PDA

View Full Version : "Surprised" isn't the word!!

BillyGman
05-17-2005, 11:49 PM
I stopped at the grocery store late at night, and I saw a co-worker loading his groceries in his car laughing at me because he heard me coming :D .......so he then gave me a look with a big grin on his face as I was pulling into the parking lot. Because it was past midnight, and barely nobody in the lot, I hammered the go pedal a little bit, and then let off. As I let off, I saw two guys about in their early 20's walking into the store, and one of them looked at me and made a whirling motion with his finger indicating that he wanted to see a burnout, so I hammered on the go pdeal again, and just spun the tires slightly.

So when I went into the store, those two guys were waiting for me, and wanted to know all about my Marauder, and what I did to it. And then one of them said to me..."Were you running from the cops lastnight?".... I replied..."No, not at all" (cuz I don't do that).....then I asked him..."why?"...So he then said, "Because I saw you real late lastnight getting on the highway, and you got on the loud pedal, and there was a cop behind you, and he started after you w/out puting on his siren nor his lightbar, and you were gone!! And then when he saw that he couldn't even come close to keeping up with you, he just gave up! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I said...."WOW!!!! I had no idea there was a cop behind me!!!!! :eek:

I cannot even imagine why he didn't put his lightbar on. But I guess I really lucked out. I was oblivious to that until this guy told me this!!! I didn't know what else to say!!!! Has anyone else ever had something similar happen to them?

torinodan
05-17-2005, 11:53 PM
FYI: Look behind you before you hit the "GO" pedal.:rolleyes:

BillyGman
05-17-2005, 11:55 PM
FYI: Look behind you before you hit the "GO" pedal.:rolleyes:I don't think you read my post. it was past midnight, so all as you see are headlights, get it? :rolleyes:

jstevens
05-18-2005, 04:49 AM
Thats hilarious billy,

I was out on Gratiot last Saturday night, saw a s/c Marauder, plate "STUGAT". Anyways, I chirp the tires sitting still to get his attention. Well I don't think he knew who chirped them.

I could see his nittos, heard the whine, and he was gone.

It is amazing the amount of quickness and speed these things can produce.

woaface
05-18-2005, 05:02 AM
Smooth move!

A lot of people can out run cop cars, but you can never outrun the raido:P

blackf0rk
05-18-2005, 06:36 AM
I was at a four way stop (where all the morons hang out), and it was my turn to go (after all the morons finally figured out what to do) and hit it good and squeeled the tires, I looked in the rear view mirror at the intersection and two cars back was an LEO. oops :(

hehe :)

SergntMac
05-18-2005, 06:52 AM
A lot of people can out run cop cars, but you can never outrun the raido:PWanna bet? Proved this 3x now, to young brash cops who think they know it all. I've been chasing cars for 25 years and I've learned a few tricks, from loosing a few chases I didn't expect to lose and high speeds didn't have a lot to do with it. Low speed quickness and agility is the key. The exciting chases usually stayed under 50 MPH, but that can be fast in an alley.

It's simply a matter of putting as much distance as possible between the two bumpers as quickly as you can, and frequent turns. If you can turn off one street on to another before the officer can keep others updated on your speed, and direction, you're gone. But, you got to be quick, and also get off the road as soon as possible, they will be looking for you.

The folks who get caught, are the dummies who drive in a straight line thinking top speed will shake the slower police car. It should be obvious that when you stay on any street too long, the back-up gets into the neighborhood, and you're now just an arrest looking for an address, pull over...

Billy, the kids may haven been teasing you. I'm sure your PD knows more about you than you think, and they'll be stopping by soon if you did anything wrong. If a cop was behind you, what were you doing but getting on the highway, right? Never hear of anyone getting in trouble for getting on an expressway too fast...

Rider90
05-18-2005, 07:14 AM
Wanna bet? Proved this 3x now, to young brash cops who think they know it all. I've been chasing cars for 25 years and I've learned a few tricks, from loosing a few chases I didn't expect to lose and high speeds didn't have a lot to do with it. Low speed quickness and agility is the key. The exciting chases usually stayed under 50 MPH, but that can be fast in an alley.

It's simply a matter of putting as much distance as possible between the two bumpers as quickly as you can, and frequent turns. If you can turn off one street on to another before the officer can keep others updated on your speed, and direction, you're gone. But, you got to be quick, and also get off the road as soon as possible, they will be looking for you.

The folks who get caught, are the dummies who drive in a straight line thinking top speed will shake the slower police car. It should be obvious that when you stay on any street too long, the back-up gets into the neighborhood, and you're now just an arrest looking for an address, pull over...

Billy, the kids may haven been teasing you. I'm sure your PD knows more about you than you think, and they'll be stopping by soon if you did anything wrong. If a cop was behind you, what were you doing but getting on the highway, right? Never hear of anyone getting in trouble for getting on an expressway too fast...

So this is why Mac insisted I need to learn how to D R I V E :arcade:
Let me do the captioning for this pic...
http://midwestpanthers.net/events/cr15/32.jpg
Mac: "And if you tell me that you can't out run Motorola, Wanna Bet??"

:banana2:

SergntMac
05-18-2005, 08:21 AM
Let me do the captioning for this pic...
http://midwestpanthers.net/events/cr15/32.jpg
Mac: "And if you tell me that you can't out run Motorola, Wanna Bet??"

:banana2:
OMG! I did say that, didn't I...Well, he didn't take me up on the offer.

twolow
05-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Where can I get me a two tone Marauder like that? ;)

BillyGman
05-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Two things here:

#1. I just want to make it clear that I am not in the habit of engaging police officers in a high speed pursuit. I did that a couple times 18 years ago, and although i got away from them one time w/out them even getting close enough to me to get my plate #, I haven't ever done that again since then. It's just too dangerous (far more so than even street racing can be IMO since you're in a desperation mode and will do almost anything to get away).

I'm not neccessarily opposed to anyone here discussing that issue, it's just that I don't want to give people here the impression that I run from Law Enforcement when and if they attempt to pull me over.

#2. Someone else said that those kids were just messing with me when they said that, but the funny thing is, that I was in fact in the exact area where he said that he saw me getting on the highway, and it was the night before just as he said. And in my part of the state, there are only two other Marauders that I know of on the street, and both of them are factory stock and are much quieter than my Marauder is, so many places I go in my Marauder, people recognize me as soon as they hear the exhaust note. So I think what this guy said about what happened is true. :eek:

bigslim
05-18-2005, 11:56 AM
Thats hilarious billy,

I was out on Gratiot last Saturday night, saw a s/c Marauder, plate "STUGAT". Anyways, I chirp the tires sitting still to get his attention. Well I don't think he knew who chirped them.

I could see his nittos, heard the whine, and he was gone.

It is amazing the amount of quickness and speed these things can produce.
That guy (STUGAT) has a Trilogy blower on it. He was at Lidio's Dyno Day.

03whitemach
05-18-2005, 01:05 PM
If a cop was behind you, what were you doing but getting on the highway, right? Never hear of anyone getting in trouble for getting on an expressway too fast...
I got nailed years back for doing 72 in a 65. I was merging into traffic, there were alot of cars coming so instead of creating a bottleneck in the merge lane I hit the "GO" pedal and merge ahead of them. The problem is, one of them was an FHP. After I got into traffic I slowed to the same speed as everyone else. The trooper pulled up next to me and told me to pull over.

frdrckmarauder
05-18-2005, 01:14 PM
I stopped at the grocery store late at night, and I saw a co-worker loading his groceries in his car laughing at me because he heard me coming :D .......so he then gave me a look with a big grin on his face as I was pulling into the parking lot. Because it was past midnight, and barely nobody in the lot, I hammered the go pedal a little bit, and then let off. As I let off, I saw two guys about in their early 20's walking into the store, and one of them looked at me and made a whirling motion with his finger indicating that he wanted to see a burnout, so I hammered on the go pdeal again, and just spun the tires slightly.

So when I went into the store, those two guys were waiting for me, and wanted to know all about my Marauder, and what I did to it. And then one of them said to me..."Were you running from the cops lastnight?".... I replied..."No, not at all" (cuz I don't do that).....then I asked him..."why?"...So he then said, "Because I saw you real late lastnight getting on the highway, and you got on the loud pedal, and there was a cop behind you, and he started after you w/out puting on his siren nor his lightbar, and you were gone!! And then when he saw that he couldn't even come close to keeping up with you, he just gave up! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I cannot even imagine why he didn't put his lightbar on. But I guess I really lucked out. I was oblivious to that until this guy told me this!!! I didn't know what else to say!!!! Has anyone else ever had something similar happen to them?Thatt ss ounds like BS to me.

stevengerard
05-18-2005, 03:21 PM
I got stuck at a stop sign so long that I forgot to look behind me in the 442 - oops just a little squeal earned me a ticket. I never increased my speed to get away from a LEO but here in Chicago there are lots of ways you can sneak off the main street.

Bradley G
05-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Hey Billy

It may be he was getting off his shift soon!
Cause ,I think if he really wanted you, he may have just called ahead for another LEO to greet you.Could be he got a call on the radio that took priority over your antics.
I try not to look a gift horse, that can't spell:D
Bradley G

Thatt ss ounds like BS to me.

BillyGman
05-18-2005, 05:00 PM
Hey Billy

It may be he was getting off his shift soon!
Cause ,I think if he really wanted you, he may have just called ahead for another LEO to greet you.Could be he got a call on the radio that took priority over your antics.
I try not to look a gift horse, that can't spell:D
Bradley GSure Brad. It could've been a few different reasons like that. I don't know if one of the possible reasons might also include the fact that it was just after midnight. Who knows ...... all is I know, I WAS at the place that the guy said I was, and on the day that he said I was there.

DEFYANT
05-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Wanna bet? Proved this 3x now, to young brash cops who think they know it all. I've been chasing cars for 25 years and I've learned a few tricks, from loosing a few chases I didn't expect to lose and high speeds didn't have a lot to do with it. Low speed quickness and agility is the key. The exciting chases usually stayed under 50 MPH, but that can be fast in an alley.

I had a new 350Z at 67 in a 30 not long ago. When I went to turn around on it, he took off. I completed my turn and took off after it figuring he's gone. But he wasnt. The road was a back road rural type. Long story short, I got him. Proving a "slow" CVPI driven properly can catch any vehicle.

Joe Walsh
05-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Billy, I had a similar experience with my Marauder....I had just installed my Kooks, 2-1/2" exhaust and Magnaflows.
I drove with my brother over to a nice straight side street that cut through between two major roads.
We took turns standing on the side of the road while the other drove by @ WOT with my Marauder to see what the exhaust sounded like....
After a good 5 minutes of this we decided to leave and just as we turned onto the main road there was a big Police radar trap set up.
It was only about 120 yards away from our 'Audio Testing' area...
All the LEOs were staring at us as we IDLED past them smiling. They didn't stop us, BUT THEY KNEW!!!

(I think that they really liked the bad black Panther and let us 'slide'... :o )

bigslim
05-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Maybe he saw your video and wanted an autograph. :D

BillyGman
05-19-2005, 07:08 AM
Maybe he saw your video and wanted an autograph. :DLOL..........:banana2:

BillyGman
05-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Billy, I had a similar experience with my Marauder....I had just installed my Kooks, 2-1/2" exhaust and Magnaflows.
I drove with my brother over to a nice straight side street that cut through between two major roads.
We took turns standing on the side of the road while the other drove by @ WOT with my Marauder to see what the exhaust sounded like....
After a good 5 minutes of this we decided to leave and just as we turned onto the main road there was a big Police radar trap set up.
It was only about 120 yards away from our 'Audio Testing' area...
All the LEOs were staring at us as we IDLED past them smiling. They didn't stop us, BUT THEY KNEW!!!

(I think that they really liked the bad black Panther and let us 'slide'... :o )good point Joe.... I think that's often the case with these cars.There's one Merc dealer in my homestate who told me that they sold 7 Marauders, and that 5 of those seven where purchased by police officers.

the_pack_rat
05-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Been there been in such situations(mostly in my younger days back in NJ) ...

Three such situations I can think of ...

# 1) - 77 Merc Cougar 351W 2bbl (1979) circa 1990 ? - c

Was tinkering around with things(timing/carb adjustments) ..... & I would take the car for a spin down this road 5 min away that was mostly industrial(LOW traffic) to test my efforts so to speak. While there were no signs ... one could safely assume such a road would have a 35 mph rating tops.

I was using NO formal tuning tools so to speak(timing light - vacuum gauge etc etc which I've done on most of my older cars & always did quite well) ... this was all strictly SOTP type stuff.

Well here I am doing a FULL THROTTLE run down this road & I pass one of the side roads ... & here out of my LH eye ... I see this police paddy wagon rolling up to the stop sign. I glance back down at the speedo & I'm doing @ 80 mph.

I IMMEADIATELY nail the brakes - make the next left(road had ended here - & yes I knew it was ending there despite my speed) ... pull over after I make the turn - park the car off to the side of the road - put it in park & just WAIT(accepting the fact I am just plain ole' SNAGGED plain & simple).

That paddy wagon NEVER turned the corner ...

Those two officers in there either got a call & had bigger fish to fry ... or they could see that their presence scared the piss out of me(when I slowed down REAL QUICK) ... & that was enough for them.

#2 ) - 75 Olds Toronado 455 4bbl circa 1989 - 1990 ?.

Driving around one night with no particular place to go(no this is not a song ;) ... I come upon a stop sign. Now as much as a FWD drive car might be different than a RWD one ... some basic laws of physics STILL apply. Just the same as one can take a torquey RWD car from a stop - turn a corner - DRILL it & find themselves laying a fair amount of rubber more so than they might do in a straight line ... same can be said for a FWD 455 powered Toronado.

Again refering back to basic laws of physics ...

The "abruptness" or the amount one really "cuts the steering wheel" around the corner ... plays a MAJOR part of the rubber laying ... RWD OR FWD.

Well ... I did one of my signature FWD 1/2 way across an intersection then "oopsie" I wanna make a RH turn manuevers(yeah look BOTH ways first) ...

A "non-chalant" move such a thing in this car it was NOT ... as the RF tire would squeal & smoke violently ... as the front end would plow in the opposite direction towards the left, do to the lack of traction of the RH tire(yes FWD cars CAN BE FUN once you know how to "play" with them ;). Similar things were perfectly do-able on LH turns as well.

Well just WHO is making there way down the street towards me not that far down the road ...

Nuther' one of them damn paddy wagons.

OOPS !.

They NEVER turn around ... another lucky day for me I guess.

#3) - 81 Olds Toronado 350 4bbl (1976) circa 1991 - 1992.

Back to the same turf as story #1.

I make my way towards that industrial type street the same way that paddy wagon did in story # 1 ...

Glance to my left ... no one coming - roll slightly thru the stop sign looking to my right to check traffic - NO one coming.

Again I'm doing one of my signature 1/2 way FWD RH turn maneuvers ... the RF tire objects both physically & vocally in the same violent manner as in story # 2.

So I come out of the corner & take off ...

Tranny just shifts out of 1st & I'm just about at the 60mph mark as I pass this driveway to a vacant building on the RH side ... & here yet AGAIN is one of these paddy wagons.

NAILED the brakes ... slowed down next to nothing waiting for it to pull out ... as I was just going to pull over.

It NEVER did.

Yet ANOTHER lucky day for me I guess.

PS -

While I might not do such things as often these days ...

Those signature FWD maneuvers are even MORE fun in a 72 Toronado w/o cats & smogger heads.

;)

Merc-O-matic
05-20-2005, 06:21 PM

I cannot even imagine why he didn't put his lightbar on. But I guess I really lucked out. I was oblivious to that until this guy told me this!!! I didn't know what else to say!!!! Has anyone else ever had something similar happen to them?

When my Marauder was BRAND NEW (06/03) I was headed up I-95
to Jacksonville, FL early one Saturday evening....my thought was lets
break the car in....so I took it up to 100+ MPH just to see what she could
do.... At that very moment on the right side of the road there were two (2)
FHP patrol cars and two officers with a radar gun pointed right at me!
I was "dead meat".... could be jail time? At the very instant I thought they
would signal for me to pull over, all they did was "wave" Huh? so I waved back! and and let the needle slowly come down off 100MPH....on to Jax albeit
with a small stain on my underwear.
The moral of the story: They thought I was another police car/agency?
Don't think that will happen again!

Gotta Love It! :pimp:

woaface
05-20-2005, 09:09 PM
Yeah really, maybe some LEO's could figure out how to utilize some throttle out of the apex and hope the other driver isn't exactly perfect.

This is exactly the way I chased down an S2000 once in the minivan! I know my weaknesses.

However the subject of outrunning LE is an interesting one as far the logic and ability test put upon both drivers. It would be a fun game if it's legal on a closed course, but is otherwise really kind of dumb.

I always stop as quickly as possible, immediately turning on my hazards the second I see the cherrys. Which hasn't been much, once a mistake I was pulled. I'm polite and don't make sudden moves, always letting the officer know where the needed info is and that I'll be reaching for it unless he specifies I need to do otherwise:)

Cops are great, and causing me a problem isn't so bad as long as they're not stupid about it (which I've ALMOST had trouble with.) Harassing kids like me is a great thing sometimes, all the trouble it prevents.

MENINBLK
05-20-2005, 09:24 PM
I don't think you read my post. it was past midnight, so all as you see are headlights, get it? :rolleyes:

LEOs here drive at night with all of their lights OFF...

So please be careful. You never know, and it only takes ONCE to find out.

I've seen LEOs chase down vehicles at high speeds on the parkway with no lights on at all,
and when they finally get on your bumper, they light up like a G.. D... Christmas tree.
I saw a LEO almost rear end a suspect, because the LEO spooked the suspect so bad,
the suspect stood on the brake pedal!

BillyGman
05-20-2005, 09:51 PM
I saw a LEO almost rear end a suspect, because the LEO spooked the suspect so bad,
the suspect stood on the brake pedal!Yeah, one almost rear ended me when I had my mazda RX7 (back in the 90's) when I deliberately stood on the brake pedal because he kept tailgating me when I was driving at a reasonable pace in an effort to get me to speed so that he can pull me over.

And then when I hit my turn signal and moved out of his way and into the righthand lane, the moron followed me into the righthand lane and kept on my bumper, so because he got me so ticked off, and because I didn't care about that car anymore, I woke him up by giving him a brake rush. All is I saw were headlights since it was night time, but I knew that it had to be a cop, and an arrogant one at that, because nobody else would be doing that for no reason at all like he was. so then after he gained control of his car, he puts the lightbar on to pull me over.

He was already to give me a ticket for "unsafe" driving or something like that uintil I informed him that I had immediate family on the foirce. Then he was even more angered because he knew that there was no use giving me a ticket since I would just get it fixed. Cops like that give good cops a bad name.

BillyGman
05-20-2005, 09:53 PM
When my Marauder was BRAND NEW (06/03) I was headed up I-95
to Jacksonville, FL early one Saturday evening....my thought was lets
break the car in....so I took it up to 100+ MPH just to see what she could
do.... At that very moment on the right side of the road there were two (2)
FHP patrol cars and two officers with a radar gun pointed right at me!
I was "dead meat".... could be jail time? At the very instant I thought they
would signal for me to pull over, all they did was "wave" Huh? so I waved back! and and let the needle slowly come down off 100MPH....on to Jax albeit
with a small stain on my underwear.
The moral of the story: They thought I was another police car/agency?
Don't think that will happen again!

Gotta Love It! :pimp:WOW!!!! That's sounds crazy!!!! Talk about an adrenaline rush, uh?