PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Laws

MarauderMark
02-28-2005, 08:01 AM
I wonder if these are still laws?? Sure would hate to be on the news being convicted of one of these laws.. :rolleyes:

Alabama
It is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while operating a vehicle.

Dominoes may not be played on Sunday.

It is illegal to wear a fake mustache that causes laughter in church.

California
Sunshine is guaranteed to the masses.

Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.

Bathhouses are against the law. [Get the full text of this law.]

It is a misdemeanor to shoot at any kind of game from a moving vehicle, unless the target is a whale.

Women may not drive in a house coat.

Florida
Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.

A special law prohibits unmarried women from parachuting on Sunday or she shall risk arrest, fine, and/or jailing.

If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

It is illegal to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit.

Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.

Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.

It is illegal to skateboard without a license.

When having sex, only the missionary position is legal.

Kansas[/SIZE
Prohibits shooting rabbits from a motorboat.

[SIZE=3]Louisiana
It is illegal to rob a bank and then shoot at the bank teller with a water pistol.

Indiana
It is illegal for a liquor store to sell cold soft drinks.

Liquor stores may not sell milk.

Michigan
You may not swear in front of women and children in the state of Michigan.

Nebraska
It is illegal for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup.

New York
A fine of $25 can be levied for flirting. This old law specifically prohibits men from turning around on any city street and looking "at a woman in that way." A second conviction for a crime of this magnitude calls for the violating male to be forced to wear a "pair of horse-blinders" wherever and whenever he goes outside for a stroll.

It is against the law to throw a ball at someone's head for fun.

A license must be purchased before hanging clothes on a clothesline.

The penalty for jumping off a building is death.

North Dakota
Beer and pretzels can't be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant.

It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on.

Ohio
It is illegal to fish for whales on Sunday.

It is illegal to get a fish drunk.

Pennsylvania
A person is not eligible to become Governor if he/she has participated in a duel.

Texas
It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.

It is illegal to drive without windshield wipers. You don't need a windshield, but you must have the wipers.

It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.

It is illegal to milk another person's cow.

A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.

The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.

Wisconsin
You must manually flush all urinals in a building.

Butter substitutes are not allowed to be served in state prisons.

The content for this section is courtesy of dumblaws.com where you can find hundreds of additional "dumb laws".

HERE'S SOME INTERNATIONAL DUMB LAWS....

Australia
Children may not purchase cigarettes, but can smoke them.

You may never leave your car keys in an unattended vehicle.
It is illegal to roam the streets wearing black clothes, felt shoes and black shoe polish on your face as these items are the tools of a cat burglar.

It is illegal to read someone's tarot, or give them a psychic reading as these are forms of witchcraft.

Under Australian Communications Authority (ACA) regulations, your modem can't pick up on the first ring. If it does the ACA permit for your modem is invalid and there's a $12000 fine. - Telecommunications Act 1991.

England
Those wishing to use a television must apply for a license.

It is illegal to leave baggage unattended.

Picking up abandoned baggage is as act of terrorism.

France
Between the hours of 8AM and 8PM, 70% of the music in the radio must be by French composers.

Thailand
It is illegal to leave your house if you are not wearing underwear.

You must wear a shirt while driving a car.

You must pay a fine of $600 in Thailand if you're caught throwing away chewed bubblegum on the sidewalk. If you do not pay the fine, you are jailed.

No one may step on any of the nation's currency.
NOTE: Can you imagine someone with a bill tied to a string pulling it in front of poeples feet on the sidewalk..:rofl: Sounds like something from Candid camara..

TechHeavy
02-28-2005, 08:28 AM
"It is illegal to lie down and fall asleep with your shoes on."

I'd be in trouble for sure in North Dakota! :rolleyes:

MERCMAN
02-28-2005, 10:25 AM
Indiana
It is illegal for a liquor store to sell cold soft drinks.

Liquor stores may not sell milk.

That law is still in effect, which is why you will see pop machines OUTSIDE of every liquor store. I find this rather funny since you can buy Jim Beam and cola in the store!!!

I have never seen milk in an Indiana package store, so I assume that also is still in effect.

dwasson
02-28-2005, 11:51 AM
From: The Scotsman (http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=216992005 )

Student plans 'crime spree' breaking odd American laws

JIM MCBETH

A MADCAP student is embarking on an epic 18,000-mile journey across the United States to break the law in a "crime" spree worthy of Bonnie and Clyde.

Fortunately, his transgressions are not likely to land him in jail, because he will break only bizarre and arcane legislation, such as the prohibition against falling asleep in any cheese factory in South Dakota.

Richard Smith, 23, from Portreath in Cornwall, will also attempt to play cards with a Native American, which is against the law in Globe, Arizona.

He will flout the authorities by loudly declaiming "Oh Boy!" in Jonesborough, Georgia, and by driving round the town square in Oxford, Mississippi, more than 100 times on a single occasion.

Mr Smith’s other planned "illegal" exploits include playing golf in the streets of Albany, New York, and whale hunting in Salt Lake City, Utah - a state with no coastline.

"I got the idea when I was playing a board game with my neighbour in 2002," he said.

"The game featured laws which were ludicrous and I thought they would be enjoyable to break for real."

Mr Smith is in talks with a publisher about a book and he plans to document his experiences on broadcast-quality film, in case television companies show an interest. He said: "I’m excited about the trip and the prospect of a book."

Mr Smith intends to break 40 strange state and town laws as he crosses the United States, and fittingly he will begin his journey at Alcatraz, the former prison island off San Francisco.

Dr Caleb
02-28-2005, 11:57 AM
England
Those wishing to use a television must apply for a license.

That's still in effect. It's how they fund the public broadcasting system, the BBC.

Here's a couple local ones still on the books:

In Alberta, businesses must provide rails for tying up horses.
In Alberta, It is illegal to set fire to the wooden leg of a wooden legged man.
In Wetaskiwin, Alberta It's against the law to tie a male horse next to a female horse on Main Street.
It is illegal for a man to drink with a woman in any Edmonton beer parlour.
It is illegal for a teen to walk down main street in Fort Qu'Appelle with their shoes untied.

I couldn't find reference to it on the 'net, but I believe that if you see a native on main street in Medicine Hat, Alberta after 6 O'Clock, it is legal to shoot him. Of course, we can't carry guns anymore . . . but no one to my knowledge has repealed that law yet.

Our whacky ancestors ;)

QWK SVT
02-28-2005, 07:57 PM
That's still in effect. It's how they fund the public broadcasting system, the BBC.

Here's a couple local ones still on the books:

In Alberta, businesses must provide rails for tying up horses.
In Alberta, It is illegal to set fire to the wooden leg of a wooden legged man.
In Wetaskiwin, Alberta It's against the law to tie a male horse next to a female horse on Main Street.
It is illegal for a man to drink with a woman in any Edmonton beer parlour.
It is illegal for a teen to walk down main street in Fort Qu'Appelle with their shoes untied.

I couldn't find reference to it on the 'net, but I believe that if you see a native on main street in Medicine Hat, Alberta after 6 O'Clock, it is legal to shoot him. Of course, we can't carry guns anymore . . . but no one to my knowledge has repealed that law yet.

Our whacky ancestors ;)And some from Ontario:
City of Ottawa - It is illegal to eat ice-cream on Bank Street on a Sunday.
City of Guelph - The city is classified as a no-pee zone.
City of Toronto - It is illegal to drag a dead horse down Yonge St. on a Sunday.
City of London - It is against city by-law to allow the grass in your front lawn to grow taller than 1-1/2 inches. If it does, the city will mow it for you, and fine you $200
Federal - It is illegal to pretend to practice witchcraft.
Federal - It is illegal for clear or non-dark sodas to contain caffeine.
Section 331 of the Canadian Criminal Code states that it is illegal to send a telegram or letter threatening a bird.

Directedby
02-28-2005, 07:59 PM
DUMB LAW IN CALIFORNIA -

It is illegal to remove or tamper with CATS on Maruader!!!!

01 Interceptor
03-01-2005, 11:01 AM
http://www.badpets.net/Humor/Dumb/SillyLaws.html

Notables:

In Seattle, Washington, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon that is over six feet in length.

In Memphis, Tennessee, it is illegal for a woman to drive a car unless there is a man either running or walking in front of it waving a red flag to warn approaching motorists and pedestrians.

Idaho state law makes it illegal for a man to give his sweetheart a box of candy weighing less than fifty pounds.

2003 MIB
03-01-2005, 01:00 PM
I wonder if these are still laws?? Sure would hate to be on the news being convicted of one of these laws.. :rolleyes:

If an elephant is left tied to a parking meter, the parking fee has to be paid just as it would for a vehicle.

Men may not be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.

Having sexual relations with a porcupine is illegal.

When having sex, only the missionary position is legal.

It is illegal to milk another person's cow.

I can attest that all these laws are still on the books. That was a bad night.
Stupid match.com:depress: