PDA

View Full Version : newmemeber/grand marquis/questions

adearmas
04-04-2005, 12:10 PM
I have a 1999 Grand Marquis with 75000 and running as new.

Not needing to woryy about any warranty issues anymore and not contemplating to retire the GM I would like to make some upgrade performance mods. Exhaust, intake, Superchips, suspension and others I do not know about I am willing to consider.

What bolt on upgrade performance mods are out there available and where to get them?

I searched for a GM forum but found none.

What is the difference between my GM and the Marauder?

Thanks.

Rider90
04-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Biggest difference is probably that the Grand Marquis has the SOHC (Single Overhead Cam) Engine and the Marauder has the DOHC (Dual Overhead Cam) Engine.

I think the best place to start for modding would be www.crownvic.net. They have tons of users over there with the same SOHC engine and they will know what mods yield the best gains.

I myself had a 99 CVPI with a ported upper intake plenum, ADTR Cold Air Intake, and Stainless Borla Exhaust System. All those gave it a better punch, next step would have been a chip.

I would check out crownvic.net for more extensive advice. Welcome to MercuryMarauder.net though!

adearmas
04-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Biggest difference is probably that the Grand Marquis has the SOHC (Single Overhead Cam) Engine and the Marauder has the DOHC (Dual Overhead Cam) Engine.

I think the best place to start for modding would be www.crownvic.net (http://www.crownvic.net/). They have tons of users over there with the same SOHC engine and they will know what mods yield the best gains.

I myself had a 99 CVPI with a ported upper intake plenum, ADTR Cold Air Intake, and Stainless Borla Exhaust System. All those gave it a better punch, next step would have been a chip.

I would check out crownvic.net for more extensive advice. Welcome to MercuryMarauder.net though!Thanks. I will look into it.

Embassy
04-04-2005, 12:22 PM
With all performance mods, it depends on what you want to spend.

For approximately $500, you can install a custom chip/tune and a Marauder MAF and airbox.

Given the fact you have a 4.6L that does not have the PI (Performance Improved) heads and cams, you might consider installing PI cams and a PI intake.

Other mods include firming up the transmission shift points with the "J-Mod" (search CVN for more info) and installing a track-lock w/numerically higher gears.

Finally, an inexpensive mod is installing Steeda underdrive pullies.

Hope this helps.

Agent M79
04-04-2005, 12:24 PM
I have a 1999 Grand Marquis ...
I might start with one of our resident CV modders, gdmjoe. I am not sure there isn't anything in his CV that he hasn't tinkered on.

RoyLPita
04-04-2005, 12:24 PM
You could start with some Crown Victoria Police Interceptor equipment. If your GM has the Handling & Performance package, then you could add the CVPI PCM & drop the PATS keys. It will wake up the car & also work nicely with the HPP package. If not, then you could get the PCM, suspension, exhaust & rear end from a salvage yard.

Just my .02 and then some.

Eric91Z
04-04-2005, 12:27 PM
I would agree with the above. Also might want to check out crownvic.us

Also, for suppliers, try:

www.adtr.net and get a hold of Chris - he has been very helpful in answering my questions.

Also, try www.reinhartautomotive.com for more options and he is a sponsor here.

Merc-O-matic
04-04-2005, 07:36 PM
I have a 1999 Grand Marquis with 75000 and running as new.

Not needing to woryy about any warranty issues anymore and not contemplating to retire the GM I would like to make some upgrade performance mods. Exhaust, intake, Superchips, suspension and others I do not know about I am willing to consider.

What bolt on upgrade performance mods are out there available and where to get them?

I searched for a GM forum but found none.

What is the difference between my GM and the Marauder?

Thanks.

You might want to consider some "tall gears" for the ass end.
Maybe 3:73's or 4:10's "FoMoCo" racing gears.... plus exhaust,
chip, pulleys, K&N air box or run with the "big dogs" get a "Blower"
from Kenny Brown!

Gotta Love It!

jgc61sr2002
04-04-2005, 08:18 PM
Welcome to the site. :D The best on the net. Lots of good info and nice folks.