PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Get A **** Car

WantOneSoBad
02-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Okay, since I can't swing the cost of a Marauder I've been trying to find a car period. Every place I've went to said they can't finance me because I have no credit and because I haven't been on my current job for longer than 1 year and because I can't put no money down. I can't even get one from the shify eyed salesman at used lots. If anyone out there knows of something I can do, your helped would be greatly appreciated. Here's what I have going for me and what I don't.

PROS
Have 2 incomes
E-3 in the Army National Guard, about $180 a month
Make about $3,000 a month at Papa Johns
Can swing $400 a month car payments

CONS
No credit
Not fulltime active duty military
Can't put no money down, or if so very little
No co-signer

MM03MOK
02-21-2005, 10:53 AM
I don't know the answer to this but is there such a thing as getting pre-approved for a car loan, just like a homeowner can get pre-approved for a mortgage? Then you know exactly how much you can spend and sellers, knowing that financing is in place, might be willing to make a deal. You're too much of an unknown quantity and they're obviously not willing to take a risk.

You may have to adjust your sights on the car you can afford as opposed to the car you dream about. That will come in time and creating good credit is a must-do to get to that point in life where you can afford your dream.

Another option is delaying a purchase until you can make a downpayment and maybe qualify for a better loan for the car you want.

Okay, since I can't swing the cost of a Marauder I've been trying to find a car period. Every place I've went to said they can't finance me because I have no credit and because I haven't been on my current job for longer than 1 year and because I can't put no money down. I can't even get one from the shify eyed salesman at used lots. If anyone out there knows of something I can do, your helped would be greatly appreciated. Here's what I have going for me and what I don't.

PROS
Have 2 incomes

CONS
No credit
No co-signer

dwasson
02-21-2005, 11:09 AM
I really hate to sound this patronizing but, at your age, do you realy want to make payments and insurance payments on a newer car? When I was younger I bought a new car and it ate up all of my money to the point that I could barely afford to anything, including driving the car. Think about it and think if maybe you'd be better off driving a cheap car for five years, until the insurance gets cheap.

WantOneSoBad
02-21-2005, 11:43 AM
I would, but I can't get a car period. They either want credit, a co-signer, or a large down payment and I have neither.

Mike Poore
02-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Okay, since I can't swing the cost of a Marauder ...
CONS
No credit
No co-signer

Mike's plan #1.
Join the military, full time and get some training, perhaps a college degree program ...there are many fields that have wonderful employment potential at ETS.

Bust your butt and save your money. You're not talking to a bunch of rich kids here, who had daddy hand them everything they own. There's no free ride, and what you become, depends upon how much you're willing to work.

Remember theTV ad where the kids with Dodge Neons are partying and the really cool kid with the BMW is delivering their Pizza? I know it's tough to hear, but, for now, you're the pizza delivery guy. Wanting one so bad, ain't the same as doing something about it getting it.

Now, bend over, while grandpa gives you a good hard kick start! ;)

NAVCHAP
02-21-2005, 12:58 PM
If you can get recalled to active duty, you would have many options. For example, there are many good and reputable dealers in San Diego and in the northern part of the County near Camp Pendleton.

They are happy to work with young military folks, putting them into a car they can afford, with reasonable terms on the loan.

But you want to go someplace where they have a good reputation, and you know someone who has been happy with their customer service.

In the meantime, you probably want to try to establish your credit by getting a Mastercard or Visa Card. Charge only items you can afford, and use your card rather than cash.

Pay it off each month and it's like an interest free loan. As you establish your credit you can find a reputable dealer who will work with you.

Suggest that you start saving money and pay cash for a reliable car. Just sold a nice little pickup truck cheap to one of the young sailors on my ship.

His wife is going to have another child and he needed something he could pay for in cash. She will continue to drive their car until they can trade it for something bigger.

Since they have to move up in size on the family car, he had to buy an inexpensive and reliable "home to work" vehicle for himself.

BTW, if you are going to the sandbox with your Guard unit, you will have a great opportunity to save money.

While out of the USA you are eligible to buy a car under the military car sales program. Big discounts and large organization to back you up on any issues that happen with the car.

Keep working toward your goal. Maybe one of the members here has a inexpensive car they don't drive that much. Close enough to your location.

These are really good folks, you might catch a break. Put an ad in the classified section for "Car Wanted."

Best Wishes, -kjs-

gonzo50
02-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Every place I've went to said they can't finance me because I have no credit and because I haven't been on my current job for longer than 1 year and because I can't put no money down. Here's what I have going for me and what I don't.

PROS
Have 2 incomes

CONS
No credit
No co-signer
$3,000. a month at Papa Johns sounds like $750. a week. WOW !!! :confused:
Do you pay any rent or utilities or have any other bills, because if not than you should be able to save a ton of money with an income like that.

Save about 1/4 or 1/3 of your pay every week and in one year you'll have that down payment you need. Good Luck. :cool4:

2003 MIB
02-21-2005, 01:26 PM
My thoughts:
1. Listen to "Grandpa" Mike Poore.
2. NAVCHAP "The Padre" knows of which he speaks as well.
2. If you are hell bent on "must have a car" go to peoplefirst.com (Capital One Auto Finance) and do a loan application. You might be disappointed with the amount and your "dream car" may not be in the cards yet but you may be pre-approved and can shop with a check in hand.

wchain
02-21-2005, 01:46 PM
The other thing that they might be looking at is what part of your income is reported at Papa Johns? Are you counting 3,000 bucks a month includes tips? (you say you're a driver for them in your profile) you may only make half that from PJP, and the other half is unreported tips....Theyre looking at the check stub.... a lot of times, people are not going to finance you for a car if they know that you're going to use it for work, because later, if you default, the car has high miles/wear and tear at an early age. Would you really want to use a 300 HP car to deliver Pizza with? Perhaps a CV would be a good interim car before you step into a MM.....

Have you considered what everyone else here is saying? Go to school, Job Corps, Community College, Trade School, Military, get some formal job training, and a job that doesnt require you to use the car as a work tool. Right now, when you walk up to the sales lot, they see 'Pizza boy'.

The only other thing I can suggest is to get a Sears or Department store credit card, buy things you can afford to pay for, and pay it off in payments, to establish a credit history, to show that you are responsible enough to make installments on your debts.

I had to look/drool at Marauders for almost three years before I got my own. Now that I have one, I keep it under glass (ducks at people throwing stuff at me) I only drive it to work on Fridays, Church, Car Club Events, Social Events......

Anyway good luck.

MarauderMark
02-21-2005, 02:24 PM
I remember those days and my parents would'nt cosign nothing, made me mad..I wound up with a 69 442 and went to the junkyard and found a 70 455 4v and mixed the 2 together and had an ugly butt kikin car.i got into that car for some years and had 2 kids and relized i was old and ready to get a better car .went to the lot and bought a used 94 Z28 (first car i bought on credit).Then i've been in debt ever since..

Donny Carlson
02-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Based on what you've told us, you a very high credit risk. Short time on the job and the inability to provide a down payment are what's hurting you the most. Even still, there's a lot left out that makes it pretty hard to give you advice. Do you live at home, rent free? On your own? (if so, what's your rent?) Is your credit history just blank, or are there some negative things on it (like maybe a bad credit account, or skipped out on rent somewhere, medical charge offs, bad checks, etc.) You should check your credit record and score (you can get a report free if you've been turned down for credit).

Short employment history, or short time at a residence, denotes instability to lendors. Working at Papa Johns is not the best employment reference, unless you've been there a long time or are in management.

There are sources for auto loans for hard credit cases, but expect to pay premium interest rates and a substantial down payment. Even Ford Credit and GMAC offer first time buyer plans, but you'll have to meet certain criteria.

Your best bet is to buy a decent used car from a dealer or place like Carmax or Driver's Way and finance using one of their on-site "difficult credit" sources like Captial One, Omni Financial, or Associates, or even a local bank that writes paper on high risk notes. PAY IT ON TIME. Then, with a paid as agreed car reference, you should'nt have a lot of trouble getting traditional finacing through GMAC or Ford credit on a new car, providing you qualify for the payments on whatever it is you want to buy.

BTW, my first car I financed was on my own, no cosigner. A 1977 VW Scirrocco, new, listed for $6400.00. Financed it at a bank, too. How? $3000 down, 3 - year note. You put 50% down and they'll jump on the note.

Bluerauder
02-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Every place I've went to said they can't finance me because I have no credit and because I haven't been on my current job for longer than 1 year and because I can't put no money down.
Have you checked into one of the various federal credit unions that tend to cater to folks with military or government backgrounds? These folks are usually pretty understanding of new soldiers, marines, sailors, etc. starting off. :D Be very cautious of those dealers that offer the Bad credit, No credit offers ... the rates and fine print will ruin you. :(

WantOneSoBad
02-21-2005, 04:30 PM
I really do appreciate all the info but alot of it I've done tried. I'm staying with some room-mates right now who are also military and he just got orders for Germany and I have to be gone by the end of the week. So, thats the reason I can't put no money down, because I need to pay for a cheap ass apartment and around here they don't get no cheaper than $400ish. All I got is about $700 to my name and I still need to pay $200 to time warner plus my cell phone bill which will be around $100. So, basically I have to put those bills on hold till I can get me a car and find a place to stay.

I can't go active duty because my recruiter said I'll be getting activated sometime at the end of the year and they won't let me go because of that.
I make only $5.15 an hour at PJP fulltime and about $75-100 in tips each night, so I can only prove about $700 a month with paychecks.
I'm with a Military bank now but I can't get a loan from them because they require you being on the job at least 6 months if your not active duty.
I can't make any money to save right now because I'm not working, I'm trying to get me car so I can start working so I can start saving.

It's like a damn domino's effect, I can't do one thing cause of another.

I was thinking maybe there was dealer who could finance first time buyers with my situation, I already know Saturn won't, I saw them today and they couldn't do nothing.

Sully008
02-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Perhaps a CV would be a good interim car before you step into a MM.....

Hey man, easy on the CV ribbing! Some of us aren't so lucky! :D

The only other thing I can suggest is to get a Sears or Department store credit card, buy things you can afford to pay for, and pay it off in payments, to establish a credit history, to show that you are responsible enough to make installments on your debts.

Anyway good luck.

You need to build a credit history. Navchap has a good idea. If you talk to your bank, you might be able to apply for a low interest Visa or Mastercard, with a low (ie. $500) credit limit. Enough to bail you out of trouble (e.g. if you're a little short on rent), but not enough to get you into trouble. Make sure you pay it off on time. That's how I started my credit way back when. The only problem with a store credit card is the insanely high interest rates that they usually charge.

Good luck! Hopefully things will work out for you.

Mike Poore
02-21-2005, 06:55 PM
[QUOTE=WantOneSoBad] I can't go active duty because my recruiter said I'll be getting activated sometime at the end of the year and they won't let me go because of that. QUOTE]

Go see the Navy or Air Force recruiter, if the Army's giving you the shaft. Sounds like the Army guy's protecting his quota. :thinker:

teamrope
02-21-2005, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE=WantOneSoBad] I can't go active duty because my recruiter said I'll be getting activated sometime at the end of the year and they won't let me go because of that. QUOTE]

Go see the Navy or Air Force recruiter, if the Army's giving you the shaft. Sounds like the Army guy's protecting his quota. :thinker:

The Problem is, he is in the National Guard. It is up to the National Guard to let him go Active or not, reguardless of branch of sevice.

WOSB, when are you getting Mobed?

Vortex
02-22-2005, 08:32 AM
Best advice is stand pat for now, the last thing you want to do is buy a new car then have it sit for a year while you are on deployment. Wait til you come off active duty with the guard and then you can buy whatever you want.

WantOneSoBad
02-22-2005, 11:41 PM
To teamrope, its sometime this Fall, was suppose to be this spring but they keep pushing it back, thats why I need to do something because I don't have a for sure date when I will be getting mobilized and I know its at least 6 months away. I was looking at a Buick LaSabre and Century Custom, my friend knows a car dealer that will try to work with me but I'd still have to put about 1,000 down. I dont know how I'm going to do it but I figure I'll just live out of my car for like a week until I've made enuf to get and cheap ass apartment. Anyway, anyone know how these cars are, never owned a Buick before but I hear conflicting things on their reliability.

teamrope
02-23-2005, 09:45 PM
I HATE when that happens. I don't know enough about those cars to be of much help.

Hopefully they will quit yanking your chain. YOu should be able to save a good chunk on deployment once that happens.

David Morton
02-24-2005, 02:55 AM
Lots of good advice here. Ditto on the credit card exercises, pay off every month. You should be doing this whether you need a car or not, it will teach you how to budget your money if nothing else.

This is my 2c. Buy a $200-$400 beater out of the classifieds. As long as it runs. Drive it until it doesn't run and get another. Don't fix it, just leave it. Don't get a $25 battery, don't buy tires for it, don't do anything but buy it. This is without a doubt the cheapest way to drive. Sometimes you can drive one for a year or more.

And save your money. Walk in with a 25% down payment and they will find the credit for you.

teamrope
02-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Lots of good advice here. Ditto on the credit card exercises, pay off every month. You should be doing this whether you need a car or not, it will teach you how to budget your money if nothing else.

This is my 2c. Buy a $200-$400 beater out of the classifieds. As long as it runs. Drive it until it doesn't run and get another. Don't fix it, just leave it. Don't get a $25 battery, don't buy tires for it, don't do anything but buy it. This is without a doubt the cheapest way to drive. Sometimes you can drive one for a year or more.

And save your money. Walk in with a 25% down payment and they will find the credit for you.

That is along the lines I was thinking.

Sully008
02-24-2005, 09:44 AM

I agree here as well. I bought a used '87 Mustang for $750 Cdn, safetied. Drove the pi$$ out of it for six months until I could afford to buy an new car. The only things I did was change the oil once, and buy a set of cheap winter tires. Never washed it once. The rear springs were worn, half the gauges didn't work, passenger side window didn't roll down, etc... but it ran like a champ and got me through a rough time.

MSR7878
02-24-2005, 10:21 AM
I am with the guys that say go to the Navy Recruiter. If you can get him interested in you he will be able to get you out of the gaurd, and no offense to other services, but advancement and bonuses in the navy are awesome. I am in my 8th year of service and am an E-6, and I am now eligble for E-7. My second bonus paid for my MM, which was my second brand new car, it also put a big down payment on my wife's Mustang, which is my third new car, not to bad for a 26 year old enlisted person, if I may say so.

Captain Steve
02-24-2005, 11:33 AM

This is what I would advise too. If you're making 3k a month doing the pizza thing, you could pay off the beater, live in a cheap motel room and save 1st, last, and deposit for an apartment in one month.

teamrope
02-24-2005, 04:44 PM
I am with the guys that say go to the Navy Recruiter. If you can get him interested in you he will be able to get you out of the gaurd.

If his unit is under stop loss, his congresman would have a hard time getting him out of the Guard. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to flame anyone..
Just speaking from 4 years experience as a recruiter.

WantOneSoBad
02-24-2005, 10:41 PM
I'm probaly going to go the cheap ass beater route and just run that **** into the ground. Only problem is most all the ones I saw in the classifieds are around 1,000 and not closer to $500. If I find one hopefully, it will last long enough for me to make a few thousand and buy a car. I got a friend selling a 99 Buick Regal GS for $4k within the next couple months, drove it a little today, kinda shocked actually, it was comfortable, gets about 22 mpg city and has a little bit of go. Anyway, I really appreciate you'lls help, you'll are good people.