PDA

View Full Version : Might Move to Battle Creek MI is it Nice

engine23ccvfd
05-12-2005, 11:12 AM
Need some help from some of you Michigan guys. I have an oppurtunity in Battle Creek Michigan that would mean a large raise and an oppurtunity to further focus my IT skill set. Anyone ever been to the town? Is it nice? Would you move there?

Cost of living is similar to Houston so most of the raise would goto my pocket and I like colder climates.

merc406
05-12-2005, 11:26 AM
Only one I know from their is kirk, a member of the Motor City Marauders, e-mail him for anything you need. :)

Fourth Horseman
05-12-2005, 12:11 PM
The big question is, can you be a Tigers fan?

MikesMerc
05-12-2005, 12:20 PM
BattleCreek is a very nice area. More rural than urban.

Rider90
05-12-2005, 12:50 PM
http://www.battlecreek.org/

Mad4Macs
05-12-2005, 04:48 PM
Need some help from some of you Michigan guys. I have an oppurtunity in Battle Creek Michigan that would mean a large raise and an oppurtunity to further focus my IT skill set. Anyone ever been to the town? Is it nice? Would you move there?

Cost of living is similar to Houston so most of the raise would goto my pocket and I like colder climates.

Depends on what your social life is like. I'd call Battle Creek "bucolic"... it's waaay too quiet for my tastes
:D

dwasson
05-12-2005, 08:40 PM
Battle Creek is a nice town. There are lot of road warrior types living there who commute to either Detroit or Chicago.

Here's a good site to learn about an area:

Best Places (http://www.bestplaces.net/)

engine23ccvfd
05-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Great guys thanks for the links.....I dont go out much so I dont mind a rural setting. I like the cold but will miss a near year round Harley riding season we have in the south.

I have a second technical interview this coming week. Will keep you all posted.

engine23ccvfd
05-15-2005, 11:02 AM
The big question is, can you be a Tigers fan?

If i have to choose between bein a Cubs fan or switching to the AL I think i will switch. Can not stand the cubs :help:

metroplex
05-15-2005, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't want to commute between BC and the SE MI area... I have to live within 45 min of my work. Otherwise it gets boring on the road and tires you out. Heck, I drive 30 min and it gets tiresome.

Fourth Horseman
05-15-2005, 04:12 PM
If i have to choose between bein a Cubs fan or switching to the AL I think i will switch. Can not stand the cubs :help:

As a closet Astros fan, I agree. :)

engine23ccvfd
05-16-2005, 06:07 AM
I wouldn't want to commute between BC and the SE MI area... I have to live within 45 min of my work. Otherwise it gets boring on the road and tires you out. Heck, I drive 30 min and it gets tiresome.

You're telling me I commute 120 miles round trip everyday and thats all within the Houston Metroplex...... 60 gas plus 50 in tollway every week :bigcry:

dwasson
05-16-2005, 07:55 AM
BC is about 100 miles from Dearborn. So if you wanted to come in and yell obcenities at Ford World HQ it's not that far.

Shaft333
05-16-2005, 09:04 AM
I've been through Battle Creek.
Seeing that you are in Houston now, I would seriously ponder how you can deal with winter. Really sucky winter. They get real lake effect too.
And then you have to tell everyone where you live by pointing to a spot on your hand. :o
You'll have to learn the nuances of being an Ogre and not a Yupper (or something like that). :)

Battle Creek is sleepy. If it weren't for Kellog's I can't imagine ever noticing that it's there. For me it's a gas stop on my way to Detroit.

Michigan is a pretty state in the summer. They allow conceal carry, which is nice.

Seriously consider the winter. I'd rather work in Houston even if it means I won't make as much. Being an automotive electronics engineer pretty much means that I need to work in Michigan to reach my income potential. I'm not even pricing real estate there...

GreekGod
05-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Being a Michigan "home-boy" most of my 54 years, my perspective may be a little biased. I would say "go for it", and you "only live once". My older brother is a computer geek/pro, and I visited him 7X when he lived in Houston. I love to visit there, but would never prefer it to Michigan. Battle Creek is an excellent central type locale for many reasons. I could send you a list of things to do and see that would keep a retired person busy full time for a year or two, just in Michigan! With Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis, Ohio, Wisconsin, et cetera so close, well you get the idea. Winters? HAH!! I laugh at Winters AND snow!! Nothing a good 4X4, AWD car or SUV, can't make into a daily joy ride/commute. Before snowmobiles became so big, a lot of guys used to ride their dirt bikes in the snow, off road. As the State moto says in Latin, "If you seek a pleasant peninsula, look about you". p.s.- 3000 MILES of coastline-more than the ENTIRE US Atlantic seaboard. Also, the most registered boats of all 50 states (even more than Florida) and possibly more motorcycles than California, when you add in all the unregistered/off road type machines!

GreekGod
05-16-2005, 06:45 PM
Why be :o , is their another State where you can "talk to the hand" when you want to show someone where you live? :D :cool: :coolman: :beatnik: :bows: :bows: :bows: :banana2: :banana2:

merc406
05-16-2005, 07:09 PM
...GreekGod, WTH is Wyoming MI. ?

dwasson
05-16-2005, 08:32 PM

South Grand Rapids suburbs.

GreekGod
05-17-2005, 04:05 AM
WYOMING, MI (pop. about 70,000) is the southern border city of Grand Rapids. It was named by settlers from Wyoming county, New York (before the civil war).There is also a Wyoming in the U.P. on the Keweenaw peninsula. Mine has one major GM stamping plant and is next to the city of Kentwood, which is home to the worlds largest office furniture manufacturer, Steelcase. p.s. the G.R. metro area is said to have a population of one million.

engine23ccvfd
05-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Great info guys....thanks for the advice. I am used to winters and cold weather. Actually prefer it to hot weather as you can just put more clothes on. I am sure it gets old year after year but that is true of whatever area you live in.

My wife is from Michigan (Three Oaks) so there is lots of her family in the state.

GreekGod
05-18-2005, 04:59 PM
My younger brother has been in Las Vegas, Nevada since 1977. His wife lived in Alaska for many years and now is tired of the desert heat from the last 20 years in Nevada. I cannot imagine the Houston heat/humidity, year after year.
Great info guys....thanks for the advice. I am used to winters and cold weather. Actually prefer it to hot weather as you can just put more clothes on. I am sure it gets old year after year but that is true of whatever area you live in.

My wife is from Michigan (Three Oaks) so there is lots of her family in the state.