PDA

View Full Version : Poll: How long before Ford drops the Mercury Nameplate

Mike Poore
03-26-2005, 07:39 AM
Ok, here's the poll: How many more years do you think Ford will keep the Mercury nameplate alive. At least as far as it being a re-badging entity?

de minimus
03-26-2005, 07:50 AM
It was dropped a few years ago in Canada. Marauders were stll badged Mercury though you'd buy them at Ford dealers.

MarauderMark
03-26-2005, 07:51 AM
Toodyfour to thirtyteen yrs. Doesn't really matter to me as this car will be my last Mercury product unless they come out with the 5.4 Capri/gm (SVT) otherwise everything else they have is boring.. :depress: .

Mike Poore
03-26-2005, 02:23 PM
Toodyfour to thirtyteen yrs. Doesn't really matter to me as this car will be my last Mercury product unless they come out with the 5.4 Capri/gm (SVT) otherwise everything else they have is boring.. :depress: .
WOW! So far, 71% of the respondants think Mercury Division will be gone in 5 years! You know, of course, GM just anounced they're gonna drop Pontiac or Buick division. Want to guess which one that's gonna be? :depress:

Bigdogjim
03-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Don't think Ford will drop L&M division any time soon:)

jgc61sr2002
03-26-2005, 04:36 PM

I tend to agree with Jim.^^^ :D

merc406
03-26-2005, 07:52 PM
....The ? should prolly be.....How long is FoMoCo gonna last?........

Mike Poore
03-27-2005, 06:06 AM
Didn't say the LINCOLN part of the division Big, that's their cash cow. ;)

I'm wondering if they're gonna drop the Mercury name plate, and that was the thrust of the poll. My point, and question is: how long are they going to keep putting hockey sticks on Fords, and calling them Mercurys? :)

Haggis
03-27-2005, 06:19 AM

I'm wondering if they're gonna drop the Mercury name plate, and that was the thrust of the poll. My point, and question is: how long are they going to keep putting hockey sticks on Fords, and calling them Mercurys? :)

Also think of how the Marauder looks. It resembles a CV more then a GM. Mercury is probably finished and so is Pontiac. :wave:

Mike Poore
03-27-2005, 07:57 AM
Also think of how the Marauder looks. It resembles a CV more then a GM. Mercury is probably finished and so is Pontiac. :wave:
WOW!:eek: ....So you think it's gonna be Pontiac? I was dead nuts sure it's gonna be Buick, for no other reason than I have liked some of the Pontiacs in the past; but now that they've dropped the Firebird, I guess there's really not much to like.

Hey if you guys want to veer off and discuss Pontiac vs Buick as the one they kill off, I'm game.

jgc61sr2002
03-27-2005, 08:05 AM
Pontiac just revived the GTO and are coming out with the Soltice. (a two seat convertible) I donno.

Haggis
03-27-2005, 09:14 AM
Pontiac just revived the GTO and are coming out with the Soltice. (a two seat convertible) I donno.

...both are "L"oosers IMHO.

JohnnyB
03-27-2005, 09:16 AM
I believe Pontiac will be gone within 3 years. Do you have any reason to stop into a Pontiac showroom? I thought the GTO might get me to take a peek, but I'll pass. I'm not sure the division fills a need in the market. Chevrolet will pick up the slack. I think Mercury will stick around so that Ford has a product line to compete with against Buick. My opinion is that Mercury should be more defined.... ie more than a Ford, less than a Lincoln, but with it's own character....The GM, Montego and Mountaineer are just rebadged CV's 500's and Explorers.....

CRUZTAKER
03-27-2005, 09:33 AM
As long as Lincoln continues to spur interest in their finer luxury vehicles, I am hoping the Mercury nameplate sticks around as well.

But who knows....?

MarauderMark
03-27-2005, 09:39 AM

I thought i read somewhere they they were putting a hold on the GTO(400hp version or GTO "s alltogether ,not sure)..I would've also thought buick as well i mean what do they have or intend to give the pubilc in the future? Chevy is suppose to be comming back with the camaro on 08 and kinda looks like a retro 69 or the new mustangs.

The New Camaro (http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0312PHR_Fifth_Reloaded/#)

Haggis
03-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Buick produces a lot of cars for the sensible buyer, a family man, older people or someone who in general does not understand what it means to modify a car. In other words those peolple we tell, "If you have to ask you'll never understand."

Those that will never be assimilated. http://smilies.sofrayt.com/1/u/cyber.gif

Mike Poore
03-27-2005, 03:00 PM
....... Chevy is suppose to be comming back with the camaro on 08 and kinda looks like a retro 69 or the new mustangs.
The New Camaro (http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/0312PHR_Fifth_Reloaded/#)

Thanks, Mark, that's a very nice lookiing car. I agree, in the one shot, it looks a lot like the '69, which, by the way, is my all time favorite. The SS/RS in dark green with the hound's tooth seats. :D

Shaft333
03-27-2005, 08:00 PM
Does anyone know any of the Mercury income numbers?
I think middle luxury is as good as gone, but I haven't read anything that talks about Mercury losing money.

I just read a good article about Pontiac and Buick. One of them is likely to go.
My money is on Pontiac. The American GTO and the Solstice won't bring enough cash in. Chryco's success of the LX cars is proof that people want big cars.

Bigdogjim
03-27-2005, 09:15 PM

Mike I really don't think of Lincoln with out Mercury?

The two just go together:) Can't have one without the other :help:

Lincoln could not stand alone.

Mike Poore
03-28-2005, 06:01 AM
Mike I really don't think of Lincoln with out Mercury?

The two just go together:) Can't have one without the other :help:

Lincoln could not stand alone.
Hadn't thought of it that way. Can we picture Jaguar/Lincoln or Volvo/Lincoln? Seems ridiculous huh? But, on the other hand, we have lots of Pontiac/Cadillac dealerships in our area. And Cadillac/Olds, which may become stand alone Cadillac dealerships if they drop Pontiac, although I agree none have the name recognition associated with Lincoln/Mercury. Anyone know when they started combining the two? :)

TheDealer
03-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Lincoln Mercury has there product line specked out past 2010. i don't think they're going away. Plus, what would I do for a Job????? :help:

SouLRioT
03-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Hadn't thought of it that way. Can we picture Jaguar/Lincoln or Volvo/Lincoln? Seems ridiculous huh? But, on the other hand, we have lots of Pontiac/Cadillac dealerships in our area. And Cadillac/Olds, which may become stand alone Cadillac dealerships if they drop Pontiac, although I agree none have the name recognition associated with Lincoln/Mercury. Anyone know when they started combining the two? :)

FYI the place I bought my MM at, now is a Lincoln/Mercury/Volvo dealership

Mercury just doesn't have an "it" car that only Mercury sells anymore.

Mike Poore
03-28-2005, 11:31 AM
Lincoln Mercury has there product line specked out past 2010. i don't think they're going away. Plus, what would I do for a Job????? :help:
.....Volvos, Ray? :D

Bigdogjim
03-28-2005, 01:06 PM
Anyone know when they started combining the two? :)

Mercury started in 1939 I think and they been together ever since.

Mercury was started by Edsel Ford to fill a gap between Lincoln and Ford cars.

Silver_04
03-28-2005, 06:27 PM
I think if GM moves to cut Pontiac and/or Buick in the near future, that will speed up axing Merc. I voted 1 to 2 years BTW

Mike Poore
03-28-2005, 06:37 PM
I think if GM moves to cut Pontiac and/or Buick in the near future, that will speed up axing Merc. I voted 1 to 2 years BTW
That's exactly what I was thinking, and why I posted and asked what everyone thought, in the poll.

Bigdogjim
03-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Nah! If GM drops Pontiac or Buick then Mercury has a chance to sell a few more cars.

Good point though!