PDA

View Full Version : A night out on the town....

Krytin
02-18-2005, 05:20 PM
The wife and I went out last night to celebrate a number of things; Valentines Day, my recent birthday and a new job for me! My wife happened to notice that Brian Stokes Mitchell was puting on a caberet show at Feinstein's at the Regency Hotel on Park Ave. in Manhatan. Made the reservations for last night and we had one of the most enjoyable evenings in our lives!
Stokes has been making a name for himself on Broadway and after seeing/hearing him in Man of LaMancha it easy to understand why. He put on a nice asortment of jazz/show tunes and he can really fill a 150 seat club with his voice. I did not know who was backing him up for the band though! These guys are the best of the best in the jazz genre and who's playing the reeds (sax/clarinet/flute not at the same time) but Lou Marini! Lou played sax for "The Blues Brothers" - which may or may not be what he cares to be remembered for, but that's when I frist started listening to him! The best part is we sat at one of the front tables right off the stage - my knee was leaning against one of his horn stands! Got to talk to him through out the evening and the people we were sitting with knew Stokes & everyone else in the band! The performance from everyone was outstanding and it is a night I won't soon forget!
He will be there till the 19th - if you can still get a seat it's worth every penny!
Check this review: you're gonna have to cut and paste it

[/url][url="http://www.brianstokes.com/sthml/time_magazine_stoked.html"]www.brianstokes.com (http://www.brianstokes.com/sthml/time_magazine_stoked.html)

Now at this point more than a few people are saying "OK - that's nice. What does this have to do with MM's?" OK - I'll tell you!

Since dress was going to be jacket & tie, I decided to detail the MM and drive in and let the Hotel Valet park the car so I could have it waiting out front when the show was over - $48 plus tax but I figured what the heck!
We pull up & the Doorman opens the door for my wife, I'm pulling on my overcoat and asking him if he can have the car out front for the end of the show. He tells me the valet parking is picked up around the corner but would I prefer to leave the car out front? "If I can do that it would be perfect!" He said "no problem", I tossed him the valet key and headed in for the show. From where I was sitting, I could look out the front door and see the beast parked safe @ the curb!
After the show, we stepped out front, I asked Billy the doorman "what do I owe you?" He handed me the key and said "I don't know, what every you think it was worth." I took care of him! $$
The fun part was the look on everyone else's face who was waiting for a cab or limo while we hopped in the Marauder, lit up the engine & roared off down Park Ave!

Sorry for the long post - I couldn't help it!

hitchhiker
02-18-2005, 06:29 PM
The wife and I went out last night to celebrate a number of things; Valentines Day, my recent birthday and a new job for me! My wife happened to notice that Brian Stokes Mitchell was puting on a caberet show at Feinstein's at the Regency Hotel on Park Ave. in Manhatan. Made the reservations for last night and we had one of the most enjoyable evenings in our lives!
Stokes has been making a name for himself on Broadway and after seeing/hearing him in Man of LaMancha it easy to understand why. He put on a nice asortment of jazz/show tunes and he can really fill a 150 seat club with his voice. I did not know who was backing him up for the band though! These guys are the best of the best in the jazz genre and who's playing the reeds (sax/clarinet/flute not at the same time) but Lou Marini! Lou played sax for "The Blues Brothers" - which may or may not be what he cares to be remembered for, but that's when I frist started listening to him! The best part is we sat at one of the front tables right off the stage - my knee was leaning against one of his horn stands! Got to talk to him through out the evening and the people we were sitting with knew Stokes & everyone else in the band! The performance from everyone was outstanding and it is a night I won't soon forget!
He will be there till the 19th - if you can still get a seat it's worth every penny!
Check this review: you're gonna have to cut and paste it

www.brianstokes.com (http://www.brianstokes.com/sthml/time_magazine_stoked.html)

Now at this point more than a few people are saying "OK - that's nice. What does this have to do with MM's?" OK - I'll tell you!

Since dress was going to be jacket & tie, I decided to detail the MM and drive in and let the Hotel Valet park the car so I could have it waiting out front when the show was over - $48 plus tax but I figured what the heck!
We pull up & the Doorman opens the door for my wife, I'm pulling on my overcoat and asking him if he can have the car out front for the end of the show. He tells me the valet parking is picked up around the corner but would I prefer to leave the car out front? "If I can do that it would be perfect!" He said "no problem", I tossed him the valet key and headed in for the show. From where I was sitting, I could look out the front door and see the beast parked safe @ the curb!
After the show, we stepped out front, I asked Billy the doorman "what do I owe you?" He handed me the key and said "I don't know, what every you think it was worth." I took care of him! $$
The fun part was the look on everyone else's face who was waiting for a cab or limo while we hopped in the Marauder, lit up the engine & roared off down Park Ave!

Sorry for the long post - I couldn't help it!

Congrats on the new job. I just started one this week.

Regards,

David

BUCKWHEAT
02-18-2005, 06:53 PM
Congratulations on the new job, and on the show. I always thought the back up musicians on the Jake and Elwood CD's were the best ever. Love to crank 'em up in the MM & let it rip.

John

Bigdogjim
02-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Again Happy Birthday:up:

Congrats and best of luck with the job:2thumbs:

I would have loved to have seen the faces on the crowd when you took off :burnout:

Krytin
02-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Again Happy Birthday:up:

Congrats and best of luck with the job:2thumbs:

I would have loved to have seen the faces on the crowd when you took off :burnout: Thanks again everyone! It was all good!
Jim, you would have loved it!

Bluerauder
02-18-2005, 09:25 PM
The fun part was the look on everyone else's face who was waiting for a cab or limo while we hopped in the Marauder, lit up the engine & roared off down Park Ave!!
Would have loved to be there to see that !! :up: Did you give them the :D

Mike Poore
02-19-2005, 06:22 AM
Thanks again everyone! It was all good!
Jim, you would have loved it!
You should have posted it as "A KNIGHT out on the town". You, Sir, and your Lady, did it up proud. Congratulations!:woohoo:

PS: a big night out in our area is standing along the road and throwing rocks at critters.:D

Krytin
02-19-2005, 07:47 AM
You should have posted it as "A KNIGHT out on the town". You, Sir, and your Lady, did it up proud. Congratulations!:woohoo:

PS: a big night out in our area is standing along the road and throwing rocks at critters.:D Been there & done that! I also enjoy removing the screen guard off of the bug zapper to let the really BIG ones in! Fun is where you can find it - make the best of whatever situation you're in!
Thanks Mike,
Paul

jgc61sr2002
02-19-2005, 10:05 AM
Paul - Congrats and good luck with your new job. :D :up:

Krytin
02-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Thanks John! It's out in Calverton on the old air base. Nice long, empty runways - could be some potential there!

DefyantExWife
02-19-2005, 08:18 PM
Happy (belated) Birthday Krytin !!

:birthday:

Did you wear the skunk hat to this show you went to? :D

Krytin
02-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Happy (belated) Birthday Krytin !!

:birthday:

Did you wear the skunk hat to this show you went to? :D The hat has a "tail", but it wasn't required as it was not a "black tie" event! LOL
Thanks!