PDA

View Full Version : You Knew it would happen!!!!

Bobby Clobber
03-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Well , now what does FORD have to say about this? :argue:

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0503/28/autos-130981.htm

Rider90
03-28-2005, 12:00 PM
I wonder how much a fleeted Hemi Charger will cost compared to a CV, and if departments are willing to pay.

You know that if this all works out for Chrysler, their commercials will advertise the HEMI as the same engine those real fast cop cars, as if we aren't tired of hearing about an engine that isn't the REAL Hemi but just has the same name as the original legend :blah:

duhtroll
03-28-2005, 12:01 PM
My guess is, "Meh. We sell trucks."

-A :mad2: :censor: :uzi: :loco: :cheesed: :argh: :gunfire: :shake: :bs: :argue:

There might be more smileys that reflect my views of Ford right now, but those'll do for now.

Mard
03-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Wonder if it's time for Ford to drop in the new 3-valve Mustang GT motor? They keep saying that motor has great bottom end.

DEFYANT
03-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Thats it! The challenge is dropped! Ford will have to do something to increase HP and / or drop the price. Then again, with dodge, you get what you pay for. No doubt there will be complaints about the interior.

merc
03-28-2005, 01:18 PM
What do you think is under this Vic's hood ?

http://www.modernracer.com/features/futurecop.html

Krytin
03-28-2005, 01:21 PM
I don't think they can sell the Dodge w/a "hemi" for less than a CV.

Rider90
03-28-2005, 01:34 PM
What do you think is under this Vic's hood ?

http://www.modernracer.com/features/futurecop.html

A bunch of batteries :D

Bradley G
03-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Waaay too pricey!:twocents:

; squirrels!:eek:

A bunch of batteries :D

Shaft333
03-28-2005, 01:47 PM
I have my doubts as well that Dodge can approach pricing unless they sell 6cylinders to the cops.

valkyrie
03-28-2005, 01:49 PM
I don't think they can sell the Dodge w/a "hemi" for less than a CV.

They may be willing to suck it up to get them out there.

Bradley G
03-28-2005, 02:06 PM
If Chrysler is guaranteed a certain number of units,they may reduce $$margins to get a foothold back into that market.Thier last attempt was with the Intrepid:confused: No wonder they(D.Chrysler) were not able to get anywhere with that! It will be interesting to see if the Charger or other platform offered will stand up to municiple service.

Bradley G

O's Fan Rich
03-28-2005, 02:42 PM
Well , now what does FORD have to say about this? :argue:

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0503/28/autos-130981.htm

Sheesh, that'll confuse the heck out of the wannabee's and impersonators out there.
www.magnumchargercopcar.com anyone?

LordVader
03-28-2005, 02:51 PM
:argue: Ford will also have to do something about the fire potential that still exists. If D/C can prove that they don't have that issue and can beat their prices (which they will), then there will be fleets of Hemi powered police vehicles on our streets.

Paul T. Casey
03-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Drips
Oil
Drops
Grease
Everywhere.

What I drive is Fast On Race Day. Although once or twice it's been Found On Road Dead. For what it's worth, there hasn't been a comfortable back seat in a cruiser since 1991 model year, probably why I quit drinking. :rolleyes:

Mike Poore
03-28-2005, 03:39 PM
:argue: Ford will also have to do something about the fire potential that still exists. If D/C can prove that they don't have that issue and can beat their prices (which they will), then there will be fleets of Hemi powered police vehicles on our streets.
Here's what's gonna make the difference, I think:

"All 550 of his fleet's sedans are Crown Victorias, and he said he spends $21,000 to $23,000 per car. "We're hoping the new Dodge will be cheaper." Dodge says it will announce pricing later this year. For the police Charger, Dodge added enhanced brakes and a 340-horse power Hemi engine. "

How is Chrysler gonna put a car like that on the road for $21 -$23K? Ford already has the very strong 5.4, 3 valve which should have enough snot to be, at least, competitive, and, hopefully, fit into the engine bay. What about reliability and fuel consumption issues, with the Hemi, and are there enough data to establish a track record, yet? It's something the funds strapped, bean counters are going to be looking at very closely.:twocents:

I have a verry funny story about a California Highway Patrol guy in a Dodge somethingorother who was chasing a speeder, lights ablaze, and another motorist ......passed him.:rofl:

MENINBLK
03-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Police cars need 4 things...

1 - BIG STRONG ENGINE
2 - BIG REAR SEATING
3 - 5 STAR SAFETY CRASH RATING
4 - LARGE STRONG REINFORCED TRUNK FOR STORING ABOUT 800LBS OF EQUIPMENT

When the Charger can do that, FOR LESS, they'll consider it.

Joe Walsh
03-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Yeah, But " IT'S GOT A HEMI !! " ;)

woaface
03-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Police have opted to stick with the Crown Vic despite high-profile issues with the sedan. Nearly 20 police officers have died after their Crown Vics were struck from behind at high speeds, resulting in fiery explosions, according to accident reports. OH NO! NEARLY 20! THE WORLD IS ENDING and EVERYONE IS DYING FROM ACCIDENTS THAT MOSTLY COULD NOT HAVE BEEN PREVENTED!

The explosions are due to the gas tank being behind the axle, not in front of itNot all accidents occured at HIGH SPEEDS (:cough: key word). With a gas tank that big, and an accident with speed as the pertinent variable, it's really a no-brainer what's going to happen. There are extreme elements involved here and the anti-everything media is running around like a decapitated chicken....THE SKY IS FALLING!

I know at least one of those officers was struck by another Crown Vic moving around 90mph. The types of accidents sited are rare. Yes something could be done because anything can be done, but sometimes reporters act as if we don't fix it tomorrow, everyone will just up and die.

The Panther platform is nearly the safest car on the planet. Smaller cars might get 5 stars here and there, or like the Ford 500, 5 stars around, but mass is a huge factor. Those numbers are only comparable to vehicles within 500lbs of the test vehicle. Yet the Crown Victoria can and often does withstand extremely violent accidents. Ask how many lives have been saved due to the construction and generally large arse of a Panther based car, and I guarentee the number is way past 20.

Bobby Clobber
03-28-2005, 04:08 PM
Yeah it's got a HEMI , but you can get salve for that. :banana:

rayjay
03-28-2005, 05:39 PM
It will have to prove its reliable over its expected service life. Repair parts have to be readily available. Fuel economy will become an issue, in some places it already is. Safety is certainly an issue. They are correct about the testing done by the Michigan State Police. It crosses my desk every year. The jury is not even being drafted yet. I'll wait and see. I am also looking at the AWD 500 for fleet service. Might be a possiblity in our climate.

Mad4Macs
03-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Magnums are already in use by the LEO's in Auburn Hills, MI. And yes, that IS the Daimler Chrysler building behind the cop shop :D

CBT
03-29-2005, 06:26 AM
LMAO!! I guess that's a good reason to quit!
Drips
Oil
Drops
Grease
Everywhere.

What I drive is Fast On Race Day. Although once or twice it's been Found On Road Dead. For what it's worth, there hasn't been a comfortable back seat in a cruiser since 1991 model year, probably why I quit drinking. :rolleyes: