PDA

View Full Version : Marauder exhaust on another vehicle?

CRUZTAKER
03-19-2005, 08:14 AM
I have this crazy idea, but no where to field thhe question.
The Lincoln forum site has all of about 630 members and no new replies in weeks....:sleepy: over there....

I was wondering if any of our member mechanics have an opinion on my trying to intigrate the OEM stock Marauder exhaust, at atleast PORTIONS of it to the AVIATOR?

Jessica has made it very clear to me that she wants the look/sound of the dual exhaust.

I have the entire exhaust in my barn attic, and it would look totally cool at the rear of the Aviator.

NOTE: Our Aviator has AWD and the transfer case. Perhaps the h-pipe wont fit....

What do do guys think?

Do-able?

Petrograde
03-19-2005, 08:27 AM
got some extra MM exhaust parts in the barn Barry? :P

....Kooks!

cyclone03
03-19-2005, 10:54 AM
Well as they say "anything is posible,with enough money".

But withoutout having ever looked under an Aviator I'll just spew out some generalities,ok?

First a detour, A few years ago ,BM (Before Marauder),I had a Harley F150 and a friend with a Lightning. He installed a complete Headers to Tail pipe system on his truck and was just going to pitch the stock set up,so I had him pitch it in the bed of my truck. The stock HD F150 system has a "Y" pipe into a single in mufler with a dual out.Stock Lightning is Dual inlet to a single mufler with dual outlets,HMMM I said.
I installed the dual Cats ( 4 really like the Marauder) head pipes and had the muffler shop connect it to the stock Lightning Muffler and the HD tail pipes.
Souded pretty much just like a stock Lightning,go figure.BBBUUUTTTTT...

Theres always a BUT.Above 3000 or so it pulled much harder,I noticed no loss of low end.
When the S/C Harleys showed up they now have what I had back in 2000.

So back to the Aviator.
Does it use a single pipe inlet Muffler?
Is it greater than 3" in dia? If so I don't think you'll see a power gain,if thats what she (wink,wink) wants.

If you (I meen SHE) wants the Marauder sound,and this may cost a little to have done AND the truck already has a 4 Cat set up. I would split the pipes at the "Y" then have some pipe(at least 2 1/4" in Dia) bent up to run to the stock Marauder mufflers then some how run the pipe over the rear axle to the stock Maraudertail pipes. That should sound good and maybe even pick up the power over the stock set up.

If you have a dual inlet type muffler already it maybe a little easier to set it up.

TechHeavy
03-19-2005, 11:01 AM
I have this crazy idea, but no where to field thhe question.
The Lincoln forum site has all of about 630 members and no new replies in weeks....:sleepy: over there....

I was wondering if any of our member mechanics have an opinion on my trying to intigrate the OEM stock Marauder exhaust, at atleast PORTIONS of it to the AVIATOR?

Jessica has made it very clear to me that she wants the look/sound of the dual exhaust.

I have the entire exhaust in my barn attic, and it would look totally cool at the rear of the Aviator.

NOTE: Our Aviator has AWD and the transfer case. Perhaps the h-pipe wont fit....

What do do guys think?

Do-able?
Oh my! It's happening already! Just like I saw in the "seeing" well that tells the future! Everyone chant, "Trilogy, Trilogy, Trilogy!"

I know Barry, I'm a wierdo. I just think it's cool your Aviator has the same motor. It's great your wife likes the dual exhaust sound. My ex doesn't know what exhaust is, much less dual exhaust. :bows:

"Why can't a woman be more like a man?" Rex Harrison (Professor Henry Higgins) in My Fair Lady (1964)

DEFYANT
03-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Sounds like a great idea since you have the parts already. Very little investment if it does not work out.

CRUZTAKER
03-19-2005, 03:57 PM
I finally had the op to crawl under today....

Sadly, it's not gonna happen. There is absolutely no clearance along the passenger underside of the vehicle.

Both manifolds join to a single pipe just under the drivers seat to a massive muffler after a single cat.

I figure at best we could swap out the muffler for a magnaflow and the tail pipe to a single megs tube.

That really sucks....we wanted to see two pipes out the ass...

It was never about hp gains, just the look of dual exhaust, and the sound that eminated.

I took some pics...but I need to get her on a lift to tell the whole story.

jgc61sr2002
03-19-2005, 03:59 PM
Barry - IMO you would have to have a custom system made. Don't think the stock Marauder system can be adapted. Check with a reputable exhaust/muffler shop.

CRUZTAKER
03-19-2005, 04:11 PM
Barry - IMO you would have to have a custom system made. Don't think the stock Marauder system can be adapted. Check with a reputable exhaust/muffler shop.
You're correct...we'll manage something...but it won't have anything to do with the Marauder parts.:(

Jessica
03-19-2005, 04:19 PM
These pics aren't the best...but laying on my back holding the camera under the truck was hit or miss.

Next weekend we''ll visit the local midas and see what we can do.

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tddetails vAlign=top align=left>http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/1423tail_pipe_Large_-med.jpg

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/1423right_side_Large_-med.jpg

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/1423muffler_to_cat_Large_-med.jpg

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/1423left_pipe_to_right_side_La rge_-med.jpg
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

the_pack_rat
03-19-2005, 07:55 PM
I finally had the op to crawl under today....

Sadly, it's not gonna happen. There is absolutely no clearance along the passenger underside of the vehicle.

Both manifolds join to a single pipe just under the drivers seat to a massive muffler after a single cat.

I figure at best we could swap out the muffler for a magnaflow and the tail pipe to a single megs tube.

That really sucks....we wanted to see two pipes out the ass...

It was never about hp gains, just the look of dual exhaust, and the sound that eminated.

I took some pics...but I need to get her on a lift to tell the whole story.

I used to have a 2001 AWD V8 Mountaineer I wanted to run duals on. Prognosis - not really do-able. Best compromise/scenario on this... single pipe into a dual outlet muffler - but even THAT was iffy.

Yea I know the 2002+ Explorer - Mountaineer - Aviator is a different body style & all vs the 95-01's ... exhaust exits on the LH side(02+) vs the RH side of the older ones ... but I'm sure there are still some similarities ... things are just now on opposite sides I'd imagine(admitted assumption based on the exhaust system layout).

My 2001 Mountaineer as I said was an AWD ... plus it had the automatic rear load leveling suspension. The exhaust guy that looked at it said there was a REMOTE possibility he could make it happen ... but pointed out the extra rear tail pipe would have been way - WAY too close to other vital components. The optional rear load level shocks were diff(thicker of course - air shocks they were) - think there was some other rear load leveling specific hardware that might have gotten in the way as well. IIRC, even the fuel line(s) were mentioned in this conversation as well.

Long story short ...

Took his advice & put even the remote possibility of dual pipes out of a single muffler to REST.

Went with a custom tailpipe(NO resonator) & a Magnaflow muffler. Had a NICE sound to it ... pretty damn good actually for something with only ONE pipe coming out the back.

Still sucked there wasn't __ TWO __ pipes coming out the back tho.

CRUZTAKER
03-19-2005, 08:01 PM
Went with a custom tailpipe(NO resonator) & a Magnaflow muffler. Had a NICE sound to it ... pretty damn good actually for something with only ONE pipe coming out the back.
We can live with that...:o

Thanks for the 411.

I think I'll look into a magnaflow muffler this summer.