PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain the mercury emblem?

FW_Linc/Merc
03-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Having recently purchased a Mercury, I must ask this question. Can someone please explain to me the stylized Mecury logo.? I just don't see a "M" in it and it just looks stupid to me. Am I missing the symbolism?

merc406
03-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Can someone explain it...........Nope

MERCMAN
03-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Having recently purchased a Mercury, I must ask this question. Can someone please explain to me the stylized Mecury logo.? I just don't see a "M" in it and it just looks stupid to me. Am I missing the symbolism?

I believe that the "hockey sticks" are supposed to represent the wings on the god Mercury's helmet. Pretty lame, myself I prefer the god's head.

BTW welcome to the site from another Hoosier, not many of us here :up:

dwasson
03-14-2005, 11:29 AM
It represents a waterfall. This was used to show how the marketshare of Mercury has plunged over the years.

Mike Poore
03-14-2005, 11:38 AM
It represents a waterfall. This was used to show how the marketshare of Mercury has plunged over the years.Dan always has the best answers. :D

Actually, the hockey sticks are supposed to illustrate the fate of the National Hockey League, exactly where Mercury division is headed. ;)

Many of us have found novel and clever replacements that are quite attractive. Check out the various threads about the "badge mods" under the "search" tab.

Bluerauder
03-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Having recently purchased a Mercury, I must ask this question. Can someone please explain to me the stylized Mecury logo.?
The stylized Mercury emblem is also known as the "Hockey Stick" emblem. Since ice hockey is the national sport of Canada, the use of the logo on the Marauder is symbolic of its production at the St. Thomas Assembly Plant in Canada. :D

The new logo is often called the "waterfall" design. The most famous waterfall is Niagara Falls which coincidentally sits on the border of the USA and Canada. Again, this is a subtle reference to the production of the Marauder by our northern neighbor. :rolleyes:

If you can't see the "M", try tilting your head 34 degrees left from T.D.C. :rofl:

MaLo03
03-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I asked this question at the dealership and was told:
"its a flying M"
so there you have it, a flying "M"

jgc61sr2002
03-14-2005, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the MM site. :welcome:

vpalhories
03-14-2005, 04:50 PM
"its a flying M"
And one should always trust your dealer 'cause they are all knowing ... right! :lol:

Bigdogjim
03-14-2005, 05:21 PM
No one can expain this logo :confused:

They found it a fea market and liked it:rofl:

Most of us have spent hundreds of dollars getting rid of it:lol:

dwasson
03-14-2005, 10:18 PM
"its a flying M"

Next year they are changing it to the "circling M" to represent heading down the drain.

Rider90
03-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Most of us have spent hundreds of dollars getting rid of it:lol:
lmao..so true

MENINBLK
03-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Next year they are changing it to the "circling M" to represent heading down the drain.

That's not what I heard...
Next Year's emblem will be a circling VULTURE with a dried up "M" in the center...

You can then tell your dealer, the 'flying' M fell, and the competition is closing in...

Notice how GM named their new SUV the "Equinox" ?
What is it with naming SUV's with the letter 'E' ??? :dunno:

dwasson
03-14-2005, 10:45 PM
Notice how GM named their new SUV the "Equinox" ?
What is it with naming SUV's with the letter 'E' ??? :dunno:

"E" so really stupid enviroweenies will think that they are earthfriendly.

Bigdogjim
03-14-2005, 11:28 PM
"E" so really stupid enviroweenies will think that they are earthfriendly.
Well all of Ford's SUV's start with an E:rofl:

dwasson
03-14-2005, 11:40 PM
Well all of Ford's SUV's start with an E:rofl:

And we all feel warm and fuzzy about that don't we?

FW_Linc/Merc
03-15-2005, 05:36 AM
Now I don't feel as stupid. I have heard many of those same responses. Brand imaging is NOT working, just one more reason Ford doesn't understand why Mercury is failing to live up to its heritage.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I have done alot of research on this site since my purchase last month.

This week I take the car in for warranty work. First car that I ever bought that had any warranty left and there isn't much left with the short 3/36. I asked if the tire alignment was covered by the warranty and that is only covered for 1 year or 12,000 miles. I am having the dealer check the alignment and will be provided the technical information I found on this site to assist them in doing their job. I sure hope this warranty repair work goes well this week.:depress:

Thanks all..

Joe Walsh
03-15-2005, 07:44 AM
:lol: :rofl: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Krytin
03-15-2005, 05:11 PM
I believe that the "hockey sticks" are supposed to represent the wings on the god Mercury's helmet. Pretty lame, myself I prefer the god's head.

BTW welcome to the site from another Hoosier, not many of us here :up: This is actually the correct answer!