PDA

View Full Version : Fast GTO

mrjones
05-25-2005, 08:06 AM
I went to our local drag track Saturday night. It was a terrible mistake on my part. One of our vendors leased one of the "hospitality suites" in the tower for the season, and I had the keys. Man. Free admission, parking right up front - closer than the pits! And the view from the tower - it was a corner room that looked out over the track AND over the pits - it was great. In the comfy AC - I'll never want to go pay the $10 to sit in those hot bleachers again.

Anyway, the point of my story: There was an 04 yellow GTO there. I've seen him around town, and it sounded good, but nothing out of the ordinary. During the Test & Tune class, he came up to the line with a 12.50 on his window. I thought, "Dang, he's being a little optimistic.." He ran a 12.38. This was late in the afternoon and it was about 97 degrees. By 10 that evening, he'd run a 11.80. I didn't get to talk to the guy, but I'm wondering what he'd done to the car to get it so fast. It was a stick car, and his launches weren't that great, and he wasn't abusing the car when he shifted, so it had to be making some serious hp.

Anybody else seen these things running that fast?

FordNut
05-25-2005, 08:11 AM
I went to our local drag track Saturday night. It was a terrible mistake on my part. One of our vendors leased one of the "hospitality suites" in the tower for the season, and I had the keys. Man. Free admission, parking right up front - closer than the pits! And the view from the tower - it was a corner room that looked out over the track AND over the pits - it was great. In the comfy AC - I'll never want to go pay the $10 to sit in those hot bleachers again.

Anyway, the point of my story: There was an 04 yellow GTO there. I've seen him around town, and it sounded good, but nothing out of the ordinary. During the Test & Tune class, he came up to the line with a 12.50 on his window. I thought, "Dang, he's being a little optimistic.." He ran a 12.38. This was late in the afternoon and it was about 97 degrees. By 10 that evening, he'd run a 11.80. I didn't get to talk to the guy, but I'm wondering what he'd done to the car to get it so fast. It was a stick car, and his launches weren't that great, and he wasn't abusing the car when he shifted, so it had to be making some serious hp.

Anybody else seen these things running that fast?
I saw a yellow one gassing up in Marietta last weekend. It had a 7.5 liter transplanted into it. Sounded really wicked.

blackf0rk
05-25-2005, 08:23 AM
There's a GTO around by me that has a Turbo kit on it. He probably had that on there.

bigslim
05-25-2005, 08:36 AM
They have a lot of aftermarket stuff for it. Some have put Prochargers and MagnaChargers on them. There is the usual headers, chips and rearends. There is one over at their forum that ran a little over 9 seconds.

SergntMac
05-25-2005, 09:27 AM
Like a lot of us, I'm back into racing after many, many years have passed, and I'm surprised that most of the younger crowd I have seen lately do not powershift their manual trannys. My Lord, the time and power lost in wussy shifting. Has powershifting become a lost art due to the efficiency of an automatic tranny? Or, is it related to drivetrain durability? Which ever the case, to see their reactions to their timeslip, when they could be so much faster. Oh well, on with the show...

klmore
05-25-2005, 09:58 AM
Like a lot of us, I'm back into racing after many, many years have passed, and I'm surprised that most of the younger crowd I have seen lately do not powershift their manual trannys. My Lord, the time and power lost in wussy shifting. Has powershifting become a lost art due to the efficiency of an automatic tranny? Or, is it related to drivetrain durability? Which ever the case, to see their reactions to their timeslip, when they could be so much faster. Oh well, on with the show...
I use to powershift my 2000 Camaro SS and the clutch only lasted 8k miles. That was with many passes at the track and I was pulling 1.80 60ft times on street tires.

I wish I still had that car when my wife was expecting she couldn't get over the rollcage so I traded in for a Honda Accord. :shake:

Shaft333
05-25-2005, 10:57 AM
I wish I still had that car when my wife was expecting she couldn't get over the rollcage so I traded in for a Honda Accord. :shake:
Doh! I feel bad for you. And I love Hondas. I just love Camaros more.

BillyGman
05-25-2005, 12:44 PM
I think that if he had a supercharger or turbo under the hood, that he would've been runing low 11's. Those cars are lighter than ours are, and they have bigger engines than ours too. They have what is called an "LS6" kit available to them which includes re-worked cylinder heads, bigger camshaft, and different valve springs. I once went on the wbsite of the company that offers that kit for those engines, and iif my memmory serves me right, I believe that kit will yield about 440 HP to the wheels with 434 FT/LBS of torque, and that's w/out even doing any exhaust work. So my guess is that the guy had that "LS6" kit installed on his car. Last time I was at the track, there was a GTO which was claimed to be bone stock, and it was running 13.1's.

twolow
05-25-2005, 12:55 PM
Speed TV on their GTO special said the 04 with the 5.7 had 350 hp and the 05 with the 6.0 that your referring to puts out 400 hp.

I'd love to have one if only it looked better.

mpearce
05-25-2005, 01:06 PM
it sounded good, but nothing out of the ordinary.
Everyones being a little complicated. Go with the easy answer.

NOS

:D

-Mat

BillyGman
05-25-2005, 01:15 PM
Everyones being a little complicated. Go with the easy answer.

NOS

:D

-MatThat could be if it was a mere 75 shot. I agree with "TwoLow" though, that they are just plain UGLY.They do have serious engines though.