PDA

View Full Version : LEOs "not looking"?

TechHeavy
03-02-2005, 04:13 PM
Hi guys.

These questions pertain to something which may be considered common knowledge to some of you, but it's not to me... so I'm asking.

If an LEO in his cruiser on an Interstate Highway is in the right-hand lane, does this mean that he (or she) is NOT actively operating radar and is NOT "looking" for speeders? If so:

Question 1: Is this because there is a range set for the radar and he/she needs to be in the left lane?

Question 2: Is this simply because when actively looking for speeders the LEO doesn't want anyone to pass him on the left, (which would interfere with his speed detection from the opposite direction)?

Being a delivery driver, (for a living) I find this a curiosity, (especially when I have that last package to get off the truck to a business before 5pm).... :)

I'd love to hear what some of our member LEOs have to say about this!

Thanks!

fastblackmerc
03-02-2005, 04:23 PM
Hi guys.

These questions pertain to something which may be considered common knowledge to some of you, but it's not to me... so I'm asking.

If an LEO in his cruiser on an Interstate Highway is in the right-hand lane, does this mean that he (or she) is NOT actively operating radar and is NOT "looking" for speeders? If so:

Question 1: Is this because there is a range set for the radar and he/she needs to be in the left lane?

Question 2: Is this simply because when actively looking for speeders the LEO doesn't want anyone to pass him on the left, (which would interfere with his speed detection from the opposite direction)?

Being a delivery driver, (for a living) I find this a curiosity, (especially when I have that last package to get off the truck to a business before 5pm).... :)

I'd love to hear what some of our member LEOs have to say about this!

Thanks!
I'm not a LEO but I don't think it makes any difference what lane they are in to track you with radar. I'm most likely wrong but that's my $0.02. :D

Constable
03-02-2005, 04:27 PM
It means he's driving in the right hand lane. No special meaning. In NJ the left lane is reserved for passing vehicles. When I'm not passing cars, I move into the right lane.

If he is on a highway, then usually stationary radar in the median is preferred to moving radar in the oncoming lanes. There's more variables to contend with when moving in traffic. It's also harder to safely slow down, cut a median, and accelerate to catch a speeder. Better off just sitting in the center or on the side of the roadway and chasing from a stand-still.

You did mention the "drive at speed limit and wait for someone to pass me" technique. I use it from time to time, but it's not often that someone will pass you at a high rate of speed (a speed worth stopping).

I wouldn't worry about passing the right-laned LEO. Just do it slowly. And don't tell him I said it was OK when you get stopped.

TechHeavy
03-02-2005, 04:36 PM
It means he's driving in the right hand lane. No special meaning. In NJ the left lane is reserved for passing vehicles. When I'm not passing cars, I move into the right lane.

If he is on a highway, then usually stationary radar in the median is preferred to moving radar in the oncoming lanes. There's more variables to contend with when moving in traffic. It's also harder to safely slow down, cut a median, and accelerate to catch a speeder. Better off just sitting in the center or on the side of the roadway and chasing from a stand-still.

You did mention the "drive at speed limit and wait for someone to pass me" technique. I use it from time to time, but it's not often that someone will pass you at a high rate of speed (a speed worth stopping).

I wouldn't worry about passing the right-laned LEO. Just do it slowly. And don't tell him I said it was OK when you get stopped.
Thanks Constable. Sweet! That answered a lot of questions for me... I know you guys give us, "guys in brown" a little leeway, which is really appreciated towards the end of the day. Returning to the hub with packages still in your truck is kind of like returning to base camp without the wounded.... like you didn't do your job.... plus there's the butt-chewing from the Supe.

Thanks again for the feedback! :)

cyclopsram
03-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Buster Brown and all your associates: You do a great job and have a great reputation for doing things right...Just make sure you wash the Package Car every day and the Supe is happy...I always wave to you guys and gals cuz I know how the job is at 100 percent all the time. Hopefully you will race the truck on Nascar some day... RAM M79 content: My Crown Vics always give MM the right of way... well deserved with 4 cams!!

Bluerauder
03-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Does this mean that you are finally gonna race the Big Brown Truck, Dale?? :rofl:

CrazyCor15
03-02-2005, 06:33 PM
Not an LEO, but I've done numerous ride-alongs with the Arizona Highway Patrol. Apparently, they're "not supposed to" conduct moving radar.... I don't know why, but that's what the officer told me.

Brutus
03-02-2005, 07:03 PM

I for one agreee for the most part. I generally will not write a ticket unless you are 15+ over, however, nothing pisses me off more then someone passing me (when I am at least going the speed limit). And the crocodile tears, bring em on ladies! Like I was told many times as a kid, "I will give you something to cry about!!"

DefyantExWife
03-03-2005, 10:27 AM
However, nothing pisses me off more then someone passing me (when I am at least going the speed limit). And the crocodile tears, bring em on ladies! Like I was told many times as a kid, "I will give you something to cry about!!"

:bs:

:laugh:

Shaft333
03-03-2005, 10:59 AM
I for one agreee for the most part. I generally will not write a ticket unless you are 15+ over, however, nothing pisses me off more then someone passing me (when I am at least going the speed limit).
Why does it piss you off more than anything?

TechHeavy
03-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Buster Brown and all your associates: You do a great job and have a great reputation for doing things right...Just make sure you wash the Package Car every day and the Supe is happy...I always wave to you guys and gals cuz I know how the job is at 100 percent all the time. Hopefully you will race the truck on Nascar some day... RAM M79 content: My Crown Vics always give MM the right of way... well deserved with 4 cams!!
Thanks cyclopsram! Thanks for the Kudos and I always keep my Package Car clean! :rolleyes: lol.

TechHeavy
03-03-2005, 02:20 PM
Does this mean that you are finally gonna race the Big Brown Truck, Dale?? :rofl:
Lol! :D Well, if Dale used a Big Brown Truck he could carry the pit crew with him! :)

TechHeavy
03-03-2005, 02:21 PM
I for one agreee for the most part. I generally will not write a ticket unless you are 15+ over, however, nothing pisses me off more then someone passing me (when I am at least going the speed limit). And the crocodile tears, bring em on ladies! Like I was told many times as a kid, "I will give you something to cry about!!"
Ok Brutus! Thanks for the heads-up! No passing the LEO on the freeway! ;) :)

ctrcbob
03-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Im going to give you a little "secret" about "Moving Radar", but first I have to give you a little background.

In one of my vehicles, I have two (2) radar detectors. (I will call them old and new). Normally both of them will go off when an LEO is using his moving radar coming in my direction however once in a while only the old detector would go off and the new was silent. At first I thought that there was something wrong with the new one. (WTF, is this thing broken already?)

Well I started to study how the moving radar works. I had always assumed (wrong) that there was some kind on physical connection to the cruisers speedometer in order for the radar signal to compare the two speeds. WRONG.

The Radar in the cruiser is in fact "Two Radars" working on two different frequencies. One frequency is shooting a signal towards your car, and the other frequency is shooting a signal towards the side of the road, picking up things like trees, signs, posts, or anything that will reflect a signal back to the cruiser. The device in the cruiser then compares the speed of the second signal that is shooting the things on the side of the road, (I.E. getting cruisers speed) and compares it with the first signal that is shooting the closing speed of your car. This is the speed that is shown on his device.

What was happening with my two radar detectors was that the LEO had his radar off, but it was not really off, just on "standby". On standby, the signal that shoots the side of the road was still there, and that was the signal that my old unit picked up.

I hope all this makes sense to you,.

TechHeavy
03-03-2005, 03:05 PM
Im going to give you a little "secret" about "Moving Radar", but first I have to give you a little background.

In one of my vehicles, I have two (2) radar detectors. (I will call them old and new). Normally both of them will go off when an LEO is using his moving radar coming in my direction however once in a while only the old detector would go off and the new was silent. At first I thought that there was something wrong with the new one. (WTF, is this thing broken already?)

Well I started to study how the moving radar works. I had always assumed (wrong) that there was some kind on physical connection to the cruisers speedometer in order for the radar signal to compare the two speeds. WRONG.

The Radar in the cruiser is in fact "Two Radars" working on two different frequencies. One frequency is shooting a signal towards your car, and the other frequency is shooting a signal towards the side of the road, picking up things like trees, signs, posts, or anything that will reflect a signal back to the cruiser. The device in the cruiser then compares the speed of the second signal that is shooting the things on the side of the road, (I.E. getting cruisers speed) and compares it with the first signal that is shooting the closing speed of your car. This is the speed that is shown on his device.

What was happening with my two radar detectors was that the LEO had his radar off, but it was not really off, just on "standby". On standby, the signal that shoots the side of the road was still there, and that was the signal that my old unit picked up.

I hope all this makes sense to you,.
Wow! Very interesting! I started this thread in the hopes of possibly learning the "mind-set" of an LEO in the right-hand lane... (if he's in the right-hand lane does that mean he's "not looking" for speeders, and if so, what reasons) but you just gave a great descriptive explanation on how the radar works. Thanks for that! :) Great info!

LimoMerc
03-03-2005, 03:33 PM
TechHeavy,

Please do not kill yourself for Big Brown. I spent 9 years 8 months working for them and I'm always in some sort of pain. Tell them when they get there stop watches out that your on break. File greavances with the Union if they give you more than your share of work. I wish I had, instead I let them run me out two months from my pension. And everyday I have pain.

TechHeavy
03-03-2005, 04:06 PM
TechHeavy,

Please do not kill yourself for Big Brown. I spent 9 years 8 months working for them and I'm always in some sort of pain. Tell them when they get there stop watches out that your on break. File greavances with the Union if they give you more than your share of work. I wish I had, instead I let them run me out two months from my pension. And everyday I have pain.
Hey LimoMerc. Don't worry.... I've already learned that the faster I go, the more packages are put on my truck. This happens to all the drivers that try to do a good job, but I'm aware of it and try to keep a balance with safety in mind as well. But I don't want this thread to get side-tracked, (though I appreciate your concern and comments). As I mentioned earlier, I really just wanted to possibly discover what LEOs may be thinking when they are in the slow lane and due to the feedback from some of our member LEOs I think I have a handle on that now.

David Morton
03-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Sounds to me you are looking for advice from a duty bound officer of the law on when and how you can break the law!

Bad guy! In some states, this is a crime! Constable may be guilty of aiding and abetting as well.

I hope you've learned your lesson. :rolleyes:

TechHeavy
03-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Sounds to me you are looking for advice from a duty bound officer of the law on when and how you can break the law!

Bad guy! In some states, this is a crime! Constable may be guilty of aiding and abetting as well.

I hope you've learned your lesson. :rolleyes:

That's not true! I never go more than 5mph over the limit anyway, (even on the freeway). I was just curious about the left-lane vs. right-lane cruise, and what it meant.:alone: