PDA

View Full Version : Ford Shelby GT500

Bluerauder
04-04-2005, 04:52 PM
The May 2005 issue of MotorTrend has an article beginning on page 52 about the release of the Shelby GT500. Coming late 2006 for the 2007 model year. Powered by a 5.4L, 450+ Hp plant .... and the styling is .... well ..... I feel like I'm 18 again !!! :D Here's a teaser pic from the cover..... right side.

MotorTrend Link (http://www.motortrend.com)

Bradley G
04-04-2005, 05:01 PM
If that car makes you feel that gooD!

I hope you are able to git yerself onena dem dare Shelby GT500s!:beatnik:
Bradley G

JohnnyB
04-04-2005, 05:07 PM
I saw that same car last week at the NY Auto Show. It is one serious machine. The engine is awesome and the interior is similar to the current Mustang GT. The Ford representative did not know the final pricing however the car is scheduled to go on sale late fall 2006.

Start saving.......

Bluerauder
04-04-2005, 05:19 PM
The Ford representative did not know the final pricing however the car is scheduled to go on sale late fall 2006.

Start saving.......

The article estimated it at about $40K-45K.

Haggis
04-04-2005, 06:10 PM
The May 2005 issue of MotorTrend has an article beginning on page 52 about the release of the Shelby GT500. Coming late 2006 for the 2007 model year. Powered by a 5.4L, 450+ Hp plant .... and the styling is .... well ..... I feel like I'm 18 again !!! :D Here's a teaser pic from the cover..... right side.

Charlie, now you can go 'WooWoo'!! :2thumbs:

klmore
04-04-2005, 06:20 PM
The article estimated it at about $40K-45K.
I will be in for one at that price range, but I bet they will only make a few thousand and the dealers will mark them up a 100% like the GT.:(

Donny Carlson
04-04-2005, 06:41 PM
I will be in for one at that price range, but I bet they will only make a few thousand and the dealers will mark them up a 100% like the GT.:(
Autoweek quoted an SVT spokesman who said target price was $40K, and "they would build as many as customers want." Still, it will be low numbers, comparatively, but this tells me that you'll be able to order one without the reaming dealer add on, depending. Just don't try to do it the week it comes out, otherwise you'll need an extra large tube of astroglide.

MENINBLK
04-04-2005, 06:54 PM

IIRC it is a 3 valve V8.
2 intake, 1 Exhaust...
The model engine was on the show floor...

Bluerauder
04-04-2005, 09:21 PM
IIRC it is a 3 valve V8.
2 intake, 1 Exhaust...
The model engine was on the show floor...
From the article .... "Instead, the Shelby-spec engine is an evolution of the outgoing SVT Cobra's 390-horsepower, iron block, aluminum head, four valve, Roots blown 4.6, with a critical difference. It's finally received the displacement increase -- to 5.4 liters -- everyone's been begging for."

BillyGman
04-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Hmmmm, sounds like there are some misconceptions here about this future car........ It is NOT a three valve engine, and it will NOT have a Roots blower, and you have NOT already seen it on the dealer's showroom floor. The Shelby GT500, will have an iron block, forged pistons, forged connecting rods, and forged steel crankshaft just like the 03/04 Cobra engines do. However, unlike the Cobra engine, it will be a 5.4L displacement, will have an Eaton TWIN SCREW supercharger (NOT a roots S/Cer), and unlike the 03/04 Cobra engines, it will have the cylinder heads and camshafts of the 2005 Ford GT supercar engine which ofcourse are 32 valve heads (4 valves per cylinder). SVT is saying that they will be producing 7,500 per year, but they might decide to increase the production numbers to 10,000 per year.

And unlike the 03/04 Cobra, it will have a solid axle instead of an IRS set-up. I'm really looking forward to this car coming out, and if the price tag is kept under $40K (which is a big "IF") then I might very well be selling my Marauder one year from now in order to buy one of these cars. But only time will tell. I'd have to drive one first.

Murader03
04-06-2005, 02:47 AM
Yep! Billy, I might just have to do that too! I've seen the GT, liked the car, but am waiting to see it in 'vert form and drive it. Will probably look into the slush box as my 60 year old left leg just ain't what it used to be. So, that would keep my out of the Shelby, but who knows. The cost of a Shelby 'vert would also be slightly prohibitive......We'll see! :D

BillyGman
04-06-2005, 06:33 AM
Yep! Billy, I might just have to do that too! I've seen the GT, liked the car, but am waiting to see it in 'vert form and drive it. Will probably look into the slush box as my 60 year old left leg just ain't what it used to be. So, that would keep my out of the Shelby, but who knows. The cost of a Shelby 'vert would also be slightly prohibitive......We'll see! :Dhere's some food for thought for you....I know that modifying a brand new car isn't the kind of thing that most prospective car buyers care to think about. However, look at it this way, if the GT500 comes out with a clutch and pressure plate which causes too much back pressure on the clutch pedal for you, then you can always replace the stock clutch with the after market "Dual friction" centerforce clutch, because they provide more grabbing power for high torque applications, with less pedal effort than other clutches create. ;)

JohnnyB
04-06-2005, 06:38 AM
If interest rates keep rising I doubt the dealers will be able to add that much of a mark-up (if any ) to the price of this car w/o making the resulting monthy payments ridiculously high. Bottom line, its still a Mustang.

BillyGman
04-06-2005, 07:07 AM
If interest rates keep rising I doubt the dealers will be able to add that much of a mark-up (if any ) to the price of this car w/o making the resulting monthy payments ridiculously high. Bottom line, its still a Mustang. I think that will depend on how many people begin to flock to the dealers to lay down deposites for these cars. There are already guys on another board that I visit who are saying that they've already left deposits for one of these cars. If any given dealer has a dozen or more guys doing that, then they're going to set the price at almost anything that they want unless those customers start balking at the prices, and demand their deposits back. Remember, there's no dealer in this stage of the game who can tell you what the price will be on one of these cars, however, there are still some of them who will take your deposit.

JohnnyB
04-06-2005, 07:43 AM
The Ford rep at the NY Auto Show said that the dealers were hesitant to take deposits, (but they would) because the final pricing was not announced.

Do you know if the Shelby will only be available through an SVT dealer...

BillyGman
04-06-2005, 10:44 PM
The Ford rep at the NY Auto Show said that the dealers were hesitant to take deposits, (but they would) because the final pricing was not announced.

Do you know if the Shelby will only be available through an SVT dealer...my guess is that it will be possible to have any Ford dealer order one for you, but only SVT dealers will have any sitting on their lots unclaimed. but I'm merely guessing on that. I really don't know for sure.

Bradley G
04-07-2005, 02:36 AM
Only SVT dealers were able to order/sell/trade other dealers for SVT products (exception SVT Focus)

Bradley G

my guess is that it will be possible to have any Ford dealer order one for you, but only SVT dealers will have any sitting on their lots unclaimed. but I'm merely guessing on that. I really don't know for sure.