PDA

View Full Version : B.F. Goodrich Drag Radials

MarauderTJA
03-30-2005, 06:23 PM
I was wondering if anyone has looked at the new G-force T/A Drag Radials, specifically the 265 X 40 X 18 for our Marauder's. I really need to get some traction for my car and was looking for a short term, less expensive alternative to the widened rims, Nitto 305 Drag Radials with a tire that would fit our 18 X 8 rims.

In my research I found that the front 235 X 50 X 18 tire has a 27.2 O.D.. The 265 X 40 X 18 B.F. Goodrich Drag Radial has a 26.2 O.D. That is only 1" difference. However it is 2" difference from the standard rear 245 X 55 X 18, 28.2 O.D. tires. The car has a rake on it and I do not think it will look too bad. 1 " lower than the fronts. I believe it may cause problems with the ABS light and computer settings. Can this be adjusted through the computer? I also realize that my gear ratio (4:10's now) will be a tad lower, probably 4:20 or so which is OK.

Has anyone looked into this or have any comments.......:confused:

Lidio
03-30-2005, 06:57 PM
I was wondering if anyone has looked at the new G-force T/A Drag Radials, specifically the 265 X 40 X 18 for our Marauder's. I really need to get some traction for my car and was looking for a short term, less expensive alternative to the widened rims, Nitto 305 Drag Radials with a tire that would fit our 18 X 8 rims.

In my research I found that the front 235 X 50 X 18 tire has a 27.2 O.D.. The 265 X 40 X 18 B.F. Goodrich Drag Radial has a 26.2 O.D. That is only 1" difference. However it is 2" difference from the standard rear 245 X 55 X 18, 28.2 O.D. tires. The car has a rake on it and I do not think it will look too bad. 1 " lower than the fronts. I believe it may cause problems with the ABS light and computer settings. Can this be adjusted through the computer? I also realize that my gear ratio (4:10's now) will be a tad lower, probably 4:20 or so which is OK.

Has anyone looked into this or have any comments.......:confused:

I tend to consider myself a neurotic when it comes to appropriate looking wheel, tire, ride height, and wheel well gaps on my cars when playing around with various rim and tire needs.

I’m not trying to get you to buy a set of widened rims from me or any one else. But lowering the height or diameter of the rear tire on a MM even a ˝” to me is very inappropriate looking especially on the 18” wheels. It just doesn’t look right with less side wall on that car, and its over all size and shape of the MM. Staying with the stock height rear tire or slightly taller is what I’ve found to be the most appealing. This is why I feel we’re very fortunate that Nitto and no one else so far makes a drag radial that is so fitting for the MM when installed on the stock wheels once they’ve been widened to 9.5”. That tire is the 305/45/18 -- 555R Drag Radial, Originally meant only for the ‘99 and up Ford Lightning’s as far as I could tell.

Even though Certain Marauder tuners are putting equal sized slightly shorter tires all around the Marauder… in my opining it just doesn’t have the same tough stance as the staggered sizes look especially with the widened rear rim thing we do and the 305’s.

On my Mach-1 I run the stock 245/45/17 tires in the front with the stock 17 X 8 rim.
In the rear I run a widened stock rim that is 17 X 10.5 and the BF Goodrich 315/35/17 drag radial tire. Because the rear tire is a BF drag radial, they’re shaved a little and end up being about .100 to .150 shorter then the front tires, and it burns my ass that the rears are even just that small amount shorter then the fronts. Most don’t catch it when looking at it, but its there and I don’t have any other tire choice for that car to hook it.

notacop
03-30-2005, 07:30 PM
I tend to consider myself a neurotic when it comes to appropriate looking wheel, tire, ride height, and wheel well gaps on my cars when playing around with various rim and tire needs.

I’m not trying to get you to buy a set of widened rims from me or any one else. But lowering the height or diameter of the rear tire on a MM even a ˝” to me is very inappropriate looking especially on the 18” wheels. It just doesn’t look right with less side wall on that car, and its over all size and shape of the MM. Staying with the stock height rear tire or slightly taller is what I’ve found to be the most appealing. This is why I feel we’re very fortunate that Nitto and no one else so far makes a drag radial that is so fitting for the MM when installed on the stock wheels once they’ve been widened to 9.5”. That tire is the 305/45/18 -- 555R Drag Radial, Originally meant only for the ‘99 and up Ford Lightning’s as far as I could tell.

Even though Certain Marauder tuners are putting equal sized slightly shorter tires all around the Marauder… in my opining it just doesn’t have the same tough stance as the staggered sizes look especially with the widened rear rim thing we do and the 305’s.

On my Mach-1 I run the stock 245/45/17 tires in the front with the stock 17 X 8 rim.
In the rear I run a widened stock rim that is 17 X 10.5 and the BF Goodrich 315/35/17 drag radial tire. Because the rear tire is a BF drag radial, they’re shaved a little and end up being about .100 to .150 shorter then the front tires, and it burns my ass that the rears are even just that small amount shorter then the fronts. Most don’t catch it when looking at it, but its there and I don’t have any other tire choice for that car to hook it.

yeah i put some used michelin pilot sports (275/40 rear 255/45 front) on my car as the poor mans way to get the effects of a 3.77 rear gear ratio. it DID NOT look right for several reasons: 1) the fenderwell gap got bigger 2) the rake was gone 3) although both the fronts and rears were quoted to have the same diameter, it appeared that the fronts had a taller sidewall, which in my opinion was the worst part...just seems to look horrible on a rear wheel drive car which should have a staggered tire setup

The bigger meat out back and shorter sidewall on the rear tires looked tough when looking from an offset rear view...but not enough so to justify the way the car appeared when viewing from the side.

MarauderTJA
03-30-2005, 07:41 PM

In the rear I run a widened stock rim that is 17 X 10.5 and the BF Goodrich 315/35/17 drag radial tire. Because the rear tire is a BF drag radial, they’re shaved a little and end up being about .100 to .150 shorter then the front tires, and it burns my ass that the rears are even just that small amount shorter then the fronts. Most don’t catch it when looking at it, but its there and I don’t have any other tire choice for that car to hook it.I agree with you 100%. I too am anal about good looks and the stance of the car. You told me exactly what I figured. Side wall height was going to be a problem, plus other issues.

I run 17 X 9's with 275 X 17 Nitto 555's on the front of my mustang and 17 X 10.5 with 315 Nitto Drag radials on the rear. The sits real pretty with these wheel and tires, plus the car is lowered 1" 1/4. I wouldn't want my Marauder to look stupid either.

My plans ARE TO BUY YOUR widened rims for my MM. I'll PM you with a couple of questions. Thanks Lidio for you input. You clarified my questions.