PDA

View Full Version : Looked at an SSR today

Donny Carlson
05-14-2005, 07:20 PM
I read about the improvements made to the SSR for the 2005 model year, notably the 6.0L engine, and on the way home I see one in the nearby Chevy dealer's show room. Time for a close up look.

First, he had three used '04s out front, and a new '04 sitting "on deck." The impression I got was that just showing interest in any of these vehicles, the GM would send the receptionist out to squeeze your weasel. Feh!

The '05 on the show room was red, with enough options (most dealer installed but factory supplied) to boost the sticker to over $47K. The sales manager made a strong point that they no longer were adding additional dealer markup to SSR's and they would deal on this one (he was really kissing up because he saw me pull up in my Marauder.)

Okay, here's some impressions..

I like their accessory gauge pod at the front of the floor console. Looks great, but who selected those gauges? Volts is cool (supposed to be a real one, too), but outside temperature? It's a friggin VERT for crissakes, and Torque?
WTF? It does have IP gauges for Oil pressure and water temp, but how about a trans temp gauge (was available on the 04) or something more useful? If I bought this car, the first mod would be retrofitting the 04 Trans temp gauge.
Also, they are a proprietary design and not one you can buy from AM or another aftermarket outlet.

I fell in love with the 20" wheels on back, 19" on front. This car had painted wheels, which look ridiculous. Chrome wheels is a $1,500 option, and I would definitely get those instead. The wheel tubs on this thing are huge. I wonder what the replacement cost on these tires would be (Goodyears, iirc).

The engine compartment is insanely cramped. Then they put on a beauty cover that hides all that 6.0L goodness. The Marauder engine bay is more impressive. The air intake is extremely short (runs directly into the TB from the grille, passing though a vertically oriented panel filter). It's for all intents a ram air because the inlet is right at the top of the grille, goes about 3" up to the filter, then directly to the TB. Interesting.

I'm not sure about the accessory running boards, though they didn't detract from the look. The trailering package was idiotic. Cripes, go buy a Silverado if you have to haul your bass boat somewhere, Skippy.

Nice chrome tips already extended properly away from the body.

at 390 HP at the crank, I can see this could be a screamer with a proper tune, exhaust, beef up the suspension a bit. Course, there's no roll bar.

If I had lots of money, I would buy one. I'd wait until end of model year, or just after announcement the model has been dropped, then swoop in and buy one at a big discount. Shoot, I bet you could do that now. Would be an interesting toy.

Fourth Horseman
05-14-2005, 08:14 PM
I quite like them now with the new 390 HP engine. Just way, _WAY_ too expensive, IMHO. Slick looking ride, though.

Big House
05-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Simply Sucks.....Really.

bigslim
05-14-2005, 10:36 PM
A little too chunky for me. Something about the proportions that don't grab me.

metroplex
05-15-2005, 05:08 AM
Super Street, Type - R.

Seriously, it's a GM. Don't even touch it.

RoyLPita
05-15-2005, 06:10 AM
I read about the improvements made to the SSR for the 2005 model year, notably the 6.0L engine, and on the way home I see one in the nearby Chevy dealer's show room. Time for a close up look.

First, he had three used '04s out front, and a new '04 sitting "on deck." The impression I got was that just showing interest in any of these vehicles, the GM would send the receptionist out to squeeze your weasel. Feh!

The '05 on the show room was red, with enough options (most dealer installed but factory supplied) to boost the sticker to over $47K. The sales manager made a strong point that they no longer were adding additional dealer markup to SSR's and they would deal on this one (he was really kissing up because he saw me pull up in my Marauder.)

Okay, here's some impressions..

I like their accessory gauge pod at the front of the floor console. Looks great, but who selected those gauges? Volts is cool (supposed to be a real one, too), but outside temperature? It's a friggin VERT for crissakes, and Torque?
WTF? It does have IP gauges for Oil pressure and water temp, but how about a trans temp gauge (was available on the 04) or something more useful? If I bought this car, the first mod would be retrofitting the 04 Trans temp gauge.
Also, they are a proprietary design and not one you can buy from AM or another aftermarket outlet.

I fell in love with the 20" wheels on back, 19" on front. This car had painted wheels, which look ridiculous. Chrome wheels is a $1,500 option, and I would definitely get those instead. The wheel tubs on this thing are huge. I wonder what the replacement cost on these tires would be (Goodyears, iirc).

The engine compartment is insanely cramped. Then they put on a beauty cover that hides all that 6.0L goodness. The Marauder engine bay is more impressive. The air intake is extremely short (runs directly into the TB from the grille, passing though a vertically oriented panel filter). It's for all intents a ram air because the inlet is right at the top of the grille, goes about 3" up to the filter, then directly to the TB. Interesting.

I'm not sure about the accessory running boards, though they didn't detract from the look. The trailering package was idiotic. Cripes, go buy a Silverado if you have to haul your bass boat somewhere, Skippy.

Nice chrome tips already extended properly away from the body.

at 390 HP at the crank, I can see this could be a screamer with a proper tune, exhaust, beef up the suspension a bit. Course, there's no roll bar.

If I had lots of money, I would buy one. I'd wait until end of model year, or just after announcement the model has been dropped, then swoop in and buy one at a big discount. Shoot, I bet you could do that now. Would be an interesting toy.

Did this SSR have the automatic or the 6-speed??????