PDA

View Full Version : One Lap of America starts Friday

N40GL
04-25-2005, 08:16 AM
I just thought I'd remind you that the "Cannonball One Lap of America" starts Friday at Tire Rack in South Bend, Indiana. I've attached the schedule and will try to be there.

Of particular note to Marauder fans is the Ford entry - a heavily modified Crown Vic P71 incorporating many parts that have started their lives in our Marauders. Many of us met the drivers last year at the Ford Proving Grounds open house.

It might be fun to watch the skidpad work on Saturday.

Mark

(P.S. I'll post a link to this on Windy City, Motor City, Circle City, Buckeye and Northeast, since the route goes through these territories)

(P.P.S. Why are the Indiana Marauders called "Circle City"? Is it because of the beltway around it? Heck, every city has a beltway - it must be something else---?)

gpfarrell
04-25-2005, 10:10 AM
Those boys have a long ride ahead of them. I ran that event in '99 & '00... its incredible.

If you're within driving distance of any of the tracks, I'd encourage you to go see the event. You'll see creative engineering like you've never imagined and pretty sharp drivers trying to combine a series of sprint races with a marathon drive.

I'll be at BeaveRun in Southwestern Pennsylvania on Sunday watching... if you can go see it... its really like nothing else!

Sactown
04-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Seems like a fun thing to check out but after looking at the course map the event title is a bit misleading ... how about a 1/10 lap of America?

N40GL
04-26-2005, 07:52 AM
I've discovered that there is a mini-convoy forming to head to Tire Rack from Illinois Saturday morning *early*, via I-90. Anyone want to join? Plans are to leave from Northern Lake County around 0500 (or, 'oh-dark-hundred') and get to Tire Rack around 0730, in time for breakfast somewhere there. Route is via I-90. After that, to Tire Rack. Some of the convoy are going down to Indy to see the One Lap folks challenge IRP in the first event.

We can coordinate this on those FRS radios if you want that morning, or just make it ad-hoc.

Any takers?

ex00p71
04-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Were in Lake county are you guys meeting up, and wouldn't it 5 o'clock Sunday morning, not Saturday?

N40GL
04-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Were in Lake county are you guys meeting up, and wouldn't it 5 o'clock Sunday morning, not Saturday?

I am not yet committed to driving to Indy to see IRP, but I want to see the Tire Rack Skidpad work and take pictures, and the schedule says that's Saturday morning. I think Saturday will be a better picture day from a time-constraint-perspective.

ex00p71
04-26-2005, 07:04 PM
Your right, it is Saturday, Im still not sure were you guys are meeting up though, thats the part I really need to know.

N40GL
04-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Your right, it is Saturday, Im still not sure were you guys are meeting up though, thats the part I really need to know.

A couple of ideas come to mind -

1. Somewhere around Northbrook, where I-94 and IL-41 merge; around 0500.

2. That BP station right before you get on the Indiana Tollway on the south side (right about where your coffee will need offloading if you started drinking it in Northbrook) between 0545 and 0615.

Whaddya think?

ex00p71
04-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Well I have no idea were that BP station is, How about the O'Hare Oasis, that should be a pretty central location.

N40GL
04-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Well I have no idea were that BP station is, How about the O'Hare Oasis, that should be a pretty central location.

Fine with me - can we meet there at 0500? It is a two-plus hour drive to South Bend.

ex00p71
04-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Sure, That sound ok with everyone else.

N40GL
04-30-2005, 08:07 PM
I just put a bunch of pictures in the Gallery that I took this morning at Tire Rack. However, this one is my favorite.

Bradley G
04-30-2005, 08:21 PM
No details ?:depress:

Bradley G

I just put a bunch of pictures in the Gallery that I took this morning at Tire Rack. However, this one is my favorite.

JerseyVics
05-01-2005, 08:13 AM
details for:

1st event: [ 8th overall, 2nd in class ] http://onelapofamerica.com/History/2005/results/EVENT01.HTM

2nd event: [ 24th overall, 7th in class ] http://onelapofamerica.com/History/2005/results/EVENT02.HTM

3rd event: [ 22nd overall, 4th in class ] http://onelapofamerica.com/History/2005/results/EVENT03.HTM

that SRT-8 is thoroughly kicking our ass! someone flatten their tires...

--Russ

gpfarrell
05-02-2005, 06:15 AM
What a Rocket!

I watched the Crown Vic run at BeaveRun yesterday. I missed the first event there, where evidently they had some glitch that kept the car from doing what it could.

Watching it run the second time though... wow! There's some seriously fast stuff entered in this thing, and even in that company that white Ford would have made us all proud.

To hear the supercharger scream down the straightaway... and I was standing almost 1/2 mile away!... anyhow... it looked cartoon-character fast.

They're one slot ahead of a CTS-V in the overall standings... the SRT-8 is quite a package though. The one entered has a body kit on it... I think to accomodate wider wheels/tires. It also has a prototype Charger R/T suspension under it... a firmer set-up than the SRT-8 would get. It's a first class, high-buck effort.

Anyhow, the Crown Vic looks real sweet. I'm going to check out Crownvic.net or whatever to learn more about it. Seriously, seriously fast!

N40GL
05-02-2005, 07:36 AM
If you want to watch this race "live", www.catalystracingteam.com has streaming video from their Dodge Magnum.

Bradley G
05-02-2005, 07:58 AM
linky no play?:(

Bradley G

If you want to watch this race "live", www.catalystracingteam.com (http://www.catalystracingteam.com/) has streaming video from their Dodge Magnum.

N40GL
05-02-2005, 08:04 AM
linky no play?:(

Bradley G

Bradley,

It will when they are moving; not when parked. I watched the run to Lancaster yesterday (in the rain).

Bradley G
05-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Got it!
thanks Mark
Bradley G

Bradley,

It will when they are moving; not when parked. I watched the run to Lancaster yesterday (in the rain).

N40GL
05-03-2005, 12:18 PM
I think I finally fixed this. Here are my pictures from Stage #2, until the Gallery gets fixed.

http://home.comcast.net/~n4ogl/OLOA.htm

(PM me if this goes awry - I'm still trying to figure out html-writing)

Embassy
05-03-2005, 09:24 PM
Is anyone attending the events this weekend in South Bend, IN?

Details. (http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=onelap&Number=890142&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=365&fpart=1&vc=1)

I might be making the drive up to see the Vic. I'd enjoy meeting some MM.net members.