PDA

View Full Version : Build Sheets?

Shaft333
04-09-2005, 09:11 AM
Just wondering, do they still stuff build sheets away somewhere in modern cars?
Is there something hiding away stuffed in the interior?

carfixer
04-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Just wondering, do they still stuff build sheets away somewhere in modern cars?
Is there something hiding away stuffed in the interior?

I've been in just about every aspect of modern Ford/Lincoln/Mercury cars and have not seen a build sheet anywhere. With the automation and computerization of the build process, I don't think paper build sheets are used anymore. Someone that works at the factory may better tell you but I think a bar code system is used at the factory.

There is something accessible by dealer personnel called HVBOM (Historical Vehicle Bill of Materials). It is VIN specific and give the part # of many of the items that specific car was built with.

Every once in a while, we find something left behind by the factory. Between the body and frame of a Navigator, I found a Michigan newspaper with the same build date of the truck, pretty cool.

MI2QWK4U
04-09-2005, 01:17 PM
If i remember right, at the st. thomas assembly plant tour, they menioned how the cars were built and how the workers knew what to install... Basically, there is a transponder or something that moves down the line with the frame, as it approaches a work station, it displays what the car is going to be, and what part at that station to install. Remember, they made the crown vic, crown vic sport, crown vic police, crown vic extended taxi, marquis models, and the marauder. For example, they know what radio goes in the car, what floor mats, wheels, etc. Each car was planned out in advance in the computer, and the transponder is basically the build sheet. Hope that helps.

torinodan
04-10-2005, 06:23 AM
Humm, all I've found were some bread bag ties. Still looking for rubber bands.

Canadasvt
07-18-2006, 11:39 AM
We have build sheets at Oakville Assembly Complex where the Freestar/Monterey is built. Yes, the transponder is there which comunicates to all the computer screens at the work stations, but there are still paper build sheets taped to the outside of the vehicles. These sheets are taken off and dumped into the garbage right after wheel install.
I think if you do a search at www.blueovalforums.com (http://www.blueovalforums.com) there is someone on there that can assist you with a build sheet, but the sheet just has a bunch of numbers and letters on it.

Bluerauder
07-18-2006, 01:06 PM
We have build sheets at Oakville Assembly Complex where the Freestar/Monterey is built. Yes, the transponder is there which comunicates to all the computer screens at the work stations, but there are still paper build sheets taped to the outside of the vehicles. These sheets are taken off and dumped into the garbage right after wheel install.
Last year when the MV III Group took the tour of the Rouge Plant (F-150s), we could see the build sheets attached to the vehicle. In fact, I recall three sheets per vehicle. One taped to the open hood, one on the floor inside the cab (before carpet and seat installation) and one on the rear of the cab.

While I couldn't decipher the sheet codes from the platform above the floor, I did notice that every 25th vehicle was a Lincoln Mark LT. The F-150 sheets were black lettering on white sheets The Lincolns were white lettering on black sheets.

So, the Rouge was still using build sheets as of last August 2005. If one is left in there, its probably under the carpet. The other two are exterior and probably simply discarded.

MM2004
07-18-2006, 01:18 PM
KTP uses the build sheets as well.

STLR FN
07-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Build sheets used at MTP.

Bigdogjim
07-19-2006, 06:55 PM
They use to call 'em line setting tickets!

04MRADR
07-26-2006, 05:27 PM
Hey Shaft 333! I went as far as writing the President of Mercury for this. They sent me a beautiful letter detailing the building of my 04 Marauder and the equipment it had but no build sheet. They advised they couldn't get me one. No indication they don't actaully exist or not. I watch the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction on the Speed Channel and they always make a big deal about the Build Sheet. When I reported this months ago one of the members suggested if you look up under the car in front of the trunk it may be taped up there. I've been under my Big M and couldn't find it.

wsmylie
07-26-2006, 08:22 PM
Build sheet, line ticket, Auto-Tel, broadcast sheet (any of you guys remember GM's Fisher "body drop" sheets?). No matter what they call em, it appears that they usually just dump them now days (as Canadasvt said) instead of stuffing it into some hidden spot on the finished product. Kind of a shame.... V.I.N. changing, car theft badguys would ocassionally miss getting rid of one or two well hidden ones in the past. :D

jgc61sr2002
07-27-2006, 06:08 AM
I recovered several stolen / altered vin vehicles because of the build sheet.:D