PDA

View Full Version : G M losses mount

Bobby Clobber
04-19-2005, 11:44 AM
Analysts predict G M could lose $2600+ per vehicle it produces this year.Hard to believe the Aztec, The Bruce(A)Valance,the Vibe(ration) and all those other Chevy SS rigs can't turn that train wreck around.

Can't wait to see how FORD responds ,Zepher, awesome, more "M" cars, can't wait,

something functional with a bit of git up and go.............. Priceless. :puke:

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0504/19/A01-155271.htm

Joe Walsh
04-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Yeah, I was just reading a similar article about this in the Baltimore Sun Newspaper.
They said:"GM has become essentially a giant health care provider that also makes some cars...
It's pretty astounding, GM only has about 160,000 employees, but something like over 1 million people--retirees, retirees' families--are covered under its social umbrella."
"The math at General Motors just doesn't make sense. Basically, they sell cars for less than it costs to make them. They like to blame the legacy of health care and pension costs, but remember, the Japanese who make cars in this country have to pay health care and pension costs, too."
"One problem is that executive compensation is way too high. And the way the company is managed, it is terribly closed and sensitive to outside criticism.
It is very bureaucratic and slow to move, not very nimble at spotting a new market opportunity and responding to it."

GM will close the local Breuning Highway Van/Truck plant later this year... :(

dwasson
04-19-2005, 03:55 PM
I have faith that Ford can lose more money than that.

Silver_04
04-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Dear GM: Combine the profitable car lines from Buick and Pontiac into a new division called Bontiac. That'll save millions in tooling dollars becasue it'll be very easy to change a P into a B. Then dump GMC and go ahead and give Saturn the chop too. And for goodness sakes, learn how to make a minivan.

Vortex
04-19-2005, 05:22 PM
I went to the Dallas car show last weekend and with the exception of the new Mustang and the 300c/Charger displays, the rest of the American cars areas looked like a ghosttown (crickets chiping ect..) I thought Lutz was going to help GM but he's been a bust. I like the new GTO (Im in the minority I know) but GM and Ford have to get away from the v6 FWD (or AWD) cars asap! They all suck, including all the new 500 (+clones) and Mazda 6 clones like the Zephyr and the Ford and Merc versions. I saw more folks looking at Subarus and Mitsubishis for gods sake. Danger Will Robinson! :cheesed:

dwasson
04-19-2005, 05:27 PM
A lot of you guys say that the import cars aren't as good as the US cars but the public disagrees. And as long as the Big 3s response to the imports is to say that import buyers are wrong, the US car industry is doomed. Build cars that the public wants to buy. Whether you think that the public is wrong isn't an issue. The buyer is NEVER wrong.

rookie1
04-20-2005, 05:21 AM
They like to blame the legacy of health care and pension costs, but remember, the Japanese who make cars in this country have to pay health care and pension costs, too."

No flames intended but this statement is ridiculous. No foreign car manufacturer assembling vehicles here has been here long enough to even approach the legacy costs of domestic producers. Not to mention the fact they are all enjoying 20 year property tax breaks.

Joe Walsh
04-20-2005, 06:43 AM
No flames intended but this statement is ridiculous. No foreign car manufacturer assembling vehicles here has been here long enough to even approach the legacy costs of domestic producers. Not to mention the fact they are all enjoying 20 year property tax breaks.

No flame taken, that's a quote from an analyst in the newspaper article and I was thinking the same thing.