PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Brake and Brake jobs...

tvdone
04-18-2005, 06:41 PM
I had my local ford dealer do front and rear brakes this past week. The emergency brake also had developed some play but I didn't mention it. The brakes are now excellent but the emergency brake seems at least the same and maybe even worse. Is it normal to adjust the emergency brake when replacing all four brakes? Did this place make a mistake (by not adjusting the emergency brake) or is the emergency brake completely separate and should not be involved in a four-wheel brake job? I know some of you out there work at ford service locations so I was wondering if you could comment and let me know if I should be annoyed or if I made a mistake and should have asked them to adjust the emergency brake. Thanks for any thoughts.

John T.

RoyLPita
04-19-2005, 03:51 AM
The e-brake is a seperate setup in the back. It is located behind the axle shaft hubs. It is accessed when the rear rotors are removed.

If you are still in base warranty, have the dealer take care of this adjustment. If not, find out how much the place that did your brakes will charge.

Shaft333
04-19-2005, 05:34 AM
That's the mechanism that looks like a small drum brake behind the discs, right?

Neat.

So I suppose that using the parking brake does not adjustment of the rear calipers then?

wchain
04-19-2005, 07:15 AM
That's the mechanism that looks like a small drum brake behind the discs, right?

Neat.

So I suppose that using the parking brake does not adjustment of the rear calipers then?

Correct. Parking brake shoes theoretically don't "wear" unless you drive with them on. I see tons of Chevrolet Silverados with problems with the rear parking brake shoes, Either way out of adjustment or the rear parking brake shoes are disintergrated. It only take a few moments to adjust them and you're good to go.