PDA

View Full Version : Mobile entertainment (for the kids)

HwyCruiser
03-23-2005, 09:55 PM
Thought I'd share a car gadget with ya'll.

With a grueling 10-hour roadtrip to Denver coming up over the long weekend with two little girls in the back we have to bring plenty of in-car entertainment and/or ear plugs to keep our sanity.

Attached are some pics of the Venturer system we just picked up at Sams Club for under $300 to help keep the kids entertained. The main unit is a DVD/CD/MP3 player with aux video inputs, headphone outputs and an additional remote LCD with more headphone outputs. Both screens are 7" wide. It came with all the accessories required for car and home use.

I tested it out in the Marauder and the 12-volt plug in the center console came in pretty handy. Video quality is pretty good considering the price. The excess power wire and feed to the remote LCD tucked nicely into the seat back pockets.

Now we just have to clean out Blockbuster of Tenderheart and Barbie DVDs and hopefully we'll have a relatively peaceful trip.

Rider90
03-23-2005, 09:56 PM
"That oughta shut them up..."

Looks good!

dwasson
03-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Giving the kids a couple Benedryl would be cheaper wouldn't it?

Bluerauder
03-24-2005, 04:33 AM
Thought I'd share a car gadget with ya'll.
Nice set-up !!! :up: That would have come in handy when I had 3 sitting in the back seat. :rolleyes:

MSR7878
03-24-2005, 05:38 AM
The first thing I did to my MM was have an LCD screen installed in the overhead and a DVD player installed behind the rear seat armrest. I regularly travel to VA Beach and back with kids. I used the aux input to the screen to wire up the PS2. Best money I ever spent on a car. The kids love it!!!

jdando
03-24-2005, 07:10 AM
Wow, that is quite a bargin! I was thinking about going with a "in-headrest" system, but that would be big bucks.

I will probably go this route for the summers roadtrips. I will save the Benadryl for the Mrs. ;)

jeremy

RoyLPita
03-24-2005, 07:30 AM
$300 from hearing the phrase "Are we there yet?"

It works. $$$ well spent.

MERCMAN
03-24-2005, 07:57 AM
Makes one pause,,how did our parents ever keep us in line without video, A/C, FM radio and Interstates? Oh yeah,, NOW I remember

"If I have to stop this car, you are going to be sorry MISTER"!!!! :rofl:

RoyLPita
03-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Makes one pause,,how did our parents ever keep us in line without video, A/C, FM radio and Interstates? Oh yeah,, NOW I remember

"Don't make me come back there!!"

MENINBLK
03-24-2005, 09:13 AM
If you ask me that question ONE MORE TIME .... :rofl:

Bluerauder
03-24-2005, 10:11 AM
"Do you want me to pull over RIGHT NOW !!!!" :rofl:

jgc61sr2002
03-24-2005, 10:16 AM
Very nice set up. :D Does it come with two screens for $300? Seems like quite a bargain. :up:

HwyCruiser
03-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Very nice set up. :D Does it come with two screens for $300? Seems like quite a bargain. :up:

Yup, the works. Even came with the carrying case, both ac and dc power adapters, and a two-hour rechargable battery.

I also got Sam's three-year extended warrenty with it too just in case it turns out to be too good of a bargain.

...and yes, the Benadryl is for the Mrs. ;)

Marauderman
03-24-2005, 04:13 PM

.........ah.......someone who shares my memories....thanks....

jdando
03-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Times have changed...My nine and six year olds were acting like brats and I said I was going to stop the car (on the freeway) and drop them off. My ever so cute nine year old answers "that is against the law and you will go to jail".

Gone are the good old days of parental intimidation :)

I guess the video system is cheaper than me going to the big house..

jeremy

duhtroll
03-25-2005, 10:30 AM
You might be a redneck if . . .

you have a flyswatter on the front seat of the car to reach the kids in the back seat of the car.

-A

MENINBLK
03-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Times have changed...My nine and six year olds were acting like brats and I said I was going to stop the car (on the freeway) and drop them off. My ever so cute nine year old answers "that is against the law and you will go to jail"....

"That's only if YOU make it to the police BEFORE I DO!
So when I drip you off on the side of the road,
WHO IS STILL DRIVING THE CAR ?"

And like my Mom always said....
"I brought you into this world, and I can take you out of it any time I want." :)

NAVCHAP
03-26-2005, 01:04 PM
Looks great JD, and a whole lot cheaper than my method, involving s/c, t/c, 4:30s, a set of stripes, etc. Don't think they'd say a word if they were riding with me, LOL! -kjs-

teamrope
03-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Not bad JD, That should keep the youngens from driving you crazier than the scenery along that stretch of highway.
At least Keith, Scott, Linda and I had other MM's to watch on the way to Indy. :)

HwyCruiser
03-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Just got back from the run out to Denver. We took the minivan because I just couldn't subject the MM to the abuse of two little girls for that long... went out to clean it up and came back out with two trash-bags full - one of empty wrappers, juice-boxes, etc., and the other full of dolls and the like. :rolleyes:

The DVD system worked great. It was the most quiet trip we've made in 5 years. The few times I heard from my oldest girl is when the DVD needed to be changed or when she was out of juice.

Now I have the long roadtrip minivan configuration figured out. I pulled out the 2nd row captains chair behind the driver's seat and stored it in the cargo area. My oldest sat in the other 2nd row captain's chair and my wife and youngest sat way in the back on the rear bench. It was great, I couldn't hear either one of them, lol.