PDA

View Full Version : Work Trucks..

AtomicJim
02-22-2005, 12:08 PM
Ok, I've been swamped at work and my companies car (89 F-150) is dying slowly, it eats about 5qtrs of oil in a week :alone::help:
So, I've looking at new trucks. Do any of you have any suggestions? I'm looking at 2000-2003 F-150's, 2004 dakota's and Rams. I'll be putting 30-60k work HW miles on a year so reliability is a must. Gas mileage is sorta a concern but not really one at the same time ;) My Price range is 10-$17,000 so any input would be great :)

wchain
02-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Ok, I've been swamped at work and my companies car (89 F-150) is dying slowly, it eats about 5qtrs of oil in a week :alone::help:
So, I've looking at new trucks. Do any of you have any suggestions? I'm looking at 2000-2003 F-150's, 2004 dakota's and Rams. I'll be putting 30-60k work HW miles on a year so reliability is a must. Gas mileage is sorta a concern but not really one at the same time ;) My Price range is 10-$17,000 so any input would be great :)

Are you looking for 2WD or 4WD? Single, Ext or Crew Cab?

You can pick up an old body style F150 at a good deal. There was a dealer here that had like 5 Supercrew F150 XLT, 5.4L 2WD, 19-25K miles, your pick 17,999. Unless you dont want a supercrew.

I wouldn't really buy a dodge, but thats my opnion. When I was running the shop full time, I had more Chrysler products in with ECU and electrical gremlins, completely fried engine computers, suspension issues, freeze plugs falling out of the block, headlight bulbs that burned out repeatedly, trim issues, etc. Just IMO keep away from the Goats.....

AtomicJim
02-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Are you looking for 2WD or 4WD? Single, Ext or Crew Cab?

You can pick up an old body style F150 at a good deal. There was a dealer here that had like 5 Supercrew F150 XLT, 5.4L 2WD, 19-25K miles, your pick 17,999. Unless you dont want a supercrew.

I wouldn't really buy a dodge, but thats my opnion. When I was running the shop full time, I had more Chrysler products in with ECU and electrical gremlins, completely fried engine computers, suspension issues, freeze plugs falling out of the block, headlight bulbs that burned out repeatedly, trim issues, etc. Just IMO keep away from the Goats.....
I've heard mixed reviews on the new dodges. My dad's shop has had almost all the same amount of Ford, Dodge, Chevy trucks in all for differant problems. My boss has a '04 Ram and hasnt had one damn thing wrong with it, but he might just be lucky.

Sorry I forgot to add, I'd prefer SuperCrew/4dr if possible, but on '04's I dont think its permitting, price wise.

Bigdogjim
02-22-2005, 03:53 PM
What do what the truck to do?

Or what do NEED the truck to do?

Towing, hauling?

Large items, heavy items?

Mike Poore
02-22-2005, 04:02 PM

Ford still makes the "old" style, like my '02 F-150. They now call 'em the "Heritage" F-150, and they're offering them at a very good value. There's not a lot of options, but it's design is geared towards guys just like you. Check 'em out, on Ford's website. I really like mine. :D

Marauderman
02-22-2005, 04:58 PM
I'd go for the F-150 Supercrew---I bought a used '02, with about 18k miles on it and it is a great work truck--now has 50 K miles---about 19-20 mileage in town--with alot of highway miles in between---serves alot of purposes and can take passengers as well----doesn't use oil and ride is great ----hey wife likes it so much, she even wants it now and then for herself during the week----Tom

AtomicJim
02-22-2005, 06:06 PM
I do dock & hoist removal/install from march-november in Michigan. I need this truck to haul around my tools (roughly 200-400lbs tops), and tow from 1-5,000lbs. I know thats not a broad range but when we tow hoists, their weight varies, but we usually only tow smaller lifts, its rare a 5,000lb'er comes around. They are usually usually on a 6 wheel trailer and only for a max of 10miles (we charge a "little" more after that heh), dont know how much the trailer weights exactly.

As soon as I have this truck, the mods begin on the car ;) :D

edit: thanks for the pm bigdog - quite impressive :D

wchain
02-23-2005, 08:15 AM
Ford still makes the "old" style, like my '02 F-150. They now call 'em the "Heritage" F-150, and they're offering them at a very good value. There's not a lot of options, but it's design is geared towards guys just like you. Check 'em out, on Ford's website. I really like mine. :D

Not anymore.....They dropped it since they can now peddle the 4.2L V6 in the new trucks....too bad..it was a great value for the money too.....

Mike Poore
02-23-2005, 08:42 AM
Not anymore.....They dropped it since they can now peddle the 4.2L V6 in the new trucks....too bad..it was a great value for the money too.....
:eek: What a bunch of dopes! They've completly given up on the folks who've been making them the truck sales leaders for decades; namely, the tradesmen. Now if those guys want a work truck, they'll be buying a Dodge or Chevy. Way to go Ford, you stupid bastages.

AtomicJim, you still might be able to find one of the Ford F-150 Heritage pickups, it's a great bargain.

wchain
02-23-2005, 09:09 AM
:eek: What a bunch of dopes! They've completly given up on the folks who've been making them the truck sales leaders for decades; namely, the tradesmen. Now if those guys want a work truck, they'll be buying a Dodge or Chevy. Way to go Ford, you stupid bastages.

AtomicJim, you still might be able to find one of the Ford F-150 Heritage pickups, it's a great bargain.

They'll start dropping prices soon. theres a XL Work Package on the new body style now, delete A/C (becomes optional vs standard on the XL), comes with vinyl flight bench, argent wheels, argent grille, AM/FM Stero, etc.

Mike Poore
02-23-2005, 10:13 AM
They'll start dropping prices soon. theres a XL Work Package on the new body style now, delete A/C (becomes optional vs standard on the XL), comes with vinyl flight bench, argent wheels, argent grille, AM/FM Stero, etc.
Yeh, Wes, but it STILL has 4 doors, and an automatic transmission. That adds $2,000 to the base price, I reckon. Perhaps the same folks are making marketing decisions at Ford and Jack Daniels. :censor:

Let's see? I know! We'll make a list of the ten most stupid things we can do, then pick the top five! :banned:

Mike Poore
02-23-2005, 12:26 PM
Yeh, Wes, but it STILL has 4 doors, and an automatic transmission. That adds $2,000 to the base price, I reckon. Perhaps the same folks are making marketing decisions at Ford and Jack Daniels. :censor:

Let's see? I know! We'll make a list of the ten most stupid things we can do, then pick the top five! :banned:
Hey guys, lookie here at what I just found!

http://www.bankrate.com/images/BestWorstCars04/03_ChevyF150_02_150.jpg2004 Ford F150 Heritage pickup
The arrival of an all-new 2004 F150 was rightly heralded, but Ford produces so many pickups at so many facilities, it had to continue to build the old model -- rebadged as the Heritage -- alongside the all-new model. These Heritage models have the same reliability and utility that made the F150 a best buy, and if you can find one on the back of a dealer's lot you can make a steal.