PDA

View Full Version : Supercharging and State Emmissions Tests

ghostship55
04-08-2005, 08:07 PM
Anyone know if supercharing adversly affects the stupid State emmissions tests that we have to suffer through? Here in Maryland they are tough. Would running a co-2 system with a supercharger keep things cooler to pass the "sniffer"? We only have to woory every two years. 'ship55

Jerry Barnes
04-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Ours passes the sniffer test with no problem, even in California. We have left all of the emissions equipment intacted and functioning. Now, getting that dog gone CARB certification is a pain in the a$$, very time consuming and costly. We will get there some day. It's on our long list of "To Do's".

Thanks

Jerry

BillyGman
04-09-2005, 12:33 AM
Ours passes the sniffer test with no problem, even in California. We have left all of the emissions equipment intacted and functioning.

JerryYep...as one of the few Trilogy customers who performed the supercharger installation himself, I can vouch for what Jerry has stated above. All the factory stock emmisions equipment stays in use, and intact with the Trilogy Supercharger kit. All the vacume lines, relays, and the EGR tube, & valve are all left intact and hook-up directly into the system. The kit was very well thought out, and well engineered. it's completely Marauder specific. This is no generic, or universal kit by any stretch of the imagination.

fastblackmerc
04-09-2005, 05:46 AM
Yep...as one of the few Trilogy customers who performed the supercharger installation himself, I can vouch for what Jerry has stated above. All the factory stock emmisions equipment stays in use, and intact with the Trilogy Supercharger kit. All the vacume lines, relays, and the EGR tube, & valve are all left intact and hook-up directly into the system. The kit was very well thought out, and well engineered. it's completely Marauder specific. This is no generic, or universal kit by any stretch of the imagination.
How do they check for emmisions in MD? Here in NC, '95 and newer vechicles are checked by reading the computer to see if there are any codes and a visual check to see if everything is connected and the cats are in place. No more probe up the tailpipe! :banana:

Bradley G
04-09-2005, 06:30 AM
No more probe up the tailpipe!(QUOTE) :banana:Can you promise me that,the next time I go see the doc!:help:
Bradley G

Dennis Reinhart
04-09-2005, 07:35 AM
Keths car also got by out in CA of course if they get nit picky and do a visual that might be a hard to explain

Captain Steve
04-09-2005, 09:22 AM
How do they check for emmisions in MD? Here in NC, '95 and newer vechicles are checked by reading the computer to see if there are any codes and a visual check to see if everything is connected and the cats are in place. No more probe up the tailpipe! :banana:Pfft, you have it easy. In Massachusetts they throw ya on a dyno, stick a probe up the pipe, and run the car up to 65mph under load. The tech has to accelerate at a certain pace to match the speed the emissions computer asks for.

dwasson
04-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Anyone know if supercharing adversly affects the stupid State emmissions tests that we have to suffer through? Here in Maryland they are tough. Would running a co-2 system with a supercharger keep things cooler to pass the "sniffer"? We only have to woory every two years. 'ship55

I used to sell the BAR 84 (old style) and BAR 90 (new style) emissions analyzers for Allen Testproducts. I learned a little about how the tailpipe test works.

Supercharging will raise the amount of emissions from an engine. If it means that you can not pass an emission test depends on how close to the limit you were before. The raw amount of emissions depends on how much fuel goes through the engine and how efficiently it is burned. So pushing more air through the engine with the supercharger inherently brings more fuel with it (to maintain the stoichiometric ratio). This means that more fuel goes through the engine per mile.

One extension of this is seen in how the US EPA calculates fuel economy. When the car is going through the EPA emissions test the exhaust is run into a large (very large) clear plastic bag. After the test, the bag is weighted and the amount of fuel burned is calculated from that weight. Only a bureaucrat would think like that.

BillyGman
04-09-2005, 01:07 PM
The quote below was taken from "03BlkMM" from another thread. I liked his post so much, and found it so accurate, that I just had to put it here in this thread.......... "I disagree, when it comes to the emissions test there should be zero difference between stock and supercharged. The car is not run at WOT at any point during the emissions test. At a steady state cruise speed or idle the engine is still operating under vac and the SC is bypassed and not making any boost. No aditional fuel is needed for this type of situation. The engine should have the same emissions whether SC'd or NA under these circumstances. Now that doesn't take into account the many other mods that most SC'd cars have. But with just the SC the emmisions should be the same."<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

ghostship55
04-09-2005, 02:01 PM
They check using codes. The Nanny-ites up here :mad: are such a PITA, (Pains in the arsehole) that they would check and fail the car, without a waiver, :( if an errant code did come up.
How do they check for emmisions in MD? Here in NC, '95 and newer vechicles are checked by reading the computer to see if there are any codes and a visual check to see if everything is connected and the cats are in place. No more probe up the tailpipe! :banana:

DEFYANT
04-09-2005, 06:28 PM
In MD, no codes = you pass the test. If your car is older, then they run it on the rollers w/ the snifer up ur tailpipe

dwasson
04-09-2005, 10:01 PM
In MD who drives the car on the dyno? You can help yourself by accelerating slowly and not letting the throttle close too quickly.

RF Overlord
04-10-2005, 07:23 AM
In Massachusetts they throw ya on a dyno, stick a probe up the pipe, and run the car up to 65mph under load.

That's only for OBD-I cars and older. OBD-II cars just get the codes read by the emissions inspector. No codes...you pass.

rayjay
04-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Pfft, you have it easy. In Massachusetts they throw ya on a dyno, stick a probe up the pipe, and run the car up to 65mph under load. The tech has to accelerate at a certain pace to match the speed the emissions computer asks for.The more I read about MA laws, the more I'm convinced the state was placed on the wrong coast.

DEFYANT
04-10-2005, 10:45 AM
In MD who drives the car on the dyno? You can help yourself by accelerating slowly and not letting the throttle close too quickly.
A state employee. You pull into the bay and get out. They do the rest.

blackf0rk
04-10-2005, 01:44 PM
I Wisconsin, you pull into the bay, you get out, they do the test. The test has been done several different ways here in WI, and on my car. One time, they plugged it into th OBD][ port and said I could go - the other time they dyno'd it in line with the computer's throttle position thing. This of course was when I had my 02 Impala. Haven't gone with the 'rauder yet.

I dunno the state laws on emissions too well...

stevengerard
04-11-2005, 09:16 PM
I have DR's kit and Kook's all emmissions stuff is still on the car. Of course in Chicago all I'd have to do is slip a $20 to someone and it would pass.

Paul T. Casey
04-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Any of the Mass folks who are having trouble, pm me. I have a connection. If your car is right (not a smoker, or unsafe) should be able to assist.

Sactown
04-12-2005, 12:01 PM
Keths car also got by out in CA of course if they get nit picky and do a visual that might be a hard to explain You've definitely got to have a buddy who will "miss" the S/C here in CA.

Joe Walsh
04-12-2005, 12:02 PM
A state employee. You pull into the bay and get out. They do the rest.

Yeah 'they' sure do....Last time I took my 84 Mustang GT (Turbo 4 cyl w/5 speed) for emmisions, the 'tech' could not shift the manual transmission smoothly enough nor modulate the throttle properly without getting into boost. He tried TWICE to follow the computer driving scenario/curve and failed, so the computer aborted the test.
Finally his supervisor jumps in my Mustang and runs a "Quick Test" which is a much shorter dyno test and I pass.
OBD II cars are so much easier because they just plug into the car's computer port....No one driving your car on a dyno.