PDA

View Full Version : Interesting observation

Mike Poore
03-17-2005, 06:41 AM
There was a driver behind me this morning, in a fairly new GMC Mid-size SUV. The thing that caught my attention was that the daytime running lights went out (turned off) whenever she used the turn signals, then went back on after the turn signal cycled off. Have you guys seen that? It was a first for me, and I wonder why they do that, never mind my personal opinion that daytime running lights are silly to begin with. But then, being a biker, I'm very prejudiced when it comes to anything that could affect my safety as a rider. :dunno:

Bluerauder
03-17-2005, 07:54 AM
The thing that caught my attention was that the daytime running lights went out (turned off) whenever she used the turn signals, then went back on after the turn signal cycled off. :dunno:
You mean you actually saw someone who used their turn signals? :D That is a real rarity in Northern Virginia. :lol:

Seems to me that if the daytime lights go off at any time ... it is a defect or a very poor design. One situation that comes to mind is making a left turn, across lanes of on-coming traffic -- this is one time that the daytime lights would come in handy. My thoughts on the matter. :twocents:

blackf0rk
03-17-2005, 08:02 AM
That's not suppose to happen; it's a wiring problem.

wchain
03-17-2005, 08:17 AM
That's not suppose to happen; it's a wiring problem.
How is that a wiring problem?

ALL GMC Jimmy SUVs have been doing that since 1999. Because the DRLs were brighter to oncoming cars, the signal was not easily seen.

Linky (http://groups-beta.google.com/group/rec.autos.4x4/browse_thread/thread/9fb81e4acfba72cf/e88a765070e0e277?q=GMC+jimmy+t urn+signal+DRL#e88a765070e0e27 7)
Yes it is normal for 99's to do this, they started this feature mid year in 1998 because NHTSA said the DRL's were too close to the turn signals and
people may not see the turn signal or something to that effect. So GMC
programmed them to shut off when signals are on, but only GMC Jimmys do
this, the Blazer didnt because they have that bar that runs from the grill
and splits the turn signal and headlights.

dwasson
03-17-2005, 08:26 AM
Do DRLs work differently in Canada than in the states? I think that I've seen Canadians use turn signals and never noticed that.

Dr Caleb
03-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Do DRLs work differently in Canada than in the states? I think that I've seen Canadians use turn signals and never noticed that.

Very different. They do not turn off when you signal. DRL's utilize the high beam filament, at 50% intensity. Just enough to stand out, say, if you had a dark coloured car on pavement, or a white car against snow.

Some Dailmer Chrysler products don't use the headlamps, but rather a brighter turn signal as their DRL's. It's yellow, but still catches your eye.

wchain
03-17-2005, 12:26 PM
Very different. They do not turn off when you signal. DRL's utilize the high beam filament, at 50% intensity. Just enough to stand out, say, if you had a dark coloured car on pavement, or a white car against snow.

Some Dailmer Chrysler products don't use the headlamps, but rather a brighter turn signal as their DRL's. It's yellow, but still catches your eye.

Most DRLs dont shut off anyway. The only model that I know that does this is the GMC Jimmy.....Note that Not all GM Products use High Beam Filaments.....Buick uses the Turn Signals, Chevrolet Pickups, Tahoes, Suburbans, GMC Yukon, Envoy, Sierra, Denali, Hummer H2, have a seprate Bulb that is DRL Duty only, and there are lots that use the high beam bulb for the DRLs as well.

As the example here in the Jimmy,
http://images9.fotki.com/v165/photos/4/41821/141880/jimmy-vi.jpg

Note the Jimmy Headlight assembly has a Seprate DRL light, which was very bright. Hence the reason that they changed at the request of NHTSA to turn them OFF when the signals are activated. To my knowlege this was only done in the Jimmy and certain sonoma trucks.

jgc61sr2002
03-17-2005, 12:37 PM
On some General Motors vehicles the DRL's are also used as directional signals.

Mike Poore
03-17-2005, 01:51 PM
Most DRLs dont shut off anyway. The only model that I know that does this is the GMC Jimmy

Wow, Wes, very thorough, you're an amazing guy, thanks. I watched a Chevy somethingortheother, today and as you guys say, they stayed on. So, it's just the luck of the draw, that I had a Jimmy behind me. I tell you what, though, the daytime running lights are damned bright, IMHO; that's why I noticed them, ......when they went out, then back on. :cool:

dwasson
03-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Quite clever those Canadians.

rkk
03-18-2005, 02:15 PM
While on this subject, who out there for 2003 Marauders actually have DRLs? There is a blurb about them in the quick reference guide but my vehicle does not have them. Not that I'm upset about it but just wondering?

wchain
03-18-2005, 02:19 PM
While on this subject, who out there for 2003 Marauders actually have DRLs? There is a blurb about them in the quick reference guide but my vehicle does not have them. Not that I'm upset about it but just wondering?

MMs built for the canadian market should have DRLs....

Mike Poore
03-18-2005, 03:52 PM
While on this subject, who out there for 2003 Marauders actually have DRLs? There is a blurb about them in the quick reference guide but my vehicle does not have them. Not that I'm upset about it but just wondering?Actually I think there's a way to turn 'em on, as outlined on one of the pages of "SecretstuffyoucandotoyourMarau der" Booklet. If memory serves, you turn on the ignition switch, then off 41 times (or was it 42?) then crawl across the center console to the passanger side, crawl out the window, hop, counter clockwise, around the car, 3 1/2 times on your right leg, crawl back through the drivers side window, (um, did I mention to have the front windows down, but the back ones up) cycle the ignition switch another 40 times, turn on the radio, holding the ON button in for 5 seconds, then cycle the headlamp switch 5 times, while twisting the radio volume knob, and using your chin, blow the horn for 30 seconds. You should do this while at the mall near the main entrance door in any of the handicapped parking spaces on a Friday evening at 7PM.

Um, do not print this out to show to the police officer who will be questioning you. :laugh:

rookie1
03-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Actually I think there's a way to turn 'em on, as outlined on one of the pages of "SecretstuffyoucandotoyourMarau der" Booklet. If memory serves, you turn on the ignition switch, then off 41 times (or was it 42?) then crawl across the center console to the passanger side, crawl out the window, hop, counter clockwise, around the car, 3 1/2 times on your right leg, crawl back through the drivers side window, (um, did I mention to have the front windows down, but the back ones up) cycle the ignition switch another 40 times, turn on the radio, holding the ON button in for 5 seconds, then cycle the headlamp switch 5 times, while twisting the radio volume knob, and using your chin, blow the horn for 30 seconds. You should do this while at the mall near the main entrance door in any of the handicapped parking spaces on a Friday evening at 7PM.

Um, do not print this out to show to the police officer who will be questioning you. :laugh:

you're mistaken. the procedure you just described was the procedure for adjusting pinion angle.

Mike Poore
03-18-2005, 05:41 PM
you're mistaken. the procedure you just described was the procedure for adjusting pinion angle.
Darn, you're right. I just hope poor Joe Walsh wasn't drinking anything while reading those instructions, as I recall the mess he described, last time. :D