piston...

O's Fan Rich
02-18-2005, 06:57 AM
no, I have not

Matt In Detroit
02-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Ive run 87, 89, and 93 in mine. Honestly, I cant tell any difference in performance at all. No pings, bogs, stutters or anything. I will usuallly put in better gas for around town stop and go driving, and run 87 for hwy trips where it just gets burned out anyway. YMMV

O's Fan Rich
02-18-2005, 09:19 AM
Maybe you guys who can run that low octane fuel without a problem got those cars that came with the low compression CV block and the 32 valve heads. .
ok this is just a rumor i decided to gte started
:bs: :bs: :bs:

Captain Steve
02-18-2005, 11:28 AM
I run 93 in my car.

Because you never know when some dork in a V6 mustang with a small aircraft wing on the trunk is going to give you the finger at a stoplight :burnout:

Bluerauder
02-18-2005, 12:30 PM
I run 93 in my car.

Because you never know when some dork in a V6 mustang with a small aircraft wing on the trunk is going to give you the finger at a stoplight :burnout:
True !!! True !!! :rofl:

LordVader
02-18-2005, 12:45 PM
:cool: I usually run a mix between 89 and 91 octane, especially since most of my driving is done under 45 mph and my daily drive is only about 14 miles roundtrip. The only time I get really go WOT is on the week-ends when I get on the freeways around here.

GodOSpeed
02-18-2005, 01:34 PM
You can run what you want but its all 92+ here. In most hi-performance/ hi-compression motors will usually benifit in not only horsepower but also in longevity and MPG from running their required fuel. I get a kick out of these guys building their small block chevs with domed pistons and the works and still trying to run 87 octane. The only pump they should be pulling up to is the one hooked on a 50 gallon drum of the pretty blue. But who could afford that when you just spent 6k on that beefy motor 'eh? :D

rumble
02-18-2005, 04:15 PM
I only use 93 Octane and I only use WOT because for me this is what it's
all about.

Marauder? The name says it all.

jgc61sr2002
02-18-2005, 04:25 PM
I also only use only 93 octane.

merc406
02-18-2005, 06:23 PM

My 02 Continental (275hp Intec Engine) and my two previous 98 Continentals (260hp Intec Engines) all called for Premium fuel, but I always use 87 (86 in NM) and they never pinged on me.

Bought a muscle car and don't want to treat it right.... :bs: ....sell it.........

mpearce
02-18-2005, 09:25 PM
I only use 93 Octane and I only use WOT because for me this is what it's
all about.

Marauder? The name says it all.
Well said man...well said. :2thumbs:

93 for me only when I'm not close to the pump with 100 Unleaded. (opposite side of town) I've never used anything less than 100 unleaded at the track. Why? Because "I" want to. End of story. Too much money? So what.

-Mat

jjaguda
02-19-2005, 07:32 PM
marauder: noun

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap colSpan=2>Pronunciation: </TD><TD width=8> </TD><TD width="99%">mur'odur

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

marauder, predator, vulture, piranha -- (someone who attacks in search of booty)

McDonald's or Ruth's Chris?

QWK SVT
02-20-2005, 11:45 AM
Nothing but 93 or 94, depending on which station I go to. I can't believe I'm about to quote a Quaker State commercial, but:

You paid for 300 horses... are you sure you're getting all of them?

FordNut
02-20-2005, 12:22 PM

Mine (heavily modded) always gets 93, usually Amoco/BP or Chevron.

Wife's (stock) always gets 87, usually swill grade at the cheapest station around.

Both have 46,000 miles with no engine related problems so far.

BillyGman
02-20-2005, 12:36 PM
I run 93 in my car.

:burnout:Yep, me too. 93 octane is the only thing that goes in the tank of my Marauder, both on the street as well as at the track. :banana2:

And that has been the case since it was bone stock from the first day I drove it off the dealer's lot.

Freddyss
02-20-2005, 05:31 PM
CVPI = 8.4:1 compression
MM= 10.1:1 compression = detonation on low octane fuel = new engine = not worth the risk :confused: it's funny that my ss is 10.1:1 compression and I can still run 87 with no prob but there's a lot of people that runs 92 because thay think there getting a HP gain. I think the ss run better on 87 because u get a complate burn with the lower Octane sorry for Hi jackin the Thread i thought I would relate the with the ss sence it has the same compression:D

MENINBLK
02-22-2005, 11:48 AM
it's funny that my ss is 10.1:1 compression and I can still run 87 with no prob but there's a lot of people that runs 92 because thay think there getting a HP gain. I think the ss run better on 87 because u get a complate burn with the lower Octane sorry for Hi jackin the Thread i thought I would relate the with the ss sence it has the same compression:D

Same compression but you've got 2 valves per cylinder, where we have 4 valves.
The timing is probably the biggest difference other than displacement.
With the agressive timing that Ford uses, compared to the conservative timing
and larger displacement that GM uses, you guys can benefit from all grades of fuel.
It just depends on what you will be using your SS for, at the time you go to fill it up!

The difference in the octanes is not whether the burn is complete or not,
the engine management worries about how complete the burn is...
Lower Octane Fuel ignites FASTER and burns out Quicker.
Higher Octane Fuels Ignite Slower, and burn LONGER...
That's where the POWER comes in.
You want your cylinder full of fuel to stop burning and expanding
when the piston is close to the bottom of the stroke.
If it burns out before the piston gets halfway down the stroke,
you lose that much work, and that much Torque and Horsepower...

Of course, you CAN tune for low octane fuel, but generally,
larger displacement engines do better on mid to higher octane fuels.

michburt
02-22-2005, 12:00 PM
I have a Superchip Programmer installed and I ping so bad with low octane (put some in a ways back by mistake) that it feels like the car is going to blow up. I've always used high test in everything. Have a 03 Suburban and I get 3 miles more per gallon with high test.

Mike

NPG's Marauder
07-25-2005, 07:37 PM
We got highest octane 94 over here in Canada and no octane 93 is avaible!! but has 87,89,91 and 94(ultramar and petro canda gas station)
my question is is 93 same as 94? and also should i consider 91 at all time? I know i don't have the MM yet but I'm working on it!! thanks in advance..

MENINBLK
07-25-2005, 07:59 PM
I have a Superchip Programmer installed and I ping so bad with low octane (put some in a ways back by mistake) that it feels like the car is going to blow up. I've always used high test in everything. Have a 03 Suburban and I get 3 miles more per gallon with high test.

Mike

You are going to have to run the tank down in order to get most of it out.
Just drive it easy for the next 2 tank fulls and let the tank run down before you fill it again.
You should be okay after that.

Don't use any additives to boost the octane because they are worse than the low octane gas.
They wil leave deposits in the combustion chamber and that will make your engine run really bad.

MENINBLK
07-25-2005, 08:01 PM
We got highest octane 94 over here in Canada and no octane 93 is avaible!! but has 87,89,91 and 94(ultramar and petro canda gas station)
my question is is 93 same as 94? and also should i consider 91 at all time? I know i don't have the MM yet but I'm working on it!! thanks in advance..

There isn't that much of a diufference between 93 and 94 that you will notice,
except for the price between the two.
The Marauder needs a minimum of 91, so unless you can't afford 93 or 94,
or you are running a tune that needs higher than 91 octane,
there really is no need to burn anything higher.

Skiordie53
07-25-2005, 09:05 PM
only 93 or 94 octane in mine

Sully008
07-25-2005, 09:14 PM
You Canucks in on the east side have it good. Here in the 'Peg we only have 91. So that's what I had Lidio tune for. He probably would've gone more aggressive with the timing if I had 93 octane here. BTW, to answer the question, only 91 octane in my Marauder. Even at $1.03/L.

RF Overlord
07-25-2005, 10:07 PM
(unless) you are running a tune that needs higher than 91 octane, there really is no need to burn anything higher.
Don't use any additives to boost the octane because they are worse than the low octane gas.^^^what MIB said x2^^^

One more thing about octane boosters: the reason they don't work as expected is that when they claim to raise the octane "4 to 7 points", they don't explain that a "point" is actually a tenth of an octane rating...so a can of typical octane boost will raise 91 octane fuel to somewhere between 91.4 and 91.7...nowhere NEAR enough to make a noticeable difference.

kartherma
07-25-2005, 11:08 PM
OK, here is a question I would like to pose to the group:

In San Diego and Yuma I can only get 91 octane at best. I have noticed the last two times in Yuma I experienced a good bit of pinging under low loads with the A/C on. Granted, the outside temp was 115F plus... but I would not have thought that made THAT much of a difference. A guy can only take so much heat, and in Yuma Arizona that is for about 5-6 months of the year.
I did notice that the pinging did not come around until I had been out and around for about an hour.

What can I do to get this under control? If using "octane booster" is a bad thing and I generally cannot get at anything other than 91 octane pump gas, I dont know what to do.

suggesstions?

thanks and be good
Curt

RF Overlord
07-26-2005, 04:32 AM
I would not have thought that made THAT much of a difference. What can I do to get this under control?

Heat DOES make a big difference...

You said it pings under "low load"...did you mean low-speed load?...like driving up a modest incline at 30 MPH in 3rd? If it's like that, then some pinging under those "lugging" conditions is normal. If that's not what you meant, or if the pinging is excessive, then there's some other factor.

If your car is still under warranty, ask the dealer if there are any PCM flash updates. If not, then the only thing I can really think of is to find a good SCT tuner and have them look at the spark and fuel tables...pinging is usually caused by over-advanced timing, or an overly lean condition. But if you're going to go that far, just have them do a proper tune...it'll make a significant difference, especially with the transmission shifting.

A couple of other things to look for, but less likely:

Clogged fuel filter...has it been more than 25K?
Dirty MAF and/or throttle body...clean them with electrical contact cleaner (NOT carb cleaner!)

texascorvette
07-26-2005, 04:44 AM
When you pay a helluvalot of money for a car, why risk trashing it with low octane fuel and non-synthetic oil? Tain't worth it to me. 93 octane and Royal Purple.

Tinaree
07-26-2005, 06:53 AM
Regular gas is more prone to summer/winter formula changes. That usually means more alcohol in it in the summer. You take a big risk when you fill up with regular. On the other hand, premium may have sat in the tank for a year or two at some stations.

Wires
07-26-2005, 07:45 AM
Where I live, we have 87, 89 and 93 - 10 cents more for 89, and 20 cents more than 87. So, that's 20 cents more per gallon for 93.

19 gallons x .20 = 3 dollars and 80 cents difference.

Yes, it may be OK with 87, maybe driving style, temperature, etc. etc. etc. can affect things, yadda yadda yadda --- for 4 bucks, I'll do as the manual says.

risk/reward ratio is too high - if I need to save 4 bucks, I'll cut down on the Cokes and candy bars, or get the small drink.

MENINBLK
07-26-2005, 10:29 PM
^^^what MIB said x2^^^

One more thing about octane boosters: the reason they don't work as expected is that when they claim to raise the octane "4 to 7 points", they don't explain that a "point" is actually a tenth of an octane rating...so a can of typical octane boost will raise 91 octane fuel to somewhere between 91.4 and 91.7...nowhere NEAR enough to make a noticeable difference.

The cans DO explain this, you just have to read it to understand it.
Dale Jr. sponsors the 104+ BOOST product.
The can STATES that it will raise your fuel octane .1 right under the 104+ logo.

RF Overlord
07-27-2005, 04:30 AM
Actually, the bottles of 104+ I have left (since I stopped using it) do NOT explain it, and I CAN in fact read and I DO in fact understand it. The label does NOT state anything of the sort, other than on the back where it STATES "raises octane effect by 4 to 7 points".

twolow
07-27-2005, 04:37 AM
Where I live, we have 87, 89 and 93 - 10 cents more for 89, and 20 cents more than 87. So, that's 20 cents more per gallon for 93.

19 gallons x .20 = 3 dollars and 80 cents difference.

Yes, it may be OK with 87, maybe driving style, temperature, etc. etc. etc. can affect things, yadda yadda yadda --- for 4 bucks, I'll do as the manual says.

risk/reward ratio is too high - if I need to save 4 bucks, I'll cut down on the Cokes and candy bars, or get the small drink.
*claps* thats just about what I said the last time this topic was around.

The average MM owner is overweight (including myself) so wouldn't it be better to cut back on twinkies instead of cheap gas if your budget is too tight to allow a extra 3 bucks on gas?

My budget isn't so tight so I can have it all!!! *chews on twinkie while pumping premium*

MM03MOK
07-27-2005, 05:36 AM
the bottles of 104+ I have left (since I stopped using it)Please note that 104+ was never used in the Marauder. It was used in our 1968 Buick Skylark which was designed to run on 99 octane.

Marauderjack
07-28-2005, 04:02 AM
Go get some AvGas...100+ or Racing Gas to mix with your regular when mistakes are made??

If interested.....I have an additive for just these occasions that will raise 87 octane as much as 20 points (2 numbers).....It is sold in other parts of the world where gasoline is typically < 87 octane and diesel fuel is generally poor!! ;)

PM me if any are interested as my "Flame Suit" is currently at the cleaners!! :argue:

Marauderjack :D

PS: A gallon of Toluene, Xylene or Benzene will get you by as well!! :bows: