PDA

View Full Version : A ? For U Mustang Lovers:

BillyGman
05-23-2005, 02:09 PM
I know this has nothing to do with Marauders, but that's precisely the reason why I've placed this poll in the Lounge forum since it's for off-topic threads.And I know there are a number of Ford enthusiasts here....

If you had a rich uncle who told you that for your birthday NEXT year he was going to give you a choice of either a completely 100% authentically fully restored 1969 Ford Boss 429 Mustang, or a brand new 2007 Shelby GT500, and that the stipulation was that while you can drive it whatever way that you want on the track or on the street, but that you cannot sell the car that you choose, and that you have to leave it in it's factory stock condition, which car would be your choice?

I would pick the 07 GT500. What about you guys? And please feel free to also state the reason(s) for your choice. There's no right or wrong answer here. It would be a matter of preference of course. Remember, your choice can't be based on the alleged value of either car since you wouldn't be allowed to sell either one. It would have to do only with your potential driving experience with either car. :banana2:

Tallboy
05-23-2005, 02:21 PM
Gimme the new GT500. Those 69s are nice to look at but not much fun to actually "drive" [think cross-country].

TooManyFords
05-23-2005, 03:10 PM
I'll take the Boss HEMI, thank you. Preferably in Wimbledon White. Also, make it a tad more rare and make it a '70. (even if the color was not offered in '70)

;)

Dark_Knight7096
05-23-2005, 04:25 PM
I'd take the BOSS '9, yea it's not as fast, yea it's not as fun to drive, but c'mon now...
I had a BOSS 302 (which is superior to the 429 ironically enough) and I would take that any day over my old 96GT or even an 05 GT (if i had the choice). The looks you get when driving those things are unbeleiveable. People will give you the respect you deserve regardless of your .25 time. I'd rather have a concours correct BOSS 302 over the '9, but in the context of this question definately the "Semi-Hemi"!!!

Joe Walsh
05-23-2005, 05:01 PM
BOSS 429.......nuff said!

Joe Walsh
05-23-2005, 05:05 PM

Reason: The name alone is SO cool.....It's BOSS!!!
Younger folks won't remember the term 'BOSS'.

(Plus, you said: No modifications....I'd be dying to modify a 2007 Shelby GT500, a BOSS 429 I would leave bone stock...)

cyclone03
05-23-2005, 05:06 PM
Oh crudd,I voted Boss 9 before I read I have to leave it STOCK!

Please can I add some cam,a good exhaust,a five speed OD, and a set of Bear brakes!

rocknrod
05-23-2005, 05:24 PM
07 GT500 for me.
Better say Shelby on the back when they come out;)

Merc-O-matic
05-23-2005, 05:46 PM
Since I live in the past....it's a Boss 429!

Gotta Love It! :D

MarauderMark
05-23-2005, 06:26 PM

I remember seeing in the newspapers that these cars were called Killer cars cause everyone was wraping them around telepoles.Bada$$ cars and name allways loved this car ever since i saw my 1st one .Buuuuuuut 07 gt500 i would have to take ..

jgc61sr2002
05-23-2005, 06:44 PM
Billy - I agree with you even though the 69 looks great the 07 would be for me. :)

BigMerc
05-23-2005, 07:16 PM
Funny you should mention the Boss 429 There is an unrestored Boss approx 30 miles from me and I'm in negotions to buy it. The guy who owns it has 30+ chevrolets, mostly Vettes, bought this one years ago and has no interest in it except money. Its the ONLY Ford he owns

I'm determined to bring this wayward Ford home, might be another year but it will be in my garage sooner or later.

Body is crappy but you can get all the sheetmetal you want for a 69 Ford.
is a true KK car.

I just hope all these years of being around Chevys hasnt hurt its will to run. I'll have to rehab it so it knows its a winner again

BillyGman
05-23-2005, 07:54 PM
Funny you should mention the Boss 429 There is an unrestored Boss approx 30 miles from me and I'm in negotions to buy it. The guy who owns it has 30+ chevrolets, mostly Vettes, bought this one years ago and has no interest in it except money. Its the ONLY Ford he owns

I'm determined to bring this wayward Ford home, might be another year but it will be in my garage sooner or later.

Body is crappy but you can get all the sheetmetal you want for a 69 Ford.
is a true KK car.

I just hope all these years of being around Chevys hasnt hurt its will to run. I'll have to rehab it so it knows its a winner againThat's very interesting. In that case, if I end up getting a GT500 next year, maybe you and I can run a couple times at a drag strip. It's too early to tell yet, but if I get one, I think the only mods I'd want to do to it would be different wheels and tires, along with louder mufflers most likely(although 4.10 gears would be nice too). Anyway, because of everyone's participation so far, I think this panned out to be a pretty interesting poll.

Someone else on the SVT board took a very similar poll as this one (that's where I got the idea from) and even though there's many more Mustang owners on there than there are here, the percentage of people who voted in that poll for the GT500 versus the Boss 429 are pretty close to being the same as it has been here in this poll so far.

BTW, incase anyone is interested in the raw acceleration potential of both cars, below are links to two different lists of ET's on the net, both of which list the 69 Boss 429 with 3.91 gears in the rear. One lists it as running a 13.6 ET, and the other a 14.0 ET. my guess is that those times were accompl;ished back then with factory stock biased ply tires which I'm sure were terrible for traction. So something tells me that the Boss 429 would be running in the high 12's IF it were equipped with some good drag radials. But who knows? ofcourse we can only guess what the GT500 will run also, but my guess is low 12's for that car with it's stock 3.36 gears. Just some food for thought.

http://www.execulink.com/~hamming/fast.html

http://www.geocities.com/carspecs/carspec060.html

Ezbok58a
05-23-2005, 09:35 PM
That's very interesting. In that case, if I end up getting a GT500 next year, maybe you and I can run a couple times at a drag strip. It's too early to tell yet, but if I get one, I think the only mods I'd want to do to it would be different wheels and tires, along with louder mufflers most likely(although 4.10 gears would be nice too). Anyway, because of everyone's participation so far, I think this panned out to be a pretty interesting poll.

Someone else on the SVT board took a very similar poll as this one (that's where I got the idea from) and even though there's many more Mustang owners on there than there are here, the percentage of people who voted in that poll for the GT500 versus the Boss 429 are pretty close to being the same as it has been here in this poll so far.

BTW, incase anyone is interested in the raw acceleration potential of both cars, below are links to two different lists of ET's on the net, both of which list the 69 Boss 429 with 3.91 gears in the rear. One lists it as running a 13.6 ET, and the other a 14.0 ET. my guess is that those times were accompl;ished back then with factory stock biased ply tires which I'm sure were terrible for traction. So something tells me that the Boss 429 would be running in the high 12's IF it were equipped with some good drag radials. But who knows? ofcourse we can only guess what the GT500 will run also, but my guess is low 12's for that car with it's stock 3.36 gears. Just some food for thought.

http://www.execulink.com/~hamming/fast.html

http://www.geocities.com/carspecs/carspec060.html
I think if the GT500 runs low 12s then its spinning its tires all the way down the track.:burnout:
The 03-04 Cobras with a good driver at Etown ran a 12.7 bone stock..........
I think............ My memory is starting to fail me.......:confused:
Anyone have the MM&FF article on the time with a stock 03 cobra?

Back to what I was saying, With a 5.4l supercharged no less the think has to touch the 11s.
I'm tired and can't think straight so I'll probably look at this thread tomorrow wondering what the :censor: was I thinking when I said that!?:o

BillyGman
05-23-2005, 09:54 PM
I think if the GT500 runs low 12s then its spinning its tires all the way down the track.:burnout:
The 03-04 Cobras with a good driver at Etown ran a 12.7 bone stock..........
I think............ My memory is starting to fail me.......:confused:
Anyone have the MM&FF article on the time with a stock 03 cobra?

Back to what I was saying, With a 5.4l supercharged no less the think has to touch the 11s.
I'm tired and can't think straight so I'll probably look at this thread tomorrow wondering what the :censor: was I thinking when I said that!?:oI wouldn't be too quick to disagree with your theory of high 11's with the new GT500, especially IF you put drag radials on it. I just erred on the conservative side by stating low 12's to avoid argument since the car isn't even out yet. But since I'm hoping to be able to purchase one next year(although I will have to sell the Marauder to do that since I couldn't afford to own both), I too am leaning to expectations of high 11's with that car, and that might even be accomplished with the stock 3.36 rear end gears. Only time will tell for certain I guess, but I think you're correct about that.

BTW, Joe mentioned the days when things were said to be "Boss", and I too remember those days. but I think that as long as Ford sticks to the game plan and comes out with this car being equipped with a TWIN-SCREW supercharger on top of that 5.4L powerplant equipped with the Ford GT supercar cylinder heads, it's this new GT500 that's going to be "BOSS"!!! I think the things gonna be an animal with an even wider RPM range of power than our supercharged Marauders have (be they roots, or centrifugal equipped).

MarauderTJA
05-24-2005, 01:21 PM
I know this has nothing to do with Marauders, but that's precisely the reason why I've placed this poll in the Lounge forum since it's for off-topic threads.And I know there are a number of Ford enthusiasts here....

If you had a rich uncle who told you that for your birthday NEXT year he was going to give you a choice of either a completely 100% authentically fully restored 1969 Ford Boss 429 Mustang, or a brand new 2007 Shelby GT500, and that the stipulation was that while you can drive it whatever way that you want on the track or on the street, but that you cannot sell the car that you choose, and that you have to leave it in it's factory stock condition, which car would be your choice?

I would pick the 07 GT500. What about you guys? And please feel free to also state the reason(s) for your choice. There's no right or wrong answer here. It would be a matter of preference of course. Remember, your choice can't be based on the alleged value of either car since you wouldn't be allowed to sell either one. It would have to do only with your potential driving experience with either car. :banana2:
Boss 429 I had a friend in 1973 who had a white one. At the time I had a 69 Z-28 DZ car with the two - 4 barrel cross ram intake that I found and bought when I got out of the Marine Corps in 72. Both cars were great. I went for one ride with him in his Boss. His deal, he would race ANYONE in a standing mile. That car was so fast and would continue to pull the entire mile. My little 302 small block would not hold a candle to that car. It still remains one of the most impressive cars I have ever had the privledge to ride in to this day. I would love to have one. On the other hand, I do plan on getting the new GT 500 Shelby Cobra once they are released.

gpfarrell
05-24-2005, 05:16 PM
Romance aside, I'd take the new one because I'd get to drive it lots more. With good brakes & A/C I could hammer it back and forth to work without a second thought!

Besides, my Siberian Husky's name is Shelby... so it would be fun to take Shelby in the Shelby!

BillyGman
05-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Romance aside, I'd take the new one because I'd get to drive it lots more. With good brakes & A/C I could hammer it back and forth to work without a second thought!

Besides, my Siberian Husky's name is Shelby... so it would be fun to take Shelby in the Shelby!That's pretty much my thinking too. I'm not at all sure exactly what year disc brakes came out, but I believe one of the first American cars to have them on all fours was the Corvette. But I had a 69 Plymouth Roadrunner which a previous owner had dropped a 440 engine under the hood, and it had drum brakes all around, and I remember how terrible those brakes were on that heavy car. I put Line-Lock in that car too, and the front brakes wouldn't even hold the car back during a burnout with the Line-Lock on!!!! my brother now has a 69 Buick GS, and the brakes on that thing are terible too (also has drums all the way around). And I know that even the disc brakes in my 73 Vette although better than the drum brakes, were still nothing like the factory stock discs that are on my Marauder.

So with a car as fast as the "BOSS" was, IF it had drum brakes all around, it must have been a death trap!! And even if it had discs in the front, they probably didn't work all that great. Another real strong point for the Shelby is that it's coming with 14" brembos in the front, and 13" in the back.:) I'm kinda addicted to A/C too, and I have been since the 80's. (BTW, "Shelby in the Shelby"...that's a good one:D )....

gpfarrell
05-25-2005, 06:43 AM
That's pretty much my thinking too. ....

Yeah, I hope I'm not getting old wanting cars that take good care of me... I still like stiff springs, and don't mind gently pressing the pedal to the floor to set the choke on a cold morning.

But in reality, my wife and son would be much happier riding to _____ in a comfortable car than one that's charmingly primative. I could have fun lightin' up the tires into 3rd gear in either of them, so gimmie the A/C! Really fun cars that sit in the garage most of the time aren't really fun after all.

AzMarauder
05-25-2005, 06:46 AM
There's no right or wrong answer here. It would be a matter of preference of course. Remember, your choice can't be based on the alleged value of either car since you wouldn't be allowed to sell either one. :banana2:
I would select the 2007. In stock form it will out perform the 69 hands down. The 2007 will be more comfortable, reliable, trustworthy and brave ! (ok maybe I am going overboard)

Definately the 2007!

AzMarauder
05-25-2005, 06:51 AM
Boss 429 I had a friend in 1973 who had a white one. At the time I had a 69 Z-28 DZ car with the two - 4 barrel cross ram intake that I found and bought when I got out of the Marine Corps in 72. Both cars were great. I went for one ride with him in his Boss. His deal, he would race ANYONE in a standing mile. That car was so fast and would continue to pull the entire mile. My little 302 small block would not hold a candle to that car. It still remains one of the most impressive cars I have ever had the privledge to ride in to this day. I would love to have one. On the other hand, I do plan on getting the new GT 500 Shelby Cobra once they are released.
The Boss 429 was listed my Mustangs and Ford as the fastest Ford in their TOP 25 Fastest list. They said a "mildly" modified Boss ran 12.20s. (suspension mods, slicks, etc.) Later in the article they gave off-handed props to the 2003 Mustang Cobras.

I wrote them a letter an reminded them that 2003 Mustang Cobras with less that $1500 worth of parts on them were turning sub 12 numbers in the quarter mile, and doing it on street or drag radial tires.

Memories are great.... but the muscle cars of yesteryear just can't hang with the new cars that we are getting today. The second chapter in the book of muscle car is now! Thank God I am alive AND with some financial resources so I can participate.

BillyGman
05-25-2005, 01:22 PM
Memories are great.... but the muscle cars of yesteryear just can't hang with the new cars that we are getting today. The second chapter in the book of muscle car is now! Thank God I am alive AND with some financial resources so I can participate.Yeah, and I can't help but to think that it won't last too long either, just like it didn't the last time around in the 60's, and was over by the 70's due to big brother, and the likes of Ralph Nadar who began putting the pressure on in 1965 to stop the HP wars amongst new cars. :rolleyes: I was just a child then and was oblivious to all the politics of that day, but I've read alittle bit about it since then. So something tells me that these HP wars going on now between the car manufactures might very well be over and done by 2010.

Amsoil_Dealer
05-26-2005, 04:00 PM
I voted before I read the context of the poll. I voted Boss 429 because a fully restored example would be worth more money. Of course I was thinking that one would enjoy it for a while and sell it.

I have to agree with most of the other posters though that a 2007 would be a much more civil and much safer car to drive.

Don

klmore
05-27-2005, 07:16 AM
I would love a Boss 429, but I would be afraid to drive it and really enjoy it.

I'll be ordering a GT500 when they open the order banks, unless the dealers try to charge more than sticker.:D

GA-Marauder
05-27-2005, 07:36 AM
Voted Shelby, but truth of the matter is, either one is bad to the bone.:D

BillyGman
05-27-2005, 09:16 AM
I would love a Boss 429, but I would be afraid to drive it and really enjoy it.

I'll be ordering a GT500 when they open the order banks, unless the dealers try to charge more than sticker.:D I feel the same way as you. I'm not going to pay one penny over sticker price!! If the dealers start marking them up over the MSRP, I'll just have to wait. In the longrun I guess will all boil down to how many they're going to make. The latest that I'm hearing is that Ford is saying that they will make "as many as can be sold" despite the fact that they had previously stated that the production #'s would be 7,500-10,000 per year, but who knows? Only time will tell I guess.

Amsoil_Dealer
05-27-2005, 09:57 AM
If they make "as many as can be sold" that will mean that if one is patient they can get a good buy on one of the late production models once the luster of the new concept wears off. That will certainly ruin any collector value the car may potentially have as well.

One thing about the Boss 429, they will never be any more new ones.

Don

BillyGman
05-27-2005, 10:09 AM
If they make "as many as can be sold" that will mean that if one is patient they can get a good buy on one of the late production models once the luster of the new concept wears off. That will certainly ruin any collector value the car may potentially have as well.

One thing about the Boss 429, they will never be any more new ones.

DonI have no interest whatsoever of the Ford GT500 being a "collector" car. To me that's just a waste of engineering (and money) to buy a car in hopes that it will some day be a "collector". No offense, but there are much better things to invest our $$ in than cars. Real estate for instance.....

If I buy a GT500, it will be to DRIVE it, and drive it often, and hard. I will never buy a car to rope it off in some personal garage museum just so I can show it to friends and family for the next 20 years in order to brag. I want to enjoy my cars. They were made to be driven. Not roped off.

The GT500, as well as any car of the Mustang platform is a car for the masses. It isn't a tycoon's car. Those guys can have their Lambo's, Ferrari's, or Ford GT supercars. We're talking about a $40K car here. Not a $500,000 one. And that's precisely why I indicated in my first post that this poll has nothing to do with $$ or collector value. This poll was simply about which car you would rather "DRIVE" and drive often. As for me, given the choice, I'd rather DRIVE the GT500. It's a car, not a statue or a painting I'm talking about in this poll. When I drive a car, I don't enjoy it more simply because I realize how much it's worth. If the car moves out really fast when I hit the go pedal, and it handles decent, it's dependable transportation, and has some extras like A/C, good brakes, etc., and it also looks good when I'm walking away from it, and when I'm walking towards it, then I like it, and I enjoy it.

I don't LUV driving my Marauder because I know that it's worth more $$ than my 94 Grand marquis was, or than my 82 mazda GLC was. It's because the car is a much better performer, and it looks better too, and it rides nicer.

Ezbok58a
05-27-2005, 07:45 PM
I have no interest whatsoever of the Ford GT500 being a "collector" car. To me that's just a waste of engineering (and money) to buy a car in hopes that it will some day be a "collector". No offense, but there are much better things to invest our $$ in than cars. Real estate for instance.....

If I buy a GT500, it will be to DRIVE it, and drive it often, and hard. I will never buy a car to rope it off in some personal garage museum just so I can show it to friends and family for the next 20 years in order to brag. I want to enjoy my cars. They were made to be driven. Not roped off.

The GT500, as well as any car of the Mustang platform is a car for the masses. It isn't a tycoon's car. Those guys can have their Lambo's, Ferrari's, or Ford GT supercars. We're talking about a $40K car here. Not a $500,000 one. And that's precisely why I indicated in my first post that this poll has nothing to do with $$ or collector value. This poll was simply about which car you would rather "DRIVE" and drive often. As for me, given the choice, I'd rather DRIVE the GT500. It's a car, not a statue or a painting I'm talking about in this poll. When I drive a car, I don't enjoy it more simply because I realize how much it's worth. If the car moves out really fast when I hit the go pedal, and it handles decent, it's dependable transportation, and has some extras like A/C, good brakes, etc., and it also looks good when I'm walking away from it, and when I'm walking towards it, then I like it, and I enjoy it.

I don't LUV driving my Marauder because I know that it's worth more $$ than my 94 Grand marquis was, or than my 82 mazda GLC was. It's because the car is a much better performer, and it looks better too, and it rides nicer.
I personally hate it when people buy a car soley on the purposes of keeping it in its original as new condition, just as much as I hate people with trailer queens:shake: :mad2: :depress: :down:
If I was to buy a shelby or a Marauder (in due time;) ) It would be to drive, drive hard, and to modd. Speeking of which I'm gonna have to buy a new Right Rear for the CV, until my posi is installed:burnout: :banana2:

BillyGman
05-27-2005, 11:59 PM
I personally hate it when people buy a car soley on the purposes of keeping it in its original as new condition, just as much as I hate people with trailer queens:shake: :mad2: :depress: :down:
If I was to buy a shelby or a Marauder (in due time;) ) It would be to drive, drive hard, and to modd. Speeking of which I'm gonna have to buy a new Right Rear for the CV, until my posi is installed:burnout: :banana2:Well you and I obviously have the same taste as far as what reasons we want cars for, but please let me point out that I didn't mean that I "hate" anybody who simply buys cars to let them sit around and be roped off. I don't think that the Shelby GT500 can realistically be looked at as a car just for something like that, however, I still respect Don (the "Amsoil dealer" ) for sharing his opinion, and he is entitled to it. So I myself would never say that I hate him for that. Just trying to make peace here or should I say maintain the peace and mutual respect too.;)

Ezbok58a
05-28-2005, 06:05 PM
Well I got a little carried away on that post. Idon't hate people that rope off a car but it does annoy me.

A Car was built to be driven, not to sit around for its whole life and look pretty.
Granted when I get a MM I want the previous owner to have done just that.:D

BillyGman
05-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Well I got a little carried away on that post. Idon't hate people that rope off a car but it does annoy me.

A Car was built to be driven, not to sit around for its whole life and look pretty.
Granted when I get a MM I want the previous owner to have done just that.:DYes, I can fuly agree with you there (unless ofcourse the previous owner does to it what's being done in your avatar pic!:eek: ).... (I thought that my avatar pic was bad enough:) )......

Ezbok58a
05-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Yes, I can fuly agree with you there (unless ofcourse the previous owner does to it what's being done in your avatar pic!:eek: ).... (I thought that my avatar pic was bad enough:) )......

What? Never seen Christine? That was the best part of the movie!
C'mon a demonic car on fire about to run over some one? Hot Damn I'm watching it again.

BillyGman
05-29-2005, 02:25 PM
What? Never seen Christine? That was the best part of the movie!
C'mon a demonic car on fire about to run over some one? Hot Damn I'm watching it again.LOL....I kinda thought it was from "Christine". What a great movie! It's one of my favorites.:banana2:

That burnout that Christine does while she's crushing that kid into the wall is really cool too!!!!!:burnout:

Ezbok58a
05-30-2005, 09:46 PM
Yeah, that scene was cool. I also liked this scene because of the even more wicked look the car has, even though it is smashed a bit:depress: