PDA

View Full Version : Schwinn "Krate" Bicycle

MM2004
03-26-2005, 06:21 AM
Anybody remember these?

Wish I still had mine!

Reserve not met at $1,000.00! Wow!

Mike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=95155&item=6520853351&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Bluerauder
03-26-2005, 06:31 AM
Anybody remember these?

Wish I still had mine!

Mike.
The banana seat craze was a little after my time on bikes. :rolleyes: I had a full dress Murray 26" (w/factory headlights, taillights, and horn and a springloaded rear rack carrier.) :up: Was thrilled to also get a "3-Speed" English racer in 1962 .... at that time it made me grin almost as much as my Marauder some 41 years later !!! :D

stevengerard
03-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Never had a Crate, but in '71 my dad bought me a used Green StingRay. Believe it or not I still have it and every Schwinn nut I meet can't beleive I have the same back as when I was a kid. Turns out its a 64 1/2 Flamboyant Green Stingray Deluxe, Not worth a ton but rare non the less, waiting for an overhaul - I dumped that money into the MM, I get more use out of the MM.

dwasson
03-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Have you seen the new Stingray? I think that I would have done anything for one of these when I was ten.

BruteForce
03-26-2005, 10:20 AM
Have you seen the new Stingray? I think that I would have done anything for one of these when I was ten.

Saw one of the neighbor kids riding one of these. My first thought was "geez I wish I had one of those to lose (don't ask) instead of that English racing 10-speed when I was a kid". Actually, as far as ridability, I'd still go for a "conventional" 10-speed.

mad man
03-26-2005, 04:18 PM
Anybody remember these?

Wish I still had mine!

Mike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=95155&item=6520853351&rd=1#ebayphotohostingMy brother got $1500.00 for my old Apple krate. It was a 71 with a disc brake something rare i guess. :)

BillyGman
03-26-2005, 11:08 PM
Anybody remember these?

Wish I still had mine!

Mike.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=95155&item=6520853351&rd=1#ebayphotohostingWow! Does that bring back memmories!!!! I had one very similar to that, but it wasn't a Schwinn. After having it for a couple years, I began to add some modifications to it, which included, extended forks, bigger front wheel, extra high sissy bar, and the coolest generator operated headlight anyone in my neighborhood had ever seen. The generator had a rotating device on the end of it that was mounted in a way so it was clamped against the end of the back tire, and the faster I got the tire to turn, the brighter the headlight got. I had an aftermarket parts supplier that was pretty much unknown to most of the other kids in my neighborhood. I persueded my parents to order me those mods from the Montgomery Wards catalogue. I really wanted one of the mini-bikes that the catalogue had in it, but my parents couldn't spend the $$ required for that, so they kept me quiet by ordering the bicycle parts that I wanted instead. :D AAAAAAHHHH, those were the days!!!!

dwasson
03-27-2005, 08:13 AM
I had one very similar to that, but it wasn't a Schwinn. After having it for a couple years, I began to add some modifications to it, which included, extended forks, bigger front wheel, extra high sissy bar, and the coolest generator operated headlight anyone in my neighborhood had ever seen.

Nothing changes does it Billy?

JohnnyB
03-27-2005, 08:56 AM
I had the same bike. My father & grandfather got it for me in the summer of 1971 from a Schwinn dealer on Jerome Avenue, Bronx, NY. The front drum brake and stick shift were the coolest........

BillyGman
03-27-2005, 09:51 AM
Nothing changes does it Billy?LOL....no, I guess it doesn't....:D