PDA

View Full Version : Dog!

JerseyVics
04-07-2005, 08:46 PM
I am seriously thinking of getting a dog right about now.

My depression is getting worse every day, things at home and at work aren't looking pretty, so a new best friend might not be a bad idea.

Now I know next to nothing about dogs, and I know a lot of people love those things so asking for advise is probably the best type of research I can do before making a long-term commitment.

I don't even know where to start... Since I don't know what I want, I'll list what I don't want. I want a male dog. I don't want a dog that is taller or weighs more than me, and I don't want a pocket dog either. I don't want an ugly dog, something respectable looking. I don't want a high maintenance dog, he will probably only be groomed by me so nothing fancy. I want a dog that will get along with the cat that we already got. I don't want a messy dog, something with short hair would be ideal. I don't know if I want a puppy or a grown dog, there's certainly advantages and disadvantages to both. I think I want a pure dog... not sure if I'd want a dog from a shelter, but I know I definitely can't afford a dog that was a special breed or something. I don't want a mixed mut, I guess thats what I'm saying.

Anybody has ideas, please share.

I know for a fact a lot of you have dogs, so don't be shy... like I said this will be a long-term relationship, so I don't want to get something I'm not going to like.

I'm gonna name him Vic... no real surprise there, the dog will ride around with me a great deal of time so he better recognize the meaning of his existance and start his love for the panther platform, heh... Victor as in Victory is not a sissy name, I don't think, so I think it'll suit him well.

Not sure what else to say about this, but I wanna get one now... anybody got any leads/ideas?

--Russ

DEFYANT
04-07-2005, 08:50 PM
How about a mut? They are supposed to be healthy and can be had cheep.

MM03MOK
04-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Check out your local shelters.

http://www.petfinder.com/

DEFYANT
04-07-2005, 09:04 PM

There is a good idea!!!

JerseyVics
04-07-2005, 09:05 PM

thanks for that shelter link... turns out a lot of places right here in Elmwood Park!

and whats more its so funny how honest people are... this one dog's owner says the poor thing eats too much, lol quote: "He dives feet and head first into his bowl" which probably wouldn't work for me, but as I'm looking at all the pictures of those dogs, they're too cute!

most of them are mixed though, I want a specific breed... which one? I don't know...

--Russ

DEFYANT
04-07-2005, 09:29 PM
Try and get one that doesnt get off on rolling around in other strange animal feces!!!

AzMarauder
04-07-2005, 09:54 PM
I am seriously thinking of getting a dog right about now.

My depression is getting worse every day, things at home and at work aren't looking pretty, so a new best friend might not be a bad idea.

Now I know next to nothing about dogs, and I know a lot of people love those things so asking for advise is probably the best type of research I can do before making a long-term commitment.

I don't even know where to start... Since I don't know what I want, I'll list what I don't want. I want a male dog. I don't want a dog that is taller or weighs more than me, and I don't want a pocket dog either. I don't want an ugly dog, something respectable looking. I don't want a high maintenance dog, he will probably only be groomed by me so nothing fancy. I want a dog that will get along with the cat that we already got. I don't want a messy dog, something with short hair would be ideal. I don't know if I want a puppy or a grown dog, there's certainly advantages and disadvantages to both. I think I want a pure dog... not sure if I'd want a dog from a shelter, but I know I definitely can't afford a dog that was a special breed or something. I don't want a mixed mut, I guess thats what I'm saying.

Anybody has ideas, please share.

I know for a fact a lot of you have dogs, so don't be shy... like I said this will be a long-term relationship, so I don't want to get something I'm not going to like.

I'm gonna name him Vic... no real surprise there, the dog will ride around with me a great deal of time so he better recognize the meaning of his existance and start his love for the panther platform, heh... Victor as in Victory is not a sissy name, I don't think, so I think it'll suit him well.

Not sure what else to say about this, but I wanna get one now... anybody got any leads/ideas?

--RussRuss... I don't know you.... but I do know animals.... I have quite a few.

Your letter above sounds like you are pretty confused about a lot of things right now. (job, home, etc.) I can respect life's difficulties... but right now I wouldn't even recommend bringing a dog into your life. Loyalty with an animal goes both ways you see.... Dog's have the damndest habit of wanting attention not only when you want to give it... but at other times as well. They aren't inexpensive (any breed) and require the normal feeding costs... but also annual shots... and health care if they have problems. I've spent nearly $1,000 a pop depending on what has happened to my dogs. Vet bills can be very expensive.

Now having said all that....

Purebred dogs are going to cost. Depending on quality anywhere from $150 - $2500 and that isn't the expensive purebreds.

Dogs shed... (with a few exceptions.. for example Yorkshire Terriers .. which I have ... don't shed.. Poodles are low shedders) so you are going to have hair all over the place.

If you are hung up on purebreds my question to you is why? Status symbol? I've got both pure and mutts and I can tell you I get as much or more from my mutts as I get from my purebreds.

Do some searches on the web for dog types... and you will find sites that can rate the different breeds by health, obedience, intelligence, etc.

Example... English Bull Terriers get great marks for intelligence but lousy marks for obedience. Summary... smart dog.. that doesn't like to be told what to do.

Australian Shepherd... great marks for intelligence... great marks for obedience.... Summary .. smart dog that LOVES to be told what to do... have things to do... a working dog. Downside to an Aussie.. and even more so for a Border Collie... is they want to be busy... they MUST be kept busy... exercised.. worked... they want to go with you ALL the time... have something to do etc. They don't couch potato well.

So .. I guess my message is.... be real sure you know what you are taking on. Dogs give a lot... but they require as much or more. If life has you by the cajones right now... a dog is going to add to your problems more than help you with them.

JerseyVics
04-07-2005, 10:01 PM
AzMarauder thank you for your input, great advise!

I know I overstated my current state, I can assure you I'm fine, there are things that aren't going my way but I'm sure everyone else can ***** about the same thing happening to them, but choose not to. I say it for fun, and I say it knowing that I say it for fun to add to the conversation. I am a weird person though, when I worked a lot of hours I knew it was killing me mentally, so I cut down... now I spend two days at home with nothing to do but relaxing, and thats killing me too... so I'm sure anyone else has experienced this and its nothing out of the ordinary.

I also mentioned that I know next to nothing about dogs, so I'm really glad to read on everyone's input! I had no idea dogs have annual shots, I thought it was a one time deal, glad you told me. I like the info on obedience too. I want the dog to be obedient for sure, but I also want one that can have fun.

thanks for the input again!

--Russ

dwasson
04-07-2005, 10:16 PM
Vic, I am the national chair for Kuvasz Rescue. While I would not recommend a Kuvasz for you (big, mean, and shed white hair like an explosion) I'd like to give you a few things to think about when choosing a breed.

I think that most people who work outside the home should think about a dog from the working group. While usually on the large side, the working breeds tend to be calm as adults. Most herding dogs and sporting dogs have a lot of energy and a desire to do something. This can mean that you need to entertain them or they can be destructive.

Short haired dogs shed as much as long haired dogs. While looking worse, longer hair can be easier to clean up.

Large breeds are puppies until they are three years old. Most big dogs are better every day after their second birthday. If you work and live alone, puppies are work. Get an adult.

Buy a crate and use it! Crates save more dog's lives than veterinarians. If your dog is allowed to have the run of the house he will screw up. Crates make it easier to housebreak and a new dogs needs to be housebroken to YOUR house. Dogs are site specific.

When I bring a new dog into my house I either have him tied to me with ten foot long piece of light line, or he is in a crate, or he is out in the yard. And he isn't unattened in the yard long at first, until I know him.

If you find a breed you like contact me and I can refer you to the rescue group for that breed. If you need anything else let me know. I have a Kuvasz Rescue associate in Central New Jersey

And I think that you should consider a Boxer. They are cool dogs.

Good luck.

JerseyVics
04-07-2005, 10:25 PM
thanks for your reply Dan!

you hit a few points I forgot to mention in my original thread.

yes I do need a dog that can hold it in for 8 hours or more on a given day, or can use the cat's litter box, lol

I don't live alone yet, so either my parents or sister will be able to walk him or better yet on those days that allow it, he can roam around the backyard, which is large enough to keep him occupied. I like the idea of having a crate, thats excellent advise!

thank you, and keep it comming!

--Russ

stevengerard
04-07-2005, 10:38 PM
What AZ said, I have had dogs and love them, I don't now - 4 kids is enough. I would really seriously think about this, a dog is tough especially a puppy. And even a grown trained dog needs attention. Nothing worse then coming home after a long day and not having the patience to find out he pooped all over or she chewed up your shoes.

rayjay
04-08-2005, 01:46 AM
Everyone has provided you with great advice. If you are still living at home and plan on being there a while, I'd make it a group decision. Do a lot of research on the various breeds before you commit to one. Some people buy a dog and get in over their head. With that said I am very fond of Rottweilers. I have two, a male and a female. I do not worry about my family's safety while I'm working nights with Duke and Tooty in the house. Rotties are easily trained, loyal, love children, are intelligent and get along well with other pets. It is instinctive for them to protect their family. I pity anyone who tries to harm my daughter with the dogs around. My male will not leave my daughters side when she is playing outside. They have a very undeserved bad reputation. Any dog can be trained to be vicious. Rotties do need to be obiediance trained. They are just to big and powerful to control if they are not trained. If you do get a Rottie, be sure to buy a quality dog with a good pedigree from a respected breeder. DO NOT get a mixed Rottie, they are too unpredictable mentally.

kartherma
04-08-2005, 02:32 AM
Hi,

I am a Lab Lover from way back. I have a hard time telling folks to get one though. Labs are bigger and they shed alot too. They eat alot and then poop alot.
But they are great companions, smart and obedient to a point.

If you are going to go through with this plan of getting a dog and bringing it into the family, please try to do the best homework you can for the little guy. If you have a small place with a small backyard, a larger working or sporting breed would probably not be the best choice. If you dont have time to daily walk/run the dog, again a working or sporting breed may not be the best choice.

Labs are great with kids and other animals. during their younger years they tend to be a bit on the high energy/high maintenance side. A fully grown and house trained lab can be a very docile creature that you would love.

best thing about labs is their temper. I love em and wouldnt have any other breed personally. But I would never bring one into an apartment or other small-ish sized place.

good luck on your search!

Bradley G
04-08-2005, 04:25 AM
I like muts!

I have "Patches"2 yrs. old 60#s male.He is Husky/Border Collie.
Muts have a better disposition than the pure breds that I have had.
I think you need to visit some shelters and spend time with the animals and see which one(s) respond to/with you .
Good luck Russ!
PS last time I set out for a dog it was to be female smaller>25#no /little sheding.
I got:Big Male Two coats; under/over coat =tons of shedding:rolleyes: He's Great!
Bradley G

2003 MIB
04-08-2005, 04:33 AM
Pit Bulls get a lot of bad press but this dog is perfect for us. She's very sweet, very alert, rides in vehicles well and is protective of the kids. A bit of a goofball but most pups are.

MarauderMark
04-08-2005, 05:20 AM
We got our dog from channel 3 saturday morning news as a puppy.then we had to goto the s.p.c.a.to get em .half boxer and half dalmation. the best dog we ever had he's so smart that some things you have to spell around him very friendly to us and you if we tell him and never goes(1 or 2) in the house.yep he's the best!:up:

O's Fan Rich
04-08-2005, 05:35 AM
The pound is THE BEST place to get a new buddy!!!!!!
Get two while you're at it.We have had nothing but good experiences with our freinds from the Humane Society.

04funmerc
04-08-2005, 06:09 AM
It's really a hard question as to which dog is right for you. There are so many dogs, and most I like. In this case I'll just give my personal .02

I've had two dogs, LUTHER, a black lab, he grew up to 120 lbs. He was a great dog and a lot of fun for meand my family. There was usually someone always home, as I have four kids and great with children. When he was alone he didn't like it and tipped over the trash, if we left it out absentmindally. It seems everything we said NO about, he did when he was alone. Crates are great for curing that. We found out about crates too late.

Hoseer, was a mixed Lab and Collie, black, with white markings, he grew to be about 70 Lbs. and we got him when Luther was 7 and he was a pup. It was hilarious to see the two of them in the yard, the actual space for them to run was about 40' X 55' . In the house you learned to pick up your feet they liked to lay by the kitchen door because that's where the action was.

In short, Crate train a dog, everyone will be happier when you go out, If you buy a pure-bred get the dog from a reputeable breeder with 'health garienty"
but it will cost $$$ depending on breed.
Get one from a friend ??? that can be dicey as well as getting one from a pound.

Dogs in my experience tend to take on the characteristics of their owner. IE: if the owner is laid back, ditto. if the owner yells the dog will usually hide. In a way the dog seems to mirror the owners moods and actions.

WOW, this is going to be a little longer than I thought!

My Son and Daughter-in-law adopted a Grayhound from a rescue center, and you don't just go and pick up the dog...there is a process to go thru to see if you are compatable together.
The dog, Sasha, was Crate trained, dose'nt bark very much, runs like the devil is after him, and need s attention, he was 3 when they got him. He still needs training. He didn't know to play, didn't know what a ball was or anything. they don't eat a lot or poop a lot. Although they run like hell they don't have a lot of stamina. He dosen't pay much attention to other doges after a sniff or too. We baby-sit for him when they go out of town, so i'm a little prejudiced.

LASTLY, you have to keep the claws trimmed on any dog if he is going to be in you car....OH YEAH, if the dog is in the car you're going to get your ear likked so wear earmuffs.;) ;)

JIM

AzMarauder
04-08-2005, 06:30 AM
Pit Bulls get a lot of bad press but this dog is perfect for us. She's very sweet, very alert, rides in vehicles well and is protective of the kids. A bit of a goofball but most pups are.
Personally,

I've never met a mean pitbull ! The ones I've met were family owned and very friendly. The downside of course... is in Germany for example... you have to pay for liability insurance (mandatory) for a Pitbull because of its reputation. If the dog does bite someone... you are in for a ***** storm because of the reputation. I think statistically Chows and Shepherds lead the list of dogs that bite .. but...

Finally... a Pitbull is P O W E R F U L L. So if you have one that is at all wayward... like on a walk.... you are going for a "drag" if the dog decides that is where you are going.

rookie1
04-08-2005, 07:10 AM
Tough question! As most have said you have to decide what breed fits your lifestyle. We currently have a lab/husky mix that's one of the most loving dogs we've owned but sporting dogs need to exercise....the Husky in him requires alot of exercise including hour long fetch gmes in the back yard.
Border collies, Australian shepherds, Dalmations, are all breeds that require alot of action also. Labs are probably one of the most popular dog breeds and are wonderful pets after they turn 2-3 years old, they're nuts b4 then,
The Golden Retriever has one of the absolutely best dispositions of any breed especially for a family pet, but, you have to be careful with finding the right breeder.
Finally, prior to our current rascal we had a Brittany Spaniel/Golden Retriever mix from the pound and who knows what other bloodlines he had. He was the best dog we've ever had. The lab/Husky mix we have now is getting there but he has big shoes to fill.
Good luck and of all the dogs I've had the pound mutts have had the best personalities and dispositions.

wchain
04-08-2005, 07:22 AM
thanks for that shelter link... turns out a lot of places right here in Elmwood Park!

and whats more its so funny how honest people are... this one dog's owner says the poor thing eats too much, lol quote: "He dives feet and head first into his bowl" which probably wouldn't work for me, but as I'm looking at all the pictures of those dogs, they're too cute!

most of them are mixed though, I want a specific breed... which one? I don't know...

--Russ

Ah...nothing like a Dog for instant validation of your existance on earth. I have a dog. And they do lots for your emotional health. Don't forget what Dog spelled backwards is........... :)

svtguy
04-08-2005, 08:01 AM
As mentioned by others. Please be aware of what a big responsibilty having a dog is and if you're ready for it at this stage of your life.
I love dogs but they can be a pain, even well trained ones. And then they die!!
Consider this. You have your best bud for about 10 or even 15 years. You've gotten so attached, your kids and wife love him so much, and then one day you have to take him away to be put down.
I never realized how heartbreaking this was untill last year when one of my toy fox terriers passed after 10 loving, loyal years. I cried like a l!ttle b!tch and swore I would never get another one. And I have to go through this again as it is. Hopefully not for a while though. Sorry to ruin the good spirited dog fun here. Just my .02.

ckadiddle
04-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Hmm...low maintenance, can hold it in for an entire day...life span as long as yours..... you need one of these...

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start?CategoryName=hid_pr_aibo

:D

Al Goguen
04-08-2005, 08:10 AM
TFT"s (Toy fox terrier) full grown about 11-12 pounds. LOve everyone and
everything. The love to be with you, sleep in your bed under the covers
and are easy to Pad train. (Pad train) doggy pad you can buy in pet stores,
you put on the floor and teach the animal to use it for his bussiness.
They are obsorbent and you can fold em up and throw em away..

I have a toy fox terrier and after having Germain sheppard and Labs all
my life I will say I should have had a toy fox all alone.....The are great
watch dogs, lousy guard dogs(due to size) put want to be with you all the
time. The ride good...
Right now mine is in my lap while I am typing. He is never far from me at
any time.......
Go to the AKC.org site and check out the breed. I think you will love em.
:beer:

P.S. You can see in the picture the pad right behind the dog...1st day at
home he was 8 weeks old....Now stands 11 inches at the shoulder and wieghs 12lbs..(Alittle over weight)LOL

dwasson
04-08-2005, 08:17 AM
Some people have talked about getting two dogs and that is a good idea. But I would not get two at one time. If you get two dogs at one time you never have the status in their world that you would have otherwise. Dogs, being such pack animals, will naturally identify with other dogs before they will bond to you. I think that you should wait until your first dog is trained to your satisfaction before you bring another dog into your home.

svtguy
04-08-2005, 08:30 AM
TFT"s (Toy fox terrier) full grown about 11-12 pounds. LOve everyone and
everything. The love to be with you, sleep in your bed under the covers
and are easy to Pad train. (Pad train) doggy pad you can buy in pet stores,
you put on the floor and teach the animal to use it for his bussiness.
They are obsorbent and you can fold em up and throw em away..

I have a toy fox terrier and after having Germain sheppard and Labs all
my life I will say I should have had a toy fox all alone.....The are great
watch dogs, lousy guard dogs(due to size) put want to be with you all the
time. The ride good...
Right now mine is in my lap while I am typing. He is never far from me at
any time.......
Go to the AKC.org site and check out the breed. I think you will love em.
:beer:

P.S. You can see in the picture the pad right behind the dog...1st day at
home he was 8 weeks old....Now stands 11 inches at the shoulder and wieghs 12lbs..(Alittle over weight)LOLAl you're right about our TFT's. They're awesome. Mine is a 4 lb'er and the one that paseed was 4.5 lb's. GREAT watch dogs - damn yappers - but they let you know if ANYONE comes around, and that's really all you need a watch dog to do, IMO. May annoy many though.

2003 MIB
04-08-2005, 08:58 AM
Dogs, being such pack animals, will naturally identify with other dogs before they will bond to you. I think that you should wait until your first dog is trained to your satisfaction before you bring another dog into your home.
Best advice in this thread!!!!!:beer:

wchain
04-08-2005, 09:02 AM
Get a big dog....
http://images2.fotki.com/v16/photos/4/41821/199381/ftw-vi.jpg

Or a REALLY big one....
http://images2.fotki.com/v16/photos/4/41821/199381/scoobydoo-vi.jpg

maraudernkc
04-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Make sure you get one that is house broke.

My ex-wife is avalibale for adoption. :laugh:

2003 MIB
04-08-2005, 09:25 AM
Personally,

I've never met a mean pitbull ! The ones I've met were family owned and very friendly. The downside of course... is in Germany for example... you have to pay for liability insurance (mandatory) for a Pitbull because of its reputation. If the dog does bite someone... you are in for a ***** storm because of the reputation. I think statistically Chows and Shepherds lead the list of dogs that bite .. but...

Finally... a Pitbull is P O W E R F U L L. So if you have one that is at all wayward... like on a walk.... you are going for a "drag" if the dog decides that is where you are going.
I read somewhere a long time ago that Cockers bite more people than any other breed. Of course a "bite" from a cocker is not the same event as a "bite" from a Pit, Shepherd, Chow etc...
I too have never met a mean Pit...I think that's probably a statement that's more about the people I hang out with than the dogs. Good owners= good dogs.

wchain
04-08-2005, 09:46 AM
I read somewhere a long time ago that Cockers bite more people than any other breed. Of course a "bite" from a cocker is not the same event as a "bite" from a Pit, Shepherd, Chow etc...
I too have never met a mean Pit...I think that's probably a statement that's more about the people I hang out with than the dogs. Good owners= good dogs.

My Chow's never bitten anyone, and That includes when tyler was a baby, and he used to ride him, yank his ears, etc.

2003 MIB
04-08-2005, 09:52 AM
My Chow's never bitten anyone, and That includes when tyler was a baby, and he used to ride him, yank his ears, etc.
:) - His behavior is a reflection of how you raised him. One could easily conclude that you're a good dude, Wes.:beer:

mtnh
04-08-2005, 01:04 PM
I need a favor !!
My neighbor has a puppy he's giving away (FREE!).
It's a Dachshund, it's house broken,
and it's great with kids.

He's giving it away because his wife
says the dog 'stares' at her when she is undressing, and
that gives her the '###### Jeebies'. I think she is just weird !

If you're interested, or know someone who is, let me know.
Here's a picture of the dog.

MARAUDERCHICK
04-08-2005, 01:21 PM
You can always get a Shih-Tsu......they are super cool and have the best personality!!! I love mine.

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/1499Harley_Dog_078-thumb.jpg (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/5881/sort/1/cat/500/page/3)

You can even buy them little shirts and stuff to wear!!!

He weighs 12 pounds, doesn't eat too much and loves to play and cuddle up in your lap!!! Very loving dog!!!

Good Luck!!

Kathy

dwasson
04-08-2005, 02:08 PM
You can always get a Shih-Tsu......they are super cool and have the best personality!!! I love mine.

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/1499Harley_Dog_078-thumb.jpg (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/5881/sort/1/cat/500/page/3)

You can even buy them little shirts and stuff to wear!!!

He weighs 12 pounds, doesn't eat too much and loves to play and cuddle up in your lap!!! Very loving dog!!!

You'll meet a lot of guys that make your parents uncomfortable too.

Marauderman
04-08-2005, 02:37 PM
I vote you get a Boxer Brindle--we have a new one--2 yrs old, male and he is exactly as you originally described in your initial post of what you wanted and how to act and what to like--He is all of that--and his coat is short and looks are brown & black stripes like a tiger almost, with white chest and paws and tip tale---at 75-80 #'s, strong and very muscular, he plays with kids , can be made to welcome other pets , even cats and is always loving--yep--it's a done deal---thats what you need to investigate into--I have pics I can send you--PM l me your addy and you will see...good luck if its not too late.......Tom

dwasson
04-08-2005, 03:11 PM
I vote you get a Boxer Brindle--we have a new one--2 yrs old, male and he is exactly as you originally described in your initial post of what you wanted and how to act and what to like--He is all of that--and his coat is short and looks are brown & black stripes like a tiger almost, with white chest and paws and tip tale---at 75-80 #'s, strong and very muscular, he plays with kids , can be made to welcome other pets , even cats and is always loving--yep--it's a done deal---thats what you need to investigate into--I have pics I can send you--PM l me your addy and you will see...good luck if its not too late.......Tom

UPS will bring you a big box with airholes. Just sign, don't ask too many questions.

Marauderman
04-08-2005, 03:51 PM
UPS will bring you a big box with airholes. Just sign, don't ask too many questions.
I'm confused on your reply ..so I must ask 1 Q...WTH do you mean?

dwasson
04-08-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm confused on your reply ..so I must ask 1 Q...WTH do you mean?

If you were shipping him your boxer you would use UPS, right? And there would have to have airholes, right?

MENINBLK
04-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Russ,

Petco has adoption weekends for cats and dogs.
They are usually checked for most disorders, and come with papers
and an additional checkup a couple months after you've owned them.
Petco also has a program like most supermarket and grocery stores
so you can buy food and other goods at discounts and promotinoal prices.

The North Shore Animal League, in Port Washington, NY (Long Island)
is also an excellent source for pets in need of adoption.
http://member.nsalamerica.org

My wife and I adopted a puppy (Collie/Labrador mix) from them a long time ago.
They gave the puppy a full checkup, found us a vet that was near our home
for future checkups, and to have the dog spayed, and sent us home
with a goody bag with a few days worth of food, a water bowl, and all for a donation ($100).
The only incident we had with the puppy was it needed to be wormed,
which we found was pretty normal for most puppies,
and after she was treated for the worms, she lived a fun-filled healthy life with us for 10 years,
until we moved to a place that didn't allow pets, and our friends adopted her from us.

I will say that dogs and cats do make really good friends, but take into consideration with every breed of dog,
some of them are very active and need lots of excercise and space to run.
I would love to adopt a Jack Russell Terrier for my son to be best buds with,
but I don't have the energy required to devote to both an 8 year old, and an Energizer Puppy!!

We may end up adopting a Parrot or some other feathered pet that has a little more intelligence than a parakeet...

Mattsmerc
04-08-2005, 05:42 PM
try this http://minpinrescue.org/ good luck :) i think the dog picks you not the other way aroundhttp://imps.mgbeng.com/graphics/isabelle3_sm.jpg
<TABLE cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>
top (http://minpinrescue.org/dogs3.html#top)
</TD></TR><TR><TD>NJ</TD><!-- 7423 --><TD>http://imps.mgbeng.com/graphics/brutus10_sm.jpg http://imps.mgbeng.com/graphics/brutus11_sm.jpg
Brutus: 8 yr old black & tan male, neutered, docked tail and uncropped ears. 12", 16lb. Shots up-to-date. Owner give-up.
"Handsome older gentlemen seeking a home with lots of love, comfy pillows and lots and lots of treats!! My name is Brutus - my previous owner couldn't afford my vet care after I was hit by a car, I do have an open wound on my leg right now which my foster mom has to change bandage every two days. She is nice and I have lots and lots of fur kids to play with :)... I also have a butterfly fracture in my left front paw, the vet said we have to wait a few weeks to see how it heals..... I am crate trained and housebroken, I get along with cats and like my children 10 & up please..... I have natural ears, docked tail, I am tall and lean and still full of energy! So won't you consider adding an older man to your home :) If you have any questions please contact my foster mom at poobersgrl@aol.com (poobersgrl@aol.com). Thank you!"
Note: Brutus is located in Northern NJ - and we will not fly this boy.
IMPS Tag: 7423
ADD DATE: 07/22/04 If you wish to adopt, please fill out our IMPS Min Pin Adoption Application (http://www.minpinrescue.org/home.html)
If you have previously submitted an Application form, there is no need to re-apply.
For more details, contact Michele: poobersgrl@aol.com (poobersgrl@aol.com)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

dwasson
04-08-2005, 05:51 PM

That's not a very high bar. ;)

Let me establish my credentials. I have been a dog trainer, conducting classes with a local obedience club. I have been the national chair for Kuvasz Rescue for 12 years. I have personally rehomed over 90 Kuvasz and personally (with my wife's help) rehabilitated eleven Kuvasz with bite histories.

My dogs have never bitten anyone but I would never recommend that kids play with them. My dogs have never been around kids and don't really like them. If I had small kids I don't think that I would get a dog unless the kids knew their place.

Fully a third of the dogs I rescue (and from talking to other breed rescuers the number is similar) lose their homes because of children. Parents believe that their dog should not react to being hurt by children.

Toddlers are very hard on dogs. The average 18 month old kid would strangle you for a cookie. If your kid is under three, and you aren't in the room paying attention, keep the kid and dog separate. It takes no time at all for a kid to hurt a dog and for the dog to react like a dog. People who expect the dog to take abuse from kids and not react are living on luck. I see dogs being destroyed all the time because mom and dad thought that the nice dog would put up with abuse, until it went to far for the dog.

Since dogs can't talk, and don't have hands, they will use their teeth to discipline others in their social set. The typical "dog bite" to a toddler is not really a bite. In the field it's called a "defense slash." This is when the dog swings his head quickly with his mouth open. The teeth, usually the lower canines, hit the kid and tear the skin. From the dog's point of view this isn't a bite. It is the sort of thing that adult dogs do to puppies all the time. But a toddler's skin is thinner than a puppy's.

Always remember, dogs are animals and they do things for dog reasons.

AzMarauder
04-08-2005, 06:16 PM
My Chow's never bitten anyone, and That includes when tyler was a baby, and he used to ride him, yank his ears, etc.I had a sweet part chow part shepherd but she did bite a couple of people who came into the yard and acted aggressively (playing with my son but she didn't know that)

I've been bitten by a chow that attacked one of my Yorkshire Terriers. I guess my tackling the chow and bouncing it's head off the ground probably helped seal the deal. :rolleyes: Just didn't have much choice. It missed my Yorkie on the first pass.... it would have killed the Yorkie on the second. I just never gave it the chance.

1998 Statistics... State of Texas....
Top Biters .. Chow, Rottweiller, Pitbull, Shepherd

Netherlands reports Rottweiller as the top biter...

From a NAFA Web Site...

"The Centers for Disease Control study dog bite incidents, including the types of dogs most likely to bite. The breeds that the CDC considers highest risk are pit bulls, Rottweilers, German shepherds, Huskies, Alaskan malamutes, Doberman pinschers, Chows, Great Danes, St. Bernards and Akitas."

But in fairness most sites will indicate that the bigger dogs are more apt to cause serious injury when they bite .... but it is the treatment of the dog and how it is trained that bares the most responsibility for dogs that DO bite.

They even had an article about a Pomeranian killing a 6 week old child.

AzMarauder
04-08-2005, 06:22 PM
That's not a very high bar. ;)

Good post Dan. I couldn't agree more. One of my Yorkies .. Rufus... doesn't like children. Loves EVERY body... but he has an age restriction. One day a two year old grabbed Rufus' hair and wouldn't let go. We had to run to his aid and pry the kids hands out of Rufus' hair. So now Rufus has a thing about younger children. I don't know the exact age limit... but he definately shows when he isn't interested in a kid getting near him. I would say above about 6 years old he is fine with them.

MENINBLK
04-08-2005, 06:24 PM
...Parents believe that their dog should not react to being hurt by children...

Toddlers are very hard on dogs. The average 18 month old kid would strangle you for a cookie. If your kid is under three and you aren't in the room paying attention keep the kid and dog separate. It takes no time at all for a kid to hurt a dog and for the dog to react like a dog. People who expect the dog to take abuse from kids and not react are living on luck. I see dogs being destroyed all the time because mom and dad thought that the nice dog would put up with abuse, until it went to far for the dog.

Since dogs can't talk, and don't have hands, they will use their teeth to discipline others in their social set. The typical "dog bite" to a toddler is not really a bite. In the field it's called a "defense slash." This is when the dog swings his head quickly with his mouth open. The teeth, usually the lower canines, hit the kid and tear the skin. From the dog's point of view this isn't a bite. It is the sort of thing that adult dogs do to puppies all the time. But a toddler's skin is thinner than a puppy's.

Dan is right.

Growing up, we had a German Sheperd - 'King'.
He was professionally trained to be a Guard Dog, and we got him when he was 6 months old.
The trainer came to our house and sat down with me, my brother, and my sister, who was only 1 year old at the time.
He gave us a few tips on how to make the dog more comfortable in his new home,
and what not to do to startle him while he was getting accustomed to his new family.

When my sister started to walk, she would literally use King to cruise the house.
She would walk up to King, and King would stand next to her so she would not fall over.
My sister would grab, not one, but TWO FISTS FULL OF HAIR, and hold onto King while he walked her across the house.
When King got to the place where my sister wanted to be, she would let go of King, and King woud lie down and watch her.

It was amazing to watch this and see how much abuse a German Sheperd would accept from a small human.
Not a lot of dogs are, but some larger dogs, are very forgiving to small children,
and can grow very attached to small children and be very sensitive to their needs and security.

Back to the story...
This went on until King could see her walking on her own.
She tried to grab onto him one day, and King turned around, snapped at her, and walked away.
My sister was scared enough to plop down on her butt and start crying.
Just about any parent, who had absolutely no understanding of an animal, would have probably gotten rid of King.
My Mother and I saw it happen to my sister more than once, and my mother had to scold my sister to teach her to leave King alone.
Eventually she got better at walking, and opening cabinets, and the two became best buds,
when my sister found out that King would follow her around the house, as long as she held the Milk Bones box in her hands! LOL

dwasson
04-08-2005, 06:54 PM
One of my Yorkies .. Rufus... doesn't like children. Loves EVERY body... but he has an age restriction.

That is funny. My mother had a Yorkie that didn't like men. He bit every man in the family at least once. He got me twice. Donny, the Yorkie, lived to be seventeen. The last seven years were just to spite me. But, my mom loved him and they were good together, so I never pointed at him and told my dogs to "get the squirrel!"

Anyway, when my cousin had her first baby, Donny would defend the baby against her father. Then my cousin would come over and praise Donny for protecting the baby. By the time the baby was two, if she cried, Donny would run over and bite her father.

Odd little dog.

rayjay
04-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Insurance is a good point. Some breeds are not even insurable. Some municipalities have tried to outright ban certain breeds.

AzMarauder
04-09-2005, 05:25 PM
By the time the baby was two, if she cried, Donny would run over and bite her father.

Odd little dog.With BIG COJONES !
:D

JerseyVics
04-09-2005, 06:16 PM
I am no closer now to knowing what I want than when I started the thread.

but thank you all for the great ideas, I learned a lot about dogs!

--Russ

PS. you can still keep them coming!

B.C. Bake
04-09-2005, 09:12 PM
I got a black lab from the dog pound, "Yes" she is work but well worth it:snoopy: I've had her 2yrs and tomorrow I'm going down to the pound to look for anouther one. I think I can handle one more":coffee:the wife want's a white one"so do I. Anyway check out thouse shelters but you have to get them before they kill them:gunfire: so chop chop, oh yea, mixed breeds are real smart and can be real easy to care for:)

JerseyVics
04-14-2005, 09:41 PM
this pup is really growing on me: http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4182524&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=425f41e6306376b4-app2&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

American Staffordshire Terrier

--Russ

dwasson
04-15-2005, 07:52 AM
Staffies are great dogs but they can be tenacious. Find a good group obedience class and take him there as soon as he has his shots. Puppy class is fun and it get the dog accustomed to following commands. Don't think that you can teach your dog at home. Almost every dog I rehome in my rescue was taught at home. I have rehomed 2 dogs that had attended an obedience class. It's about commitment. And just because your dog behaves at home does not mean that he is trained. He has to respond properly when there are distractions around.

A dog only has to know six commands to be a good dog.

Sit
Down
Stay
Come
Off
Settle Down

If your dog responds to those six commands he will be easy to live with.

MarauderMark
04-15-2005, 08:00 AM
Just what i've allways wanted a dog that looks like me..:rofl: Great pic!:up:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61 01

A dog only has to know six commands to be a good dog.

Sit
Down
Stay
Come
Off
Settle Down

and 1 more "Get em"!!!

rayjay
04-15-2005, 08:04 AM
Just what i've allways wanted a dog that looks like me..:rofl: Great pic!:up:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=61 01

and 1 more "Get em"!!!Thats straight out of the Twilight Zone...