PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready for the big install date next week

TooManyFords
05-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Last night I completed the installation of my triple A-Pillar pods and gauges. I wanted to get most of them working before coming down next Thursday so I have a couple questions.

1. I am going to hook up the Boost/Vac to the current setup today but do not know where to hook the tube up. Is there a convenient place to tap manifold vacuum before getting blown?

2. Do I need anything extra to hook up my Boost/Vac gauge after the kit is installed?

3. Should I decide to leave the Nitrous installed and jet it down to give me more "off the line", is there a convenient place to plumb the wet fogger jet into the system?

4. Will I need any different fittings for the kit if I have already tapped into the Schrader Valve for my fuel pressure source for Nos? I ordered two ZEX 4AN Gauge adapters yesterday after finding that nobody around here could even figure out what a male/female 4AN adapter with a 1/8 NPT port looked like. Good thing ZEX makes their own!

That's about all I can think of for now. I'll be bringing the camera, camcorder, laptop and anything else I can think and plan on heading down Thursday morning (5/12/05). Not too worried about where I will be staying yet, but I will need an address to enter into Streets & Trips so my laptop GPS can guide me. Also need the Time when you want me to show up so I can adjust my leaving time accordingly.

Plan on some good chow and drinks! We should find a bar and shoot some stick too!

Cheers!

John "cant wait to get BLOWN" Friel

[he said blown... LOL!]

MarauderTJA
05-06-2005, 09:42 AM
Last night I completed the installation of my triple A-Pillar pods and gauges. I wanted to get most of them working before coming down next Thursday so I have a couple questions.

1. I am going to hook up the Boost/Vac to the current setup today but do not know where to hook the tube up. Is there a convenient place to tap manifold vacuum before getting blown?

2. Do I need anything extra to hook up my Boost/Vac gauge after the kit is installed?

3. Should I decide to leave the Nitrous installed and jet it down to give me more "off the line", is there a convenient place to plumb the wet fogger jet into the system?

4. Will I need any different fittings for the kit if I have already tapped into the Schrader Valve for my fuel pressure source for Nos? I ordered two ZEX 4AN Gauge adapters yesterday after finding that nobody around here could even figure out what a male/female 4AN adapter with a 1/8 NPT port looked like. Good thing ZEX makes their own!

That's about all I can think of for now. I'll be bringing the camera, camcorder, laptop and anything else I can think and plan on heading down Thursday morning (5/12/05). Not too worried about where I will be staying yet, but I will need an address to enter into Streets & Trips so my laptop GPS can guide me. Also need the Time when you want me to show up so I can adjust my leaving time accordingly.

Plan on some good chow and drinks! We should find a bar and shoot some stick too!

Cheers!

[he said blown... LOL!]

John, you are going to absolutely LOVE your PROCHARGER! Can't wait to see your posts after you go for your first BLOWN ride..The install will go easy and looks great! Not long before you are one of an exclusive group of
S/C'd Marauders .:banana2:

Tom, Cape Cora, Florida

SergntMac
05-06-2005, 02:17 PM
So, when are you going to start getting excited about this, John...

TooManyFords
05-06-2005, 02:38 PM
It really hasn't set in yet. It's paid for and I guess I'm just waiting till it is all done. :)

I may have to make the next Chicken Run just so I can put some really fun miles on it next weekend.

:banana2:

SergntMac
05-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Please come, you won't be the only guest from out of state.

snowbird
05-06-2005, 03:54 PM

Cheers!

[he said blown... LOL!]
Congrats on your choice of blower, gauges setup and ... your name "can't wait to get BLOWN" John !

As for me, i decided to take an alternate route and just install 1 boost/vacuum for a start since i didn't want to attract people (and tickets giver) with pillar mounts. I'll might add more gauges when i find a satisfactory fit hidden down somewhere in the center cockpit.

Right now i have a Autometer Ultralite 4376 boost vacuum gauge in hand and a Autometer 10004 tilted and single steering column pod made to fit 94-04 Mustangs.

What is interesting is the halfmoon part of the pod on the right key access is a direct fit so is the top four way flashers recess and the left multifunction lever (Fords are Fords, it appears). Length and width of the reverse "U" shaped pod also fit over the stock steering column cover. A little work will have to be done to fit it in is finishing stage thought (and paint) but the results should be OK.

This setup could be used for the ones who would like to add only 1 gauge in their car.

HwyCruiser
05-06-2005, 06:31 PM
John,

I'll PM you with an approximate "20".

I decided to go with just a mechanical AutoMeter Ultra-Lite boost gauge for now (the cheap gauge that Greg is too tight to include in the kit :D). I'm almost done putting it into the console gauge pod in the lighter position, just have to solder in the backlight wires. Pics attached.

I had a turbo a while back and I can't ever remember paying much attention to the boost gauge. If I feel I need more visibility down the road I might relocate it to the A-pillar and putting another gauge in its place. I'd be interested to see Snowbird's steering column pod.

The anticipation is killing me!

snowbird
05-07-2005, 05:25 AM
John,

I'll PM you with an approximate "20". .....

I'd be interested to see Snowbird's steering column pod.

The anticipation is killing me!
I'm not up to date, camera wise but i'll find a way to post a few picture of the process. I will need 2-3 weeks to finish it in my spare time.

Luckily, that little project is helping the anticipation problem by keeping me busy!

SergntMac
05-07-2005, 06:21 AM
I'd be interested to see Snowbird's steering column pod.Me too! I have had the pod sitting here for a while now, no time to get into it.

A little work will have to be done to fit it in is finishing stage thought (and paint) but the results should be OK. Is it a good fit on the MM, or, does it need modification?

snowbird
05-10-2005, 06:45 PM
Me too! I have had the pod sitting here for a while now, no time to get into it.
Is it a good fit on the MM, or, does it need modification?
Hi,

As i posted earlier a couple days back, i was trying to fit a single gauge pod made for Mustangs steering column on Marauders.

I worked quite a bit on it this last week-end and it went as follows:

- Abs plastic pods are (my guess) approximate fit at best since they seems to warp a bit when they'are take off the moulding or injection process.

- It looked like an easy fit at first but went quite difficult since there was a bump on the top of the Mustang column that is not exactly the same on the MM,

- Because of the precedent point, i had to cut a big hole to fit it about 95% OK. Then, i went to hardware store to find a proper way to fill with household bug screen glued with small model cement (used like steel reinforcing rods in concrete) and sun hardening activated filing for wrecked or rusted car repair. I'm happy to report that it finally work as planned. Those blended stuff really made a decent ABS patching easily workable and sandable, and, it seem strong enough to resist cracking and all. Right now, i'm having a fitted and sanded pod in hand, waiting for a little sanding finish and Ford's interior color matched paint.

- I will try to post pictures in the coming days and you should be able to make your own mind about it. It's a bit time consuming but it can be made to work well for the meticulous and patient person (Which is really not my cup of tea but well, we have to adapt sometime ...).

Glenn
05-10-2005, 07:15 PM
I believe, if my memory serves me right from a previous thread, that there is a model of the Ford F150 that is a direct fit for the MM.

Glenn

FordNut
05-10-2005, 07:37 PM
I believe, if my memory serves me right from a previous thread, that there is a model of the Ford F150 that is a direct fit for the MM.

Glenn
I know that was reported, but I bought all 3 for test fitting. The Mustang one is the closest but it has a little cutout for the key shutoff safety lever which is part of the manual tranny switch function.

The other two are for trucks and have similar problems. One has the pod on the left, the other on the right like the 'stang one, but the truck ones have the pod more on top of the column while the 'stang one is more of an angle off to the top right corner.

Instead of making mine fit, I used another OEM column cover and cut the pod out of the new cover, then bonded it to the OEM cover. Any of the snap-on covers leave a little notch where they snap over the OEM column cover.

That was one of the pics I tried to recover from the gallery a few days ago.

I still haven't installed it. Got side-tracked, working on another gauge project. And intake porting, and PCV trap, and blower prep, and on and on

HwyCruiser
05-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Well, since we're still on gauge location options...

I finished the Auto Meter Ultra-lite boost gauge (pn 4301, 30" hg to 20 psi) installation tonight. I even relocated the cig lighter, inspired by MI2QK4U.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/gauge_pod.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/gauge_dark.jpg

I'm a bit disappointed with the backlight, they only provide green and red bulb filters but the OEM gauges use blue. I used the red filter since the blue just didn't look right and removing the filters from the OEM gauges looked worse IMO. Also the scale isn't translucent like the OEM gauges but there's enough light around the gauge to just barely read it.

Well, that's what I get trying to get away cheap... motivation to get some better gauges when the mod fund tips positive again. Just thought I'd share for evaluation.

Now about the small matter of getting the gauge to come off zero. Tick, tock. :D

maraudernkc
05-10-2005, 08:39 PM
That boost gauge is going to be moving very soon! :burnout:

I finished the Auto Meter Ultra-lite boost gauge (pn 4301, 30" hg to 20 psi) installation tonight. I even relocated the cig lighter, inspired by MI2QK4U.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/gauge_pod.jpg

I'm a bit disappointed with the backlight, they only provide green and red bulb filters but the OEM gauges use blue. I used the red filter since the blue just didn't look right and removing the filters from the OEM gauges looked worse IMO. Also the scale isn't translucent like the OEM gauges but there's enough light around the gauge to just barely read it.

Well, that's what I get trying to get away cheap... motivation to get some better gauges when the mod fund tips positive again. Just thought I'd share for evaluation.

Now about the small matter of getting the gauge to come off zero. Tick, tock. :D

SergntMac
05-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Just want to say thanks to John (TooManyFords) for letting us explore this gauge pod mod inside his supercharger announcement, without his permission.

Thank you, John.

This really needs to be a thread of it's own, I see a lot of us are looking at the same space, and for one more "perfect" gauge location. I see it too, but wonder how we get there. Let's keep this 411 flowing, but in a thread of it's own. IMHO, this will be another "keeper" thread, however it works out.

Donny Carlson
05-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Uhh, did you'all forget that Angry Duck Tofu Racing has a steering column single gauge pod for the Crown Vic, in both steering column shift and floor shift versions?

http://www.adtr.net/shop/images/ATM15010500.jpg

http://www.adtr.net/shop.php?page=access

$31.99

HwyCruiser
05-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Just want to say thanks to John (TooManyFords) for letting us explore this gauge pod mod inside his supercharger announcement, without his permission.

Thank you, John.

This really needs to be a thread of it's own, I see a lot of us are looking at the same space, and for one more "perfect" gauge location. I see it too, but wonder how we get there. Let's keep this 411 flowing, but in a thread of it's own. IMHO, this will be another "keeper" thread, however it works out.

Yes, thanks John and sorry my part in hijacking your thread. :bows:

I hope you got your answers, but if not Mike does this stuff for a living so I'm sure he'll get your boost gauge hookup squared away. Don't know if he hits the bottle though.

I'm also pretty sure we'll be able to keep you entertained while your in town! Greg?

snowbird
05-11-2005, 04:14 AM
[QUOTE=HwyCruiser]Yes, thanks John and sorry my part in hijacking your thread. :bows:

QUOTE]
Oups. Sorry for me too for the highjacking.

TooManyFords
05-11-2005, 05:35 AM
Geez guys, don't be apologizing to me! But I do agree with Mac that we should move the gauge posts to another forum, possibly in the one I started about the Nexus gauges.

Othwise if Greg don't mind it being in the FIT forum then I don't care either.

Cheers!

FordNut
05-11-2005, 06:23 AM

Replace the other 2 gauges with the functional oil pressure gauge and matching voltmeter, use green filters on all 3.

Uhh, did you'all forget that Angry Duck Tofu Racing has a steering column single gauge pod for the Crown Vic, in both steering column shift and floor shift versions?

$31.99

I didn't know about those. I wonder if it's the mustang or truck one that they're selling or if it's a "special"? Autometer doesn't list one for the CV. I'll be calling them up today.

Sorry about the highjack, enjoy the supercharger!

MM03MOK
05-11-2005, 06:40 AM
You can buy them at an auto parts store. I got them at Kragan's for less than $5 for a package of three. They had to special order but it only took two days. You can get them in one of four colors.

The Autometer part #s are:
Blue -- 3207
Yellow- 3208
Red --- 3214
Green - 3215
As I recall I gave the Kragan counterman the Autometer part # and he found it in his system real fast.http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?p=247780

HwyCruiser
05-11-2005, 07:28 AM
That's Mary! Don't know how I missed that thread, but I shouda thought to use the search button. :o

Now only if the gauge's scale was translucent I'd be all set.... :fishing:

FordNut
05-11-2005, 09:04 AM

http://www.adtr.net/shop/images/ATM15010500.jpg

$31.99
Reply from Chris at ADTR:

Hi Brian,

No, it's the F250 superduty pod. It does have cutout for the hole for the
key shutoff thingy like you mentioned.

I'd personally just take that and fill in the hole then paint it.

-Chris
A.D.T.R.

>Hi,
>I have a Marauder and have been trying to find a
>column pod for a 2-1/16" gauge. I have tried both of
>the F150 ones and the Mustang one from Autometer. One
>of them is close, but it has a cutout for the
>lever/button to stick through for key shutoff
>interlock on a manual tranny. Is the one you have
>listed on your website one of these or is it truly an
>exact fit? I didn't find an Autometer listing for the
>CV.

Mike M
09-24-2005, 04:14 PM
I am in the process of doing the boost gauge in the console and was wondering can the boost gauge go all the way to the left so it is the first gauge?

HwyCruiser
09-24-2005, 04:32 PM
I am in the process of doing the boost gauge in the console and was wondering can the boost gauge go all the way to the left so it is the first gauge?

Mike,

Short answer is yes.

Here's a pic of the back side of the gauge pod:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/gauge_back.jpg

You can see the bracket that the the volt and oil press gauges mount to. The OEM connectors are clipped into the bracket, but you could unclip them and shuffle the gauges over. I was thinking about doing the same thing and will probably do so when I get ambitious.

You'll have to get into the existing wiring of one of the gauges anyway to light up the boost gauge. I paralleled my light wires to the same color wires on the oil press gauge. A couple of cuts, strips, and a little solder and you'll be all done. Just remember to use some heat shrink insulation to cover the solder splice. Electrical tape is too getto for such a nice car.

Good luck!

MarauderTJA
09-25-2005, 03:23 PM
Mike, I put mine on the a-pillar with a dual pod with boost and fuel pressure units. The console unit would look great too.