PDA

View Full Version : Denzel Washington visits Brooke Burn Center

Bluerauder
03-07-2005, 05:55 PM
Got this recently from a friend. Another good news story ..... :D

"Subject: Denzel Washington

Denzel Washington was visiting BAMC (Brooke Army Medical Center, in San Antonio, Texas) the other day. This is where soldiers that have been evac'd from Germany come to be hospitalized in the States, especially burn victims. They have buildings there called Fisher Houses. The Fisher House is a hotel that soldiers' families can stay at, for little or no charge, while their soldier is staying in the hospital. BAMC has quite a few of these houses on base, but as you can imagine, they are almost filled to the brim most of the time. While Denzel Washington was visiting BAMC, they gave him a tour of one of the Fisher Houses.

He asked how much one of them would cost to build. He got his check book out and wrote a check out for the full amount right there on the spot. The
soldiers overseas were amazed to hear this story and want to get the word out to the American public, because it warmed their hearts to hear it."

MarauderMark
03-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Wtg Denzel Washington..:up:

glassman99
03-07-2005, 06:04 PM
NOT the typical Hollywood sterotype. Way to go Denzel!!! (He MUST drive a Marauder!) :banana2:

bigslim
03-07-2005, 07:12 PM
He is a class act. One of my favorite actors.

MyTMerc
03-07-2005, 07:31 PM
Way to go Denzel! That's an outstanding way to support our troops (both the visit and the check)! :beer:

Thanks for sharing that Charlie :)

jgc61sr2002
03-07-2005, 07:35 PM
That is absolutly wonderful. :2thumbs:

ole69
03-07-2005, 07:40 PM
That's where I did my Army AIT,in Ft Sam Houston
Nice Base and excellent story
I love nearly all his movies from Carbon Copy to Manchurian Candidate

NAVCHAP
03-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Nice going DW! Preacher's son turned out okay. One of the greatest ever in his profession, and totally committed to giving something back. Very Respectfully,-kjs-

LCSO34
03-07-2005, 10:47 PM
I think I read somewhere that he has a son who is a Marine, and that he's in Iraq.

Patrick
03-08-2005, 12:21 PM
:bows: :bows: :2thumbs:

Haggis
03-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Way to go Denzel! That's an outstanding way to support our troops (both the visit and the check)! :beer:

Thanks for sharing that Charlie :)

Amen...Thanks Denzel for supporting the troops. :2thumbs: :up: :2thumbs:

Vortex
03-08-2005, 05:41 PM
A few weeks back I read in one of the local papers he made a visit to BAMC and presented a few purple heart medals to some of the wounded soldiers. I will tell you honestly I was real pissed because there was no mention of the medals being presented by an senior Army or Marine officer or whoever, just a guy who played them on tv and I couldnt understand who the hell would authorize that publicity stunt. Anyway, now I read this and it does make me feel better for both the soldiers that met him as well as DW himself for making this nice gift.

Mike Poore
03-08-2005, 05:41 PM
Good for you, Denzel! I hope you drive a Marauder also. Good people do good things, and he's definatly one of the best. Perhaps we could invite him to Marauderville & the Dream Cruise. I bet he'd get a kick out of cruising the strip with Keith. :)

jdando
03-08-2005, 06:22 PM
:(

sorry to rain on the parade :(

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/denzel.asp

At least he did go and visit the hospital.

jeremy

Bluerauder
03-08-2005, 10:05 PM
:(

sorry to rain on the parade :(

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/denzel.asp

At least he did go and visit the hospital.

jeremy
Thanks for the link and for clearing up the story !!! :D Its still a good news story in my opinion and the real version provides a lot more detail.

LCSO34
03-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Well crap, I was wrong. Friggin E-mail junk I read, from now own I will stick to reading anatomy enlargement and "hot chicks want you" e-mail.

Mike Poore
03-09-2005, 05:35 AM
Well crap, I was wrong. Friggin E-mail junk I read, from now own I will stick to reading anatomy enlargement and "hot chicks want you" e-mail.Now, THAT's Funny! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :laugh:

And .....perhaps 'ol Denzel will read these and pull out his checkbook, after all.

Never mind, he did take the time to show his support for our boys and their famlies who are serving this country. A far different course than many in his position have chosen.

martyo
03-09-2005, 05:57 AM
Well crap, I was wrong. Friggin E-mail junk I read, from now own I will stick to reading anatomy enlargement and "hot chicks want you" e-mail.

And don't forget to cover your V.I.N. too! Folks look through yoru windshield, steal your V.I.N.s and use them to steal cars.

LCSO34
03-09-2005, 08:54 AM
I live in MS, the idiots around here do good just to read, criminals that is.

And don't forget to cover your V.I.N. too! Folks look through yoru windshield, steal your V.I.N.s and use them to steal cars.

David Morton
03-09-2005, 09:09 AM
And don't forget to cover your V.I.N. too! Folks look through yoru windshield, steal your V.I.N.s and use them to steal cars.Snopes did a so-called debunking on that one. I had posted a new thread (clicky here (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16429&highlight=VIN%23)) on what fits there really well and Wes dug up the supposed hoax but reading the site comments just convinced me it's a good idea anyways.

Check it out. It also debunks the "foolproof" PATS we're supposed to have. Makes me want to install a locking steering wheel column so I can get back to my old habit of turning the wheels toward the curb before I remove the key.