PDA

View Full Version : engine cleaner?

69cobra
04-11-2005, 02:29 PM
hi, anyone know of a good cleaner to use on the aluminum air intake? i've had lizards living in my engine compartment and crapped all over it, thanks (florida)
i've tried several cleaners without much luck

Todd
04-11-2005, 02:37 PM
hi, anyone know of a good cleaner to use on the aluminum air intake? i've had lizards living in my engine compartment and crapped all over it, thanks (florida)
i've tried several cleaners without much luck

I use griots garage engine cleaner. It's bio degradeable (just in case it matters) and works well. They also have a engine shine spray that is like a clear coat for the engine bay. It doesnt dry out and crack like some other products I have used.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=11156

You can also buy it by the gallon. Just remember, you have to buy the sprayer also. None of their spray on products come with the sprayer....

They have a great warranty.. I had their boars hair car washing brush (best thing since sliced bread) and the hairs started to fall out, I sent it back after 2 years for a free replacement.

Slowpoke
04-11-2005, 02:40 PM
I, for one, would like to see some pictures of the Lizard crap. I mean, it's not like I have a fetish for excrement, but I am trying to figure out if it's black, green, dark green, or dark blue. With regard to what cleaner would work the best, I have not a clue. And you know... as soon as you clean the crap off the intakes, some damn lizard is just going to crap on them again. How about electrifying the car when it's parked so that as soon as a lizard touches the exterior he gets zapped. That'll keep those damn lizards away from your pride and joy. Either way, please keep me posted - this is something I need to know more about.

MaLo03
04-11-2005, 03:00 PM
I, for one, would like to see some pictures of the Lizard crap. I mean, it's not like I have a fetish for excrement, but I am trying to figure out if it's black, green, dark green, or dark blue. With regard to what cleaner would work the best, I have not a clue. And you know... as soon as you clean the crap off the intakes, some damn lizard is just going to crap on them again. How about electrifying the car when it's parked so that as soon as a lizard touches the exterior he gets zapped. That'll keep those damn lizards away from your pride and joy. Either way, please keep me posted - this is something I need to know more about.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA......LMAO. Now, in regard to engine cleaning,
I use a small towel with Simple Green and water and wipe away, then just plain water about once or twice a month

Tallboy
04-11-2005, 03:32 PM
I mean, it's not like I have a fetish for excrement, but I am trying to figure out if it's black, green, dark green, or dark blue. With regard to what cleaner would work the best, I have not a clue. So, Poke, what're you trying to say?

He should go sit by the bay, and make things out of clay? He just may!

Rider90
04-11-2005, 03:34 PM
So, what're you saying, Poke?

He should go sit by the bay, and make things out of clay? He just may!
You forgot "Whatta ya say?"

I think.

rayjay
04-11-2005, 03:45 PM
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA......LMAO. Now, in regard to engine cleaning,
I use a small towel with Simple Green and water and wipe away, then just plain water about once or twice a month
Can I spray the whole engine with Simple Green and hose off? The engine will be cold of course. I have never seen an engine bay get this dirty in the winter. The total amount of dirt I cleaned off my ZX3 engine in four years doesn't equal how dirty my MM engine bay is now.

Tallboy
04-11-2005, 03:46 PM
You forgot "Whatta ya say?"

I think.
Nice catch. You got some rep points for that one.:)

King Fubar
04-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Dr. Seuss is in da house

fastblackmerc
04-11-2005, 05:45 PM
Can I spray the whole engine with Simple Green and hose off? The engine will be cold of course. I have never seen an engine bay get this dirty in the winter. The total amount of dirt I cleaned off my ZX3 engine in four years doesn't equal how dirty my MM engine bay is now.
Just make sure you read the cautions on what ever cleaner you use to clean your aluminium engine. Some cleaners will "eat" the aluminium.

stevengerard
04-11-2005, 05:49 PM
call Geico! They will know.

rayjay
04-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Just make sure you read the cautions on what ever cleaner you use to clean your aluminium engine. Some cleaners will "eat" the aluminium.
I think I read here somewhere that Simple Green was ok. Just wanted reassurance. I could just use the steam cleaner at work. I have the GT coil covers, but won't put them on with the mess thats under the hood. I've got time. Our paved road is still hidden under sand/stone dust/gravel used for traction in the winter here. There is no sense in even washing the :censor: car.

Marauder2005
04-11-2005, 06:37 PM
I use Simple Green works well in most situations...

jgc61sr2002
04-11-2005, 06:47 PM
69Cobra - Welcome to the Mercury Marauder site. :D With todays electronics I wouldn't use too much water under the hood.

dwasson
04-11-2005, 07:05 PM

And what color trim works best with Lizard crap?

MaLo03
04-12-2005, 06:35 PM
NO....I use a bucket with 5 part warm water and 1 part Simple Green, use a small towel to clean up then a bucket of plain warm water a 2nd time around.

jabird56
04-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Over the years, I have sprayed Simply Green in my engine compartments with numerous vehicles and then using the "spray" mode with the water hose have rinsed the entire compartments with no problems. I have the engine warm when I spray the Green on and I let it sit and soak until the engine is cold before rinsing.

MENINBLK
04-12-2005, 07:50 PM
69Cobra - Welcome to the Mercury Marauder site. :D With todays electronics I wouldn't use too much water under the hood.

Water won't hurt anything.
If water gets inside something then it was broken to begin with.

I have a Karcher pressure washer that hooks up to my garden hose.
It puts out 1500 psi COLD WATER, and has a line in for detergent.
I use the pressure washer with moderate pressure on a COLD ENGINE to wash out the whole
underside of the hooded area, engine, firewall, fenders, radiator support, and radiators too.
I even have an attachment for under the car and under the fenders.
All I use is plain water, no detergent. The pressure alone washes off the grease and oily residue.
Its also great for washing off all of the salt residue from the winter too!
So far I haven't had any problem with water getting into anything.

All of the connectors under the hood, with the exception of the battery terminals are weatherproof now.
So a little water spray shouldn't hurt anything.

04funmerc
04-12-2005, 08:01 PM
PLEASE wear a Mask, the wicked witch may be under the s*** and she melts with water:D :D

Simple green works for me, even if it takes two apps. Just as with other cleaners RINSE THOURLY......

JIM

Embassy
04-13-2005, 09:18 AM
Here's (http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/inf-engine.html) a couple of good tips.

I do cover up the alternator with foil. Everything else should be ok.

Be sure to use towels, aided in reach by a flathead screwdriver, to soak up the water that collects around the fuel injectors.

I just detailed the engine on Friday for meet. Here's (http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/showmedia.php?id=194851) a pic.

rayjay
04-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks guys. I'll use a combination of everyones advice.

Ross
04-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Gee, how I long for the old days of spraying a can of Gunk Foam Engine Cleaner on the engine of my old cars! Of course, in those days my engine wasn't as pretty as it is now.