PDA

View Full Version : First Responder - Saving Lives

woaface
02-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Tonight I was on my way to a school play and about three fourths of a mile from the school I see traffic start to back up. We're on a two lane road. At first I think "Hey, maybe it's popular..." But as I get closer I remember "No, this much traffic requires a football game, and a good one" Traffic stalls and there are a few people going around what appears to be a wreck . No firetrucks are there so go figure, no police or ambulance either. It's new. I can't move but after about 5 minutes I hear sirens behind me. It's the Boiling Springs Fire Department F350 rescue truck. Right behind it by about 30 seconds is one of the company's engines. The jaws of life are being brought out and an officer comes up to me "Did you guys see anything." "No, we arrived afterwards" He nods his head "Well this is going to take a while, better turn around."

I get out and pull into a condo parking lot just across the street. I've already got my camera on hand and I see the truck involved. One vehicle down, two passengers, no witnesses. It looks bad. The bottom half of the truck is basically torn from the bed of the truck, and things are mangled. I'm roughly 20 feet from the wreck. I bend down to balance myself for a picture of everything taking place and 5 feet in front of me I see a shoe lying in the grass.

I go ahead and snap the shot and a lady comes up to me and says "Are those digital pictures." I feel bad suddenly "I don't mean any disrespect, I was just..." " No no, I want copies! You see that play ground (points to other side of road, that we're on, behind us) I knew this was going to happen, and one day it could have been these kids playing here. All I wanted was for them to move it just a little ways over there out of harms way. That guy there could have rolled the other way and done who knows what"

Good point. I get her card, snap a few more pictures, and I called the news station when I got home about the idea. Didn't seem enthusiastic but they play stupid crap all the time, I'm sure they'll take it, there were many concerned parents there. The play was good and they delayed it so we made it on time.

Anyways, hopefully someone's life was saved tonight. Many men there worked hard to make sure of it. I felt a lot safer knowing that when something happens to me, these guys will be there running around doing their job to make sure my ass is ok. And I don't know them.

Rider90
02-27-2005, 03:09 PM
That's what we're here for!

woaface
02-27-2005, 03:21 PM
Your service is always much needed and appreciated.

Donny Carlson
02-27-2005, 03:40 PM
are you allowed to say the word "ass" at home, James?

Mike Poore
02-27-2005, 04:04 PM
Tonight I was on my way to a school play ... Anyways, hopefully someone's life was saved tonight. Many men there worked hard to make sure of it. .
Nice photo essay, James. :2thumbs: