PDA

View Full Version : Locksmith?

duhtroll
05-27-2005, 04:06 PM
Anyone know anything about locks?

See, I have this cabinet in my classroom that houses our PA/sound system we use for performances. Problem is, we re-keyed the locks on the building this year and now all classroom keys are the same. I have discovered that any staff member can come into my room and borrow our sound equipment (without knowing how to run it) any time they want. This has happened at least twice.

It's a simple metal storage cabinet with the type of lock pictured. I don't believe anyone has keys to this (including me) but best case scenario I would like to be the only person able to get into this cabinet without spending lots of $ on a locksmith.

You'd think I'd be able to trust other staff, but I apparently can't. Does anyone have an idea as to how I can secure this cabinet so no one but myself may access it?

The sound system has been used for dances, wrestling meets, auctions, etc. without my consent, and it isn't even school property. It was purchased by the boosters for our music program, so other folks have no right to it. It's too large for me to store at home over the summer. I have, however, removed the ceramic fuse (good f***in luck finding one of those on short notice) from the amp. as a precaution.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-A

MENINBLK
05-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Pull out the lock and replace it with another lock.
Make a second set of keys for it and keep them with the Principal.
Keep a third set of keys in your house, in case you lose your first set.

If confronted by the Prinicipal, you can simple tell them this...
Its cheaper to secure the equipment NOW,
than to replace it once its missing and you needed it yesterday.
If the Principal had to give someone access to the cabinet,
make that person sign a log for what they used,
the date it was taken and the date it was replaced.
This way you know WHO is using your stuff,
WHEN it was used, and you can confront them on
WHY it had to be your equipment, and WHAT event it was.

Things like this only happen when someone thoughtlessly re-keys
every single lock in the school to match each other.

What would happen is a STUDENT got a copy of a key ?

Can you say LOOTING ???

duhtroll
05-28-2005, 08:34 AM
Funny thing - the principal is the one who has used it without asking.

He's the primary one I want to keep out.

I'll look into finding a lock of the same size/type.

thanks,
-A

CRUZTAKER
05-28-2005, 08:47 AM
I was a locksmith for a whole 6 months back when I was 22 years old. I failed one particular test and the rest is history.:P

It may be cheaper to re-key than replace.

Take the lock assembly off the cabinet (it's quite easy), and take it to a locksmith for re-keying. It shouldn't cost more than $12 or so to change the pins in the lock.

Re-install the lock, and no one knows the difference.

;)

TooManyFords
05-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Funny thing - the principal is the one who has used it without asking.

He's the primary one I want to keep out.

I'll look into finding a lock of the same size/type.

thanks,
-A
Yep, I can pick it but not repin it. Dad was a locksmith while growing up and I inherited the tools of the trade when he passed away. Let me know if you get locked out!

:)

John

martyo
05-28-2005, 11:20 AM
Yep, I can pick it but not repin it. Dad was a locksmith while growing up and I inherited the tools of the trade when he passed away. Let me know if you get locked out!

:)

John

Can you help me gain access to the vault of the bank at the corner of Fourth and Main? :P

duhtroll
05-28-2005, 11:27 AM
I bet he can as soon as they get rid of all their security in favor of one flimsy simple lock.

then again, given a hammer, so can I. what's the job pay?

-A

Ken
05-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Then search for locks. This is a woodworking site. I stopped at Rockler on my way to Cruztaker's last Saturday and bought a couple of these keyless cam locks, http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?offerings_ id=11231&filter=locks
They also carry other locksets that should work.
Ken

Captain Steve
05-30-2005, 03:14 PM
Go to the hardware store.

Buy a padlock and a bracket with some bolts.

It won't be as pretty as a new lock, but you'll keep people out for under $20.

ckadiddle
05-30-2005, 07:41 PM
I say to heck with all that technical lock stuff. Purchase and install an exploding dye pack. The one with the orange face is the culprit, and it isn't likely to happen a second time. :)

SergntMac
05-30-2005, 10:08 PM
Funny thing - the principal is the one who has used it without asking. He's the primary one I want to keep out. -A
Okay...Find a little guy with a name like Vinnie, or, Guido, or, a really big guy everyone calls Bubba, and hire either one to stand in front of your AV stuff locker, and let them do their respective "thing".

Or...

Take everything out of this locker, photograph it in correct scale, print the pics, and hang them in place...

I know you don't like scanning images, but, he is your Principal, yes? So, I think it's YOU using HIS AV stuff, K? Unless you bought all that crap with your own money...

duhtroll
05-31-2005, 05:05 AM
Nuh uh, Sarge - see above.

Boosters bought the equipment for the band, not the school. I kinda have been thinking that leaving it unlocked but with no fuse might be the way to go. Then they lug it all out and set it up (it's kinda heavy and bulky) and then it doesn't work.

-A