PDA

View Full Version : Please save me from this future ...

Mad1
05-23-2005, 01:52 PM
I didn't want to hijack Dennis' thread about the X-Cal 2, but I had to whine about this possible "advancement."

The real pioneers got chips and then the tuners came along, so it's a constant progression. Watch and in 5 years they'll have some wireless technology that can remotely flash your PCM directly from the shop!

Unfortunately, Norm is probably right and if it is at all cheaper for manufacturers or dealers then I'm sure wireless will find its way into our cars at some point.

I for one would be terrified to drive something like that, because heaven knows the "default" security settings will let any idiot with a laptop screw with your programming. Imagine being able to pop locks, trucks, mess with ignition timing, etc. on someone's car with out even needing to get near it.

Consulting my crystal ball gearshift, I foresee teen hackers and wannabee theives cruising mall parking lots or even "dealer lots" to mess with cars or just swiping CDs and spare change from helpless automobiles with "stock" programming and a vulnerable wireless access point.

Sure, the wireless industry will tell you "how-to" change the default settings to something more secure. At least, dear god, I hope that would be possible. But, judge for yourself by how well it has handled the wireless computer equipment debate (higher security vs. as easier installation/setup as default). Did you see those topless pictures off Paris Hilton's cell phone? I rest my case.

Anyone see that prediction going down another way?

Mad1
Jeremy

Fourth Horseman
05-23-2005, 03:30 PM
I can see it now... you pull up the light and that Z06 Vette in the next lane revs his engine. You reach over to the passenger seat and flip up the lid on your notebook computer. The computer's wireless is up and you start searching... There he is. Now we'll just upload a slight "de-tune" for him. Boy won't he be surprised when that light goes green.
:lol:

teamrope
05-23-2005, 04:43 PM
I can see it now... you pull up the light and that Z06 Vette in the next lane revs his engine. You reach over to the passenger seat and flip up the lid on your notebook computer. The computer's wireless is up and you start searching... There he is. Now we'll just upload a slight "de-tune" for him. Boy won't he be surprised when that light goes green.
:lol:

In that case....BRING ON THE WIRELESS! :lol: :)

cyclone03
05-23-2005, 05:02 PM
In that case....BRING ON THE WIRELESS! :lol: :)
Yes but it works both ways,he punchs up a few keystrokes and now your Marauder runs like a big 4 door sedan.

dwasson
05-23-2005, 05:06 PM
This is why I line my ballcap with aluminum foil.

CBT
05-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Did you see those topless pictures off Paris Hilton's cell phone? I rest my case. Mad1
Dang! What thread were those in?!

Mad1
05-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Dang! What thread were those in?!

Paris' cell phone hacked (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/21/scitech/pcanswer/main675320.shtml)
From this story ...

News of the Hilton cell phone security breach occurred just two days after the first cell phone virus, Cabir, infected an American phone. The infected phone was discovered at an electronics store in Santa Monica. Like old-fashioned viruses, Cabir is airborne. It is transmitted between devices that use Bluetooth: a technology that makes it possible for phones to wirelessly exchange data with PCs and other devices. Other PDAs and cell phones are equipped with WiFi wireless connections that also make them vulnerable to attack.

The cell phone industry and anti-virus companies are starting to work on better security for cell phones but, if it’s anything like PC security, it is likely to be a cat and mouse game with the good guys always struggling to stay ahead of the hackers.

You really want your car to be vulnerable to viruses?!? :censor:

You're responsible for finding the photos yourself, but that shouldn't be too hard. I'd suggest just turning off "Safe Search" on your Google settings ... then you'll be frankly amazed at what is really out there on an unfiltered Internet. (i.e. You thought it was full of filth before ... you got no idea, bub!)

Mad1
Jeremy

P.S. I've got a chrome baseball hat ... it blocks Kenneth's frequency.

P.P.S. If you not adept at Internet searches ... you can check the stolen pics out
here (http://eluid.org/news/paris-hilton.jpg). WARNING .... NOT WORK SAFE.

shakes_26
05-23-2005, 08:06 PM
and dont forget to line your underpants too....http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif

Donny Carlson
05-23-2005, 08:09 PM
and dont forget to line your underpants too....http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif
Nah, I use a sheet of Xpel "clear bra" on mine.

Shaft333
05-24-2005, 05:25 AM
Well it would keep food on my plate! :D Bring it on!

martyo
05-24-2005, 05:54 AM

Is anyone really interested in what's under the liner? :confused:

Warpath
05-24-2005, 09:07 AM
There is one of those tall tales that a Lexus got its CPU infected through a cell phone. Lexus has stated that they have never heard of such a thing. However, it caught the attention of some OEMs and they are starting to research making their future CPUs more robust to infection.

ckadiddle
05-24-2005, 01:17 PM
All the more reason for me to keep driving my "antique" Marauder ten years from now. :) And, yes, it is inevitable. Anything can be hacked if you have enough money, time and brainpower. Thankfully, those three rarely come together at the same time. :rolleyes:

dwasson
05-24-2005, 02:49 PM
Diesel semi tractors have something like that now. Detroit Diesel powered trucks use a different tune for different requirements. If you are pulling a load of feathers across Kansas you don't need as much power as you would for a full load of iron over the Rockies. So there will be a program for better mileage and less power, and a high power program.

The present system downloads a new engine program to the driver's notebook PC and then from the notebook to the engine computer. This is just a way to eliminate one step.