PDA

View Full Version : How to P*SS OFF a Magnum owner!

TechHeavy
03-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Hi guys! This is hilarious, although I feel kind of bad now.... (the guy was so furious)! LOL! But here's what happened.

I was fueling my GMC Sierra pick-up at the local SpeedWay, (my MM is still in storage to be released very soon!) when a Dodge Magnum pulled up next to me, (opposite side of pump).

The owner was a clean-cut Yuppy type, (mid 30s). It was my first encounter with a Magnum owner and I decided to say what I'd been thinking since I first saw the Magnum commercial.

"Hi!", I said nicely with a little wave. He smiled and waved back. "Nice station wagon" I said respectfully, (and seriously) with a nod of my head.
Man, you should have seen the look on his face! LOL! It went from friendly to disgusted instantly!
"It's not a station wagon!" he grunted.
"It's not?" I asked. "It looks like one."
I didn't think it was possible, but his face was even redder than before.
"I meant that as a compliment," I soothed. "It's very cool."
"Well, it's not," he said. "It's a..." he floundered... "...a UTILITY vehicle! A very FAST one!" he added with a smirk.
"Really?" I asked. "I have something in my garage that can smoke any station wagon."
"It's not a STA... nevermind! What do you have?"
"A Mercury Marauder... a 2003 model... very nice... very fast."
"I read about those! They're not fast!"
"Ok, do you fuel here often?" I asked.
"Yeah, why?!"
"In about 3 weeks I'll be fueling my MM here. I'll be looking for ya." This last was with a huge grin. He didn't reply.
My fuel transaction had been complete for a while, but I couldn't leave till I was done having fun with the guy. At that point I laughed and climbed into my pick-up.... and laughed all the way home!

I guess Magnum owners don't like having their cars called "station wagons"!!

HEE HEE! :D :D :beer:

MM2004
03-23-2005, 01:31 PM
Dave,
Lookin' for a fight dude? Funny as hell man! :D

Mike.

Hi guys! This is hilarious, although I feel kind of bad now.... (the guy was so furious)! LOL! But here's what happened.

I was fueling my GMC Sierra pick-up at the local SpeedWay, (my MM is still in storage to be released very soon!) when a Dodge Magnum pulled up next to me, (opposite side of pump).

The owner was a clean-cut Yuppy type, (mid 30s). It was my first encounter with a Magnum owner and I decided to say what I'd been thinking since I first saw the Magnum commercial.

"Hi!", I said nicely with a little wave. He smiled and waved back. "Nice station wagon" I said respectfully, (and seriously) with a nod of my head.
Man, you should have seen the look on his face! LOL! It went from friendly to disgusted instantly!
"Well, it's not," he said. "It's a..." he floundered... "...a UTILITY vehicle! A very FAST one!" he added with a smirk.
"Really?" I asked. "I have something in my garage that can smoke any station wagon."
"Yeah, why?!"
"In about 3 weeks I'll be fueling my MM here. I'll be looking for ya." This last was with a huge grin. He didn't reply.
My fuel transaction had been complete for a while, but I couldn't leave till I was done having fun with the guy. At that point I laughed and climbed into my pick-up.... and laughed all the way home!

marauderboi
03-23-2005, 01:32 PM

"Yeah, why?!"

HEE HEE! :D :D :beer:That is great:rofl:

Wagonmaster
03-23-2005, 01:46 PM
[QUOTE=TechHeavy]

"I have something in my garage that can smoke any station wagon."

ANY STATION WAGON????

My Station Wagon (1966 Chevy II) runs 10.90's @ 124mph with a N/A 355" incher on street tires through the mufflers @ 3,310lbs w/o driver.

Neither one of our Marauders can pull that off, but man I wish they could. The Magnum wagon however, is definately on the MM hit list. :beer:

GT

Sactown
03-23-2005, 01:48 PM
I hope he shows up w/ his wagon...utiliy vehicle...blah blah...we all know what a station wagon is. Too Funny!

RoyLPita
03-23-2005, 01:49 PM
Keep up the good work.

Sactown
03-23-2005, 01:50 PM
I want one of those wagons!

[QUOTE=TechHeavy]

ANY STATION WAGON????

My Station Wagon (1966 Chevy II) runs 10.90's @ 124mph with a N/A 355" incher on street tires through the mufflers @ 3,310lbs w/o driver.

Neither one of our Marauders can pull that off, but man I wish they could. The Magnum wagon however, is definately on the MM hit list. :beer:

GT

Eric91Z
03-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Again, I may be in the minority, but I like the Magnum and think it could serve a good purpose. And if I was an owner I would at least be smart enough to recognize it is a station wagon.

Now, my wife on the other hand hates them and thinks they look like a modern day Hurse (sp?)...

O's Fan Rich
03-23-2005, 02:05 PM
That thing got a HEMI?
I'd love to ask them innocently, what does "HEMI" mean?
See if they know.

Yeah, baby, yeah! Nice job.

Dr Caleb
03-23-2005, 02:09 PM
"In about 3 weeks I'll be fueling my MM here. I'll be looking for ya."

. . .and I'll have a surfboard, a guitar, an amp, 12 2X4's . . .

Hehehehe. That still cracks me up. Whoever's kid said that to a Magnum owner, raise his allowance ;)

:rofl:

LordVader
03-23-2005, 02:21 PM
:coolman: Way to kick 'em in the nuts! You are right it is "cool", but it's still a station wagon any way you look at it.

Joe Walsh
03-23-2005, 02:28 PM
"nice station wagon".... :poke: I love it!

I'm suprised that he didn't blurt out..."It's got a HEMI!"

The next time somebody tells me that; "they got a HEMI", I'll tell them to use Preparation 'H'! :D

TAF
03-23-2005, 02:30 PM
The Magnum does kinda resemble the Mike Brady Special...

http://www.hollywood-diecast.com/station%20wagon.jpg

http://www.hollywood-diecast.com/Brady%20Bunch%20Star%20Car%20S tation%20Wagon%20Loose.JPG

Bluerauder
03-23-2005, 02:30 PM

Hehehehe. That still cracks me up. Whoever's kid said that to a Magnum owner, raise his allowance ;)

I believe that was MarauderMark's son that came off with that one... :rofl:

I can just picture this guy fumbling around for the right word ..... :D

TechHeavy
03-23-2005, 04:08 PM

http://www.hollywood-diecast.com/Brady%20Bunch%20Star%20Car%20S tation%20Wagon%20Loose.JPG
Ok. That cracked me up. Yep, good job with the pics TAF! No matter how you look at it, shorten the rear hatch, add a Mac, (semi-tractor-trailer grill) to the front, and lower the windows, it's still a Brady "special". LOL! :beer:

Joe Walsh
03-23-2005, 04:12 PM

LOL... That 'Woody' reminds me of that beast of a station wagon in Chevy Chase's VACATION movie.

MERCMAN
03-23-2005, 04:26 PM
"Well, it's not," he said. "It's a..." he floundered... "...a UTILITY vehicle! A very FAST one!" he added with a smirk

Hmm,, an new catagory,, Sport Utility Wagon

S.A.W.

As in I thought I SAW a perfomance vehicle :rofl:

TAF
03-23-2005, 04:27 PM
LOL... That 'Woody' reminds me of that beast of a station wagon in Chevy Chase's VACATION movie.
Uh...you mean the "Family Truckster"

CLICK THE PIC.... (http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~nkerns/MP3/holidayroad.mp3)
(http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~nkerns/MP3/holidayroad.mp3)
http://www.hollywood-diecast.com/truckster.jpg (http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~nkerns/MP3/holidayroad.mp3)

Maybe Marty will sell these T-shirts, as well

http://www.coastalconcepts.com/prodpx/familytruckster.gif

Joe Walsh
03-23-2005, 04:37 PM
I knew it wouldn't take you long to find a good photo of that rolling abortion!

Good Work!

MarauderMark
03-23-2005, 05:00 PM

lol you still remember that .what was really funny when my son said it to the guy and i started laughing in the poor guys face.Whats good is those MM's dont really run , yea! Ours do..I love my mm:up:
Wtg Dave :up:

GodOSpeed
03-23-2005, 06:04 PM
Great story funny as hell! :beer:

DEFYANT
03-23-2005, 06:07 PM
You could have topped it off by handing him a MM.net business card. Good job!

bigslim
03-23-2005, 07:18 PM
Utility vehicle?? You should have asked where was his ladders and paint. Maybe I will see MichCon driving them soon.

gray bear
03-23-2005, 09:42 PM

"Yeah, why?!"

I know several Magnum owners that don't mind their Magnum's being called station wagons ..... Station Wagons that do the 1/4 mile in mid to low 14's .....PURE STOCK!!!!

MaLo03
03-23-2005, 10:21 PM

http://www.hollywood-diecast.com/Brady%20Bunch%20Star%20Car%20S tation%20Wagon%20Loose.JPGLadi es and Gentlemen.....The Magnum, AKA, The Brady Mobile
OOOOOOps........I ment. The Brady Mobile, AKA, The Magnum

STLR FN
03-24-2005, 12:11 AM
....At that point I laughed and climbed into my pick-up.... and laughed all the way home!....

Knowing me, I would've been laughing from the beginning.

BillyGman
03-24-2005, 02:07 AM
That was a hilarious, but very cool approach Dave. :D I LUV it!!! I think the only good thing about those ugly station wagons and the 300C's is that because they have engines with a lot of displacement, it looks like it's provoked SVT to finally slap a 5.4L engine in a Mustang platform (the Shelby GT500) and it's about time. I think that also has to do with the Vette coming out next year with a big 427 engine. Bring on the big cubes again!!!!!!

Haggis
03-24-2005, 04:18 AM
That's a good one I will have to remember that next time I see one. A 'Hemi', "What's a 'hemi'"? :laugh:

MENINBLK
03-24-2005, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=TechHeavy]

ANY STATION WAGON????

GT

How does it do this w/o driver ??? :dunno:

Mard
03-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Now this is a wagon (I hope the picture attached o.k.). One of my many past projects I sold about a year ago. 1970 Chrysler Town and Country with a factory HO 383 (335 hp) and a/c delete. Kids loved it since it had the rear fold up jump seats.

Fourth Horseman
03-24-2005, 01:47 PM
I've only raced one Magnum, but I beat it. Not by much, mind you, but a kill's a kill. :)

Personally, I think it's a much better looking ride than the 300. I don't see why people'd get uptight having it called a wagon, though. I mean, you bought a wagon. Did you not notice you were buying a wagon when you took the test drive and signed the papers? That'd be like somebody coming up to us and being like: "Nice SEDAN! *snicker*" and us saying: "It's not a sedan!"
:confused:

SouLRioT
03-24-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm waiting for someone to chop off the rear and make it like a el camino.

http://www.phillymint.com/I_danbury/DM1968chevelless396.jpg

TechHeavy
03-24-2005, 01:58 PM
I've only raced one Magnum, but I beat it. Not by much, mind you, but a kill's a kill. :)

Personally, I think it's a much better looking ride than the 300. I don't see why people'd get uptight having it called a wagon, though. I mean, you bought a wagon. Did you not notice you were buying a wagon when you took the test drive and signed the papers? That'd be like somebody coming up to us and being like: "Nice SEDAN! *snicker*" and us saying: "It's not a sedan!"
:confused:
Well, I think it's probably just an avoidance of the stigma of the station wagon, (you know, family car... slow, big, old fogey... ect..). I think that's the association most of us have with "station wagons".

I found it interesting that Dodge never calls this vehicle a "station wagon" in it's advertisements, (that I've been able to find... even online). Dodge is wisely staying way clear of any reference of this type. Great marketing, IMO. Their message is just, "It's fast, looks cool, and holds a lot of stuff!"

Mike Poore
03-24-2005, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=TechHeavy] My Station Wagon (1966 Chevy II) runs 10.90's @ 124mph with a N/A 355" incher on street tires through the mufflers @ 3,310lbs w/o driver.
(1966 Chevy II) runs 10.90's @ 124mph :woohoo:

:eek: THAT, my friend, ain't just ANY station wagon. ;)

Marauderman
03-24-2005, 04:16 PM
(1966 Chevy II) runs 10.90's @ 124mph :woohoo:

:eek: THAT, my friend, ain't just ANY station wagon. ;)
........yeah......imagine an MM doing that......yeah........# 7 --you listening to my thoughs......sorry--I get this way sometimes......

FastMerc
03-24-2005, 06:10 PM
A friend of mines buddy just bought one of those:D wagons,Im trying to get him to bring it to Norwalk when we rent the track again,we shall see what it is made of.

ncmm
03-24-2005, 09:07 PM
I think this could probably shut down one of those Magnum station wagons. . .

Bigdogjim
03-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Well that was a very well written post:up:

Now we know the other side of the coin when people call our ride a "cop car" "Grand Marquis" Hell I had a guy look at mine and say nice "limo":rofl:

I really don't care if it is faster then a Marauder or not.

It's still a station wagon!

BillyGman
03-25-2005, 12:11 AM

:confused:Yes, I agree. Well said. it sounds like it might have been a sore spot with him, as if though he's been trying to convince himself that it isn't a station wagon, and his little denial mind game was exposed when he heard the term "wagon". :D

lshultz
03-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Sort of like them calling your MM a Grand Marquis isn't it?????

RoyLPita
03-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Did his rear emblem look like this????
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/616Image005-med.jpg

Fourth Horseman
03-25-2005, 11:33 AM
Sort of like them calling your MM a Grand Marquis isn't it?????

Would that bother you? Doesn't bother me. Strictly speaking it _IS_ a Grand Marquis, just with different options packaging. If people thinks it's a regular Marquis so much the better. They find out the hard way coming off the light. :D