PDA

View Full Version : Fusion

dwasson
04-26-2005, 11:48 AM
I passed a parade of three Ford Fusions on Southfield today. They looked better in person than the pictures. They definately won't make anyone's ugly car list, and from some angles they look pretty good.

Mike Poore
04-28-2005, 02:07 PM
I passed a parade of three Ford Fusions on Southfield today. They looked better in person than the pictures. They definately won't make anyone's ugly car list, and from some angles they look pretty good.Dan, after you posted this I went to the Ford website to see the "thing". They wanted me to build/order one and take delivery whenever they got 'round to selling them. No, thanks, and I clicked out of the site. Guess what? The bastages are spamming me, and I've gotten two emails from 'em already. Told me they were happy I'm interested in the car. ...NOT! :shot:

Bluerauder
06-08-2005, 04:27 PM
Dan, after you posted this I went to the Ford website to see the "thing".
The S.O.B. picked up one of the new 2006 Ford Fusion fold-out brochures today at the local dealer. He thinks it is based around the Mazda 3 :confused:

It seems a little small for my taste although it is billed as a mid-size car. But, the all black one with the medium grey interior and the 3-bar silver grill ain't bad to look at. :D Standard power is the 2.3 L DOHC I-4 with 160 HP and 150 lb-ft of TQ and a 5 speed automatic or manual transaxle. Optional power is the 3.0 L DOHC V6 with 210 HP and 200 lb-ft TQ. :up: Optional 6 speed automatic transaxle.

Brochure says that "Both engines feature intake Variable Cam Timing (iVCT) for powerful low end torque and responsive mid-range passing speed." First time that I have heard of this........ :dunno:

rayjay
06-08-2005, 06:36 PM
The S.O.B. picked up one of the new 2006 Ford Fusion fold-out brochures today at the local dealer. He thinks it is based around the Mazda 3 :confused:

It seems a little small for my taste although it is billed as a mid-size car. But, the all black one with the medium grey interior and the 3-bar silver grill ain't bad to look at. :D Standard power is the 2.3 L DOHC I-4 with 160 HP and 150 lb-ft of TQ and a 5 speed automatic or manual transaxle. Optional power is the 3.0 L DOHC V6 with 210 HP and 200 lb-ft TQ. :up: Optional 6 speed automatic transaxle.

Brochure says that "Both engines feature intake Variable Cam Timing (iVCT) for powerful low end torque and responsive mid-range passing speed." First time that I have heard of this........ :dunno:
I read this too. My wifes Contour has the VCT. Ford used that setup instead of a EGR setup. FWIW, the 2.3 I4 has been in the Focus for a while now. There are quite a few aftermarket go fast parts available for it.

rocknrod
06-08-2005, 06:49 PM
http://us.autos1.yimg.com/img.autos.yahoo.com/aic/ford_fusion_i4s_2006_385x192.j pg

That was a difficult picture to find.
http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/ford_fusion_v6sel_2006/16933/style_overview.html;_ylt=AjXKx AEd8vM1FLGAfqXvqLF6DMgF
Some info on it.

bigslim
06-08-2005, 09:26 PM

It is based on the Mazda 6. The 6 is a decent driving car.

metroplex
06-09-2005, 04:08 AM

Isn't that something similar to the 3V 4.6/5.4?

Marauder386
06-09-2005, 04:23 AM
This sounds to me like another one from Ford to fill the nitch that started with the Tempo GL/LX/GLS...Now, if I could only find a '92 one with the GLS package on the 5 speed OD....

:cool:

dwasson
06-09-2005, 09:26 AM
Isn't that something similar to the 3V 4.6/5.4?
Ford showed an engine with variable valve timing a few years ago. This may be that system. What that motor had was cam lobes that were different profile from front to rear. As the rpm and load changed, oil pressure would move the camshaft forward or backward so that the follower/lifter would ride on a different part of the cam.

Honda had a system that used a three fingered cam follower. The center finger was independant of the outer fingers. At low speeds the shorter, center finger would track the cam profile. As speeds increased, the spring tension on the center finger would be overcome by the rpm and the outer fingers would track the cam.

I'd like to see an engine with the system the Renault Formula 1 cars from the late 80s/early 90s used. Renault used solenoids to open the valves instead of camshafts. This allowed all sorts of cool valve timing, optimized to any situation. A camshaft is always a compromise.

svtguy
06-09-2005, 11:18 AM
I read this too. My wifes Contour has the VCT. Ford used that setup instead of a EGR setup. FWIW, the 2.3 I4 has been in the Focus for a while now. There are quite a few aftermarket go fast parts available for it.I'm no expert but , pretty sure the Contour does have the egr. First I heard of variable timing on the tours. I could be wrong though.

prchrman
06-09-2005, 11:32 AM
Looks like a kiddy caddy...willie

O's Fan Rich
06-09-2005, 11:44 AM
My daughter just got a 2005 Cobalt LS Sedan.
Nice little car that is.
the fusion .... well I'll have to see one in person.

chasrein01
06-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Saw one at the Flat Rock assembly plant last Saturday prior to a tour and unveiling of new Mustang models. At first I thought it was the 500 or Montego, but realized it was a Fusion when I got closer. Was able to sit in it too, and though I'm only 5' 10", I do weigh 250 and have back problems and found that getting in and out was even easier than with our Marauders. They are sharp looking cars, but then I think..."if it doesn't have a V-8, it isn't for me!" I know there are some V-6 and 4 cyl.s that worked up to the power level of the V-8, but the V-8 has more to go still! Maybe, someone could figure out how to fuse a 4.6 or 5.4 into the Fusion and really make it go!!!!!!!!!

rayjay
06-09-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm no expert but , pretty sure the Contour does have the egr. First I heard of variable timing on the tours. I could be wrong though.99 Tour, 2.0lt, VCT stamped into the valve cover. No EGR.

ncmm
06-09-2005, 02:25 PM
here's some video links

http://www.fordvehicles.com/futurevehicles/2006fusion/video-detail/index.asp?videoname=/assets/images/2006fusion/fusion_walkaround.swf

http://www.fordvehicles.com/futurevehicles/2006fusion/video-detail/index.asp?videoname=/assets/images/2006fusion/fusion_running.swf

http://www.fordvehicles.com/futurevehicles/2006fusion/#videoGalleryBox

svtguy
06-10-2005, 07:20 AM
99 Tour, 2.0lt, VCT stamped into the valve cover. No EGR.OK. 2.0L.
Zetec right?
I was thinking 2.5L Duratec.
I told you I was no expert.

wchain
06-10-2005, 07:30 AM
This sounds to me like another one from Ford to fill the nitch that started with the Tempo GL/LX/GLS...Now, if I could only find a '92 one with the GLS package on the 5 speed OD....

:cool:

Another Tempo/Topaz Fan! WOOT! :burnout:

I wanted a 94 LX V6 Really bad....LOL

dwasson
06-10-2005, 07:32 AM
I read this too. My wifes Contour has the VCT. Ford used that setup instead of a EGR setup. FWIW, the 2.3 I4 has been in the Focus for a while now. There are quite a few aftermarket go fast parts available for it.

I don't see why VCT would have anything to do with the EGR. They serve different purposes.

rayjay
06-10-2005, 09:31 AM
I don't see why VCT would have anything to do with the EGR. They serve different purposes.
My wifes 99 Tour has the 2.0 lt Zetec engine, there is no EGR on the engine. I had a 2000 ZX3, 2.0 lt Zetec that was equipped with a EGR. I've spent enough time under both hoods to know what was under there. I can't remember now how the VCT was used to reduce emissions, but thats why it was on the 99 Zetec engine.

Bluerauder
06-10-2005, 10:28 AM
I was thinking 2.5L Duratec.
I told you I was no expert.
If I recall the brochure correctly, both engines for the Fusion are the Duratec. :D

svtguy
06-10-2005, 11:03 AM
If I recall the brochure correctly, both engines for the Fusion are the Duratec. :DThe Duratecs in Contours do have EGR's.
Don't know why the Zetecs don't have them.
I believe you now RJ. I looked around on CEG a very little bit about this.
It does seem odd that the Zetecs don't though.
As dwassn said they serve different purposes.
Just a geuss but maybe the variable timing is so efficient that Ford didn't seem to think an EGR was necessary. *rollseyes/