PDA

View Full Version : Pinks

Bluerauder
05-28-2005, 01:44 PM
It's been a long time since I have heard the word "Pinks" with respect to cars. :rolleyes:

Has anyone seen the commercial for the show "Pinks" on SpeedTV? It features a Mustang Boss 429 lining up against a Chevelle SS 454 on a two-lane country road. They're off .......... neck and neck for most of the commercial. It closes with the Chevy hooking a chain to the Mustang and towing it off. :(

For the younger members of this board, "Pinks" is a term that was used in the '50s, 60s, and early 70s. Not sure if it is used much at all today. When a driver lost a race, he didn't just walk away disappointed ..... He WALKED away, period ... after signing his pink slip over to the winning driver. :D Lose the race ... Lose your car. :bigcry:

Got so interested in the car race that I forgot to see when the show is running. :o

chasrein01
05-28-2005, 02:09 PM
The show is called PINKS http://www.speedtv.com/programs/326/ . If I remember the ad right it did list a time frame of 10pm and a start date in June, but the website says July.

BK_GrandMarquis
05-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Got so interested in the car race that I forgot to see when the show is running. :o

Just saw the commercial. It said that it's supposed to start on June 29th.

SergntMac
05-28-2005, 03:52 PM
You bring back memories of b*lls out street racing, where the "title", and ownership of your car is on the line. Illinois doesn't have "pink slips" as titles, neither does the license plate travel with the car, as it once did out west of me. But, "back in the day", I did see one very real "winner takes owner" street race, and it wasn't pretty. Probably more myth than fact behind "racing for pinks", but it's a grand way to get sentimental over "the good old days."

69 Resto-Mod CP
05-28-2005, 09:18 PM
My 1969 Mustang that I bought in 2000 had a real "PINK" slip for a title. I have copies somewhere...hummmm

:)

BK_GrandMarquis
06-29-2005, 07:34 PM
Anybody catch it tonight? It was between two Firebird/Trans Ams. Interesting show. I can see it getting boring in short time though. Just people sandbagging all the time.

LCSO34
06-29-2005, 08:49 PM
I watched it, and it seemed kind of stupid to me. They did basically a bracket race, but instead of time delay lights they did car lengths. There was sandbagging.

Macon Marauder
06-30-2005, 05:18 AM
I saw it and thought it was incredibly lame. The commercial for it is much better than the show itself - IMHO.

TooManyFords
06-30-2005, 05:57 AM
Yes, the show -is- really lame. They filmed a show here at the Cedar Falls Raceway last October. Sad. My friend raced a Buick Delta 88 (V6) and was supposed to go up a rock band's mini-van (pos GMC safari) and the van died en-route. Someone else stepped up to the plate with a much faster car at the track and it was no match what-so-ever. Did I already mention it was LAME?

They won't pop to cover a true musclecar for the loser so who in their right mind would try to risk a $40K collector car? Not me!

This show would have been awesome back in the 70's when the cars were fast and relatively cheap.

Alright, someone else can have the soapbox now...

Cheers!

John

Paul T. Casey
06-30-2005, 05:41 PM
I watched it, not as good as the hype, but better than most of the Wed. night fare on the tube. That Tony sure can whine, glad he lost. He didn't seem very "race savy" to me. I'll check it again, maybe it'll improve with age.

BK_GrandMarquis
06-30-2005, 07:39 PM
I saw a commmercial for the next one. It looks like it's gonna be a race between motorcycles.

BigMerc
07-01-2005, 05:41 AM
actually it wasnt a Boss 429 it was a Shelby Mustang, maybe a 428 or a 302 depending on if it was a 350 or 500 model.

They were really shadows of the early Shelbys. the Boss 429 was a monster.

the later ones werent all that impressive, except in looks

RF Overlord
07-01-2005, 07:26 AM
This show is not only lame, it's asinine and moronic...I'm surprised it's not on Spike TV... :rolleyes:

Bluerauder
07-01-2005, 08:40 AM
This show is not only lame, it's asinine and moronic...I'm surprised it's not on Spike TV... :rolleyes:
For the record, I was not endorsing the show. :rolleyes: Just asking whether anyone saw the TV commercial and remembered the term "Pinks". :D

Have not seen the show ... and based on comments here, I probably won't even bother. :rofl:

DeadVic
07-01-2005, 09:29 AM
As much as I wanted to like this show it just plain sucked. Why didn't they use the tree to spot time instead of car lengths. Could it be because the cars were so slow that we all would have laughed?!

Both of those guys supposedly own speed shops in chicago? Neither seemed to have a good handle on making their cars run well.

Unless the second episode is dramatically different I'll stop watching.