PDA

View Full Version : A question for LEO's

Mike Poore
05-31-2005, 09:43 AM
Just curious about how radar stops happen, or not. Here's the story:

I was on US 15 south this morning, in fairly light traffic, going my usual speed limit +5, in the slow lane, clear weather. The officer was using an instant on unit, so I had no warning from my detector before I got "painted". I hit the brakes and looked at the speedometer the instant the detector started howling, and, sure enough I was going 60 in the 55 zone, using the cruise control. Thing is, I was being overtaken by another motorist in a probe who was going maybe 10 MPH faster. When the radar detector went off the Probe was just past my front bumper, and never saw the Maryland Trooper.

Here's the question: since I doubt the trooper was going to stop me for 5 over, did the other motorist get lucky, due to her location in reference to where I was, since the trooper was "shooting" from my side and would have clocked me, and not her? I guess 15 over would be enough reason for a stop, under clear weather, light traffic conditions, or would most of you guys have allowed her to slide, looking for bigger fish? :)

FiveO
05-31-2005, 09:53 AM
Radar, as you know, has a certain degree of operator expertise involved. If there is more than one vehicle then the officer has to decide, based on what he sees and hears, who is actually speeding.

I had one stop where I got a semi coming at me at 60. All of a sudden the radar jumped to 88 and the audio tone jumped back and forth...low/high/low/high. I looked behind the semi and observed a vehicle coming up on it at a high rate of speed. I got the 88 locked in and pulled that person over and wrote the ticket. I can go to court and easily explain the audio tone differences and visual observations.

As far as your story goes, the person probably got lucky. If I couldn't explain, perfectly, the stop...I wouldn't stop or write tickets.

MI2QWK4U
05-31-2005, 09:53 AM
What were you hit with? Laser or conventional radar? There are some particular make and model paints that confuse the laser for some reason. Radar picks up the largest object in its path, so it is theoretcally possible for you to be doing 150 mph as you pass a semi tractortrailor doing 70, and if you were hit with radar at the right angle, it would only register the trucks speed.
Another thing that makes radar/laser detectors useless in my book, is the use of the trigger switch the officer may use. He may visually see your vehicle moving "faster" than the rest, and just wait untill you are directly in the laser/radar's sights. At that point the device is on hold mode, untill the officer trips the switch, sending the pulse, which is read by your detector, but its too late, he has his speed reading. Some scout cars are equipped with front and rear mounted radar/laser units as well.

Bluerauder
05-31-2005, 10:10 AM
I was on US 15 south this morning, in fairly light traffic, going my usual speed limit +5, in the slow lane, clear weather. The officer was using an instant on unit, so I had no warning from my detector before I got "painted". I hit the brakes and looked at the speedometer the instant the detector started howling, and, sure enough I was going 60 in the 55 zone, using the cruise control.
Ya know, Mike ... you would line your wheels with tin foil like we heard in the story ... you would be invisible and wouldn't have to worry about these questions!!! :rofl:

Mike Poore
05-31-2005, 10:21 AM
What were you hit with? Laser or conventional radar? There are some particular make and model paints that confuse the laser for some reason. Radar picks up the largest object in its path, so it is theoretcally possible for you to be doing 150 mph as you pass a semi tractortrailor doing 70, and if you were hit with radar at the right angle, it would only register the trucks speed.
Another thing that makes radar/laser detectors useless in my book, is the use of the trigger switch the officer may use. He may visually see your vehicle moving "faster" than the rest, and just wait untill you are directly in the laser/radar's sights. At that point the device is on hold mode, untill the officer trips the switch, sending the pulse, which is read by your detector, but its too late, he has his speed reading. Some scout cars are equipped with front and rear mounted radar/laser units as well.
It was Radar, as my pasport knows the difference, also, the officer is Maryland State Police; as professional and well trained as they come. So, from what you're saying, since the trooper was on my side and the MM's bigger than the Probe he prolly didn't clock her at all. I'm guessing you would have stopped her for 15 over the limit? Lucky girl.

PJR
05-31-2005, 03:57 PM
When the Radar 'only tracks the bigger target' it is most likely an older radar unit. The newer (last 8 years or so) units are a lot easier to operate, if trained properly. The Kustom Eagle can track targets in front of and behind the patrol vehicle, in moving and stationary mode. The scenario described by Five O is what you will typically see with multiple targets of different sizes. (The audio 'jumping’ from one part of the received signal to another) If the Officer is trained and operating the unit properly, it's pretty easy to distinguish between targets. My guess is that he did get a signal from the Probe, but decided not to stop for one reason or another.

<o:p></o:p>

FYI; the 'beam' starts fairly narrow when it leaves the antenna and widens the farther it gets away from the antenna. There is actually a mathematical formula to figure out beam width at different distances. A Radar detector is only an insurance policy. I know of no product that will keep you from getting zapped. (Except of course, not speeding)

<o:p></o:p>

<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--> <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--> Officers that operate Radar frequently almost always use the 'hold' feature. Once activated, it takes a fraction of a second to read and lock a speed.