PDA

View Full Version : Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

dwasson
04-28-2005, 09:46 PM
If any of you see the movie let's hear a review. I love the novels.

GarageMahal
04-29-2005, 08:21 AM
I'm scheduled to go tonight. I just couldn't pull off the midnight showing...

jta

Dr Caleb
04-29-2005, 08:34 AM
From what I hear, they forgot the most important part of the book. The humour. :(

"So long, and thanks for all the fish!" :rofl:

dwasson
04-29-2005, 09:43 AM
From what I hear, they forgot the most important part of the book. The humour. :(

"So long, and thanks for all the fish!" :rofl:

Yeah, I read one scathing review online from a sneak preview. But lately I have read some better reviews. I want to see what a fan of the novels thinks.

GarageMahal
04-29-2005, 12:16 PM
...I want to see what a fan of the novels thinks.

That's me ;) I will let you know what I think. I try pretty hard not to hear any review or even see previews of most movies. Also, it takes something special to get me off the couch and into the theater.

I probably won't post anything tonight but will try to tomorrow.

jta

hitchhiker
04-30-2005, 12:33 PM
Yeah, I read one scathing review online from a sneak preview. But lately I have read some better reviews. I want to see what a fan of the novels thinks.From the Restaurant at the end of the universe...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/images/173/pangalacticgb.jpg (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/guide/alcohol.shtml)

:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/images/32/42.gif (http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/hitchhikers/)

Don't Panic!

drgnrdr33
05-03-2005, 12:11 AM
My 16 and 14 yr old both loved it. All three of us have read the book. I'll see it soon.

Shaft333
05-03-2005, 05:41 AM
It was okay. I'd give it 3 out of 5.
Maybe a good rental.

I laughed out loud in a couple of spots. There were explosions so that garnered an instant two stars. Oddly, there was one beheading... and usually this means an instant 5 out of 5, but I couldn't do that. The beheading was a bit too cartoony to really count.

The movie was in focus and in color. Which is nice.
The actors also spoke English... mostly. So it had that going for it.
The effects, makeup, whatnot was good.

Macon Marauder
05-03-2005, 05:53 AM
Loved the novels. Really liked the movie. My 15 and 11 year old sons liked it too. Wife and daughter: not so much.

IMO much of the humor in the books came from the Guide itself. And there's some of that in the movie, but not a whole lot. But I realize they had to lose a ton of stuff to get it down to just under 2 hours. Then again, you'd think studios would realize that movie-goers will pay to see GOOD movies no matter how long they are. :(

3.5 out of 5 stars. Hope they continue!

Bowman9
05-03-2005, 09:05 AM
The local PBS station has been playing the 1981 BBC miniseries on weekends.
I have not got around to seeing the new one as of yet.

SouLRioT
05-03-2005, 10:20 AM
I never read the books, so it was odd when I saw a few guys coming into the theater with towels in their hands. I didn't think it was "that" type of movie. Once we finnished watching the movie I kindof got the towel thing. For someone who did not read the books it was a good movie with some LOL moments. I do have to agree that whenever the book talked those were the best parts.

twolow
05-03-2005, 10:56 AM
you'd think studios would realize that movie-goers will pay to see GOOD movies no matter how long they are. :(
The theaters hate anything long unless they are GUARANTEED tons of sales. They want to sell the most tickets in a given day and 2 hour movies give them that. A 3 hour movie sells less in a day unless it can be guaranteed to be packed for each screening...as was the case in some past long movies such as Titanic, Pearl Harbor, etc.

Paul T. Casey
05-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Saw it this past weekend, here's my take. Although the movie somewhat lost track of the books, and I would have made a few different choices for casting, it was about the most enjoyable new movie I've been to in years. On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 9.