Mad4Macs
05-27-2005, 04:50 PM
Marauder owners need not follow this link
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosinsider/0505/27/C01-195417.htm
I'm on my 3rd set... in two years
:D

twolow
05-27-2005, 04:56 PM
I'd like Marty's opinion but I would guess this is just to protect the car manufacturers from lawsuits due to 'exploding' tires. They will point to that paragraph in the owners manual on your 6 year old ride if you try to sue because of a perfectly good tire exploding and causing damage and bodily harm.

Tires haven't changed much in the last 20 years and all of the sudden this?

SergntMac
05-27-2005, 06:40 PM
I'd like Marty's opinion but I would guess this is just to protect the car manufacturers from lawsuits due to 'exploding' tires. They will point to that paragraph in the owners manual on your 6 year old ride if you try to sue because of a perfectly good tire exploding and causing damage and bodily harm. Tires haven't changed much in the last 20 years and all of the sudden this?
I read the same text you read, twolow, but I sniff another aroma. I think tires HAVE changed.

I'm old enough to remember the "dogfight-like" brainwashing of the '70s meant to inspire us consumers to "move up" from bias ply tire technology, to a new fangled "radial" tire. The media exposure this effort caused was expensive, and painful, to both us buyers and tire sellers.

We consumers were pelted with how radial tires "looked flat" and "couldn't hold the road due to soft sidewalls", while they saved precious gasoline in lower rolling resistance, and a lot of other crap too. The brainwashing took about six years to have any real effect in the replacement market (remember that back then we had real tire stores, Firestone, Goodyear, BF Goodrich, Hoosier, Bridgestone, Dunlop, and Michellin, all had their own storefronts open to the street), and this brainwashing effort included a major castropy/failure of one very popular radial tire, the "Firestone 500" before it all took hold.

Today, you can't find any tire anywhere that's not a radial, without looking for correct tires for your restoration project. Not until a radial tire was delivered to us as an OEM fixture, did any brainwashing take hold. Once radials became rolling stock in our driveways, it rolled on from there all by itself. Ring any bells with anyone else here?

Now that I've read the same link you have, it's my impression that one of two situations are behind this, and both relate to product durability, and product longevity. I suggest that the tires we are buying today live too long, both in mileage and calendar year, and the tire manfacturers are starting to react to that.

Whether we get them with a new car, or, buy them as a first replacement, the tires we have been buying deliver longevity that lives much too long in their schedule. You see this among us here, how almost all of us sat down in this Marauder as new owners, and came to be very disappointed with OEM tire wear.

IMHO, this isn't any simple happenstance. It's what the tire companies want, because they need to sell more tires, and if what they sell today lasts too long...Well, y'all figure it out from here, eh?

fastblackmerc
05-27-2005, 06:48 PM
I read the same text you read, twolow, but I sniff another aroma. I think tires HAVE changed.

I'm old enough to remember the "dogfight-like" brainwashing of the '70s meant to inspire us consumers to "move up" from bias ply tire technology, to a new fangled "radial" tire. The media exposure this effort caused was expensive, and painful, to both us buyers and tire sellers.

We consumers were pelted with how radial tires "looked flat" and "couldn't hold the road due to soft sidewalls", while they saved precious gasoline in lower rolling resistance, and a lot of other crap too. The brainwashing took about six years to have any real effect in the replacement market (remember that back then we had real tire stores, Firestone, Goodyear, BF Goodrich, Hoosier, Bridgestone, Dunlop, and Michellin, all had their own storefronts open to the street), and this brainwashing effort included a major castropy/failure of one very popular radial tire, the "Firestone 500" before it all took hold.

Today, you can't find any tire anywhere that's not a radial, without looking for correct tires for your restoration project. Not until a radial tire was delivered to us as an OEM fixture, did any brainwashing take hold. Once radials became rolling stock in our driveways, it rolled on from there all by itself. Ring any bells with anyone else here?

Now that I've read the same link you have, it's my impression that one of two situations are behind this, and both relate to product durability, and product longevity. I suggest that the tires we are buying today live too long, both in mileage and calendar year, and the tire manfacturers are starting to react to that.

Whether we get them with a new car, or, buy them as a first replacement, the tires we have been buying deliver longevity that lives much too long in their schedule. You see this among us here, how almost all of us sat down in this Marauder as new owners, and came to be very disappointed with OEM tire wear.

IMHO, this isn't any simple happenstance. It's what the tire companies want, because they need to sell more tires, and if what they sell today lasts too long...Well, y'all figure it out from here, eh?
Well for most of us, especially the S/C'd folks will be replacing the rear tires at least every 2 or 3 years :burn: :burn:

SergntMac
05-27-2005, 07:20 PM
Well for most of us, especially the S/C'd folks will be replacing the rear tires at least every 2 or 3 years :burn: :burn:
"2-3 years" you say? Ummm...Supercharged does not only mean my MM, but refers to my VISA card too.

My last set of Pirellis for the push end in 285/45/18 cost me 912 bucks, purchased 2/15/04. Seems there is only one other production car that uses this size and it's European, so, I have to buy the tires in Canada, and I have to kibbitz my way into and out of the buy opportunity, as if it was some kind of e-bay auction.

No more of that crap, I may have had a lot of fun with these tires in this size, but this is over the top tire consumption and I am researching alternatives hell, I'll stick 100 buck white-walled Potenzas in there for the summer if I have too...