PDA

View Full Version : Color Laser Printer for $199?

Donny Carlson
06-01-2005, 07:43 PM
Yeah, only CompUsa is sold out of them. I don't know what happened to the prices of color laser printers, but they have shot down like crazy.

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200014+42949668 45&Ne=301181&Ns=display%5Fprice%7C0#sort1

I was going to go with another one of the printers they had in stock, but Dell ran a Memorial Day sale on their new line of color laser printers, so as of today, this little beauty is on its way to me:

http://img.dell.com/images/global/products/printers/dell_3000cn_series.jpg
Dell 3000cn

$389, free shipping, and has a network interface. Will hook right into my home wireless network. I can be sitting on the throne reading Mac's posts, click a button, and whoosh, send it to the printer for later reading. I wonder if the paper drawer holds enough to print out one of Mac's posts? I could always buy the accessory 500 sheet drawer, I guess.

txkent
06-01-2005, 07:55 PM
I have one of these on the network at my office. The 4 toners and the drum as a set will cost you more than the printer.:( Also, the only place you can get the toners and drums that I could find was Dell.

MENINBLK
06-01-2005, 08:29 PM
Be careful how much you use the printer.
The starter cartridges are only good for a few hundred pages.
They aren't full cartridges.

When they run out, you buy a new printer !!!

Donny Carlson
06-01-2005, 08:47 PM
I have one of these on the network at my office. The 4 toners and the drum as a set will cost you more than the printer.:( Also, the only place you can get the toners and drums that I could find was Dell.
True, but then this is usually the case no matter what you buy. Granted, I can't buy Dell carts at Staples, but then Dell's service is pretty good. I can get replacements carts shipped same day, delivered UPS ground within 3.

This is replacing an HP Business Injet 2200. Not only are the carts hard to find, but they cost almost the same as laser carts.

Donny Carlson
06-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Be careful how much you use the printer.
The starter cartridges are only good for a few hundred pages.
They aren't full cartridges.

When they run out, you buy a new printer !!!
The starter carts are rated 1,000 pages on color, 2,000 on black. Replacement carts are double that.

I don't anticipate needind new carts for some months, as I don't use my home printer a whole lot other than check writing, printouts of online transactions, and the occasional letter.

I am keenly aware that replacement carts are expensive. That's part of the game, no?

MENINBLK
06-01-2005, 09:10 PM
The starter carts are rated 1,000 pages on color, 2,000 on black. Replacement carts are double that.

I don't anticipate needind new carts for some months, as I don't use my home printer a whole lot other than check writing, printouts of online transactions, and the occasional letter.

I am keenly aware that replacement carts are expensive. That's part of the game, no?

That's where the profit is.
It's not in the printer.
The same goes for Inkjet Printers.

martyo
06-02-2005, 03:16 AM

Yep. The ink is called a "consumable" and its where the companies make their money. The printers are either sold as "loss leaders" or for very low profit.

God Bless Free Trade!

Mike Poore
06-02-2005, 03:53 AM
Barb got Dell's latest ink jet, ptinter/copier/scanner/fax/coffeemaker/toaster, and all-in-one bread machine, with her new Dimentson whatever, ...free. It's made by Lexmark; but guess what? Only Dell has an ink bottle(s) for the %#*$ thing. Ever so often she gets a message: "It's time to buy ink". :mad2:

txkent
06-02-2005, 05:13 AM
yeah... :) It is part of the game. Didn't mean to come off as a negative Nelly. :) Our issue was the primary user was printing a lot of Excel spreadsheets with a few colored cells. She ran out of blue in about 400 pages - when I called Dell they told me that the estimated page count was based either on 1% or 2% coverage... something crazy low. It equated to like 8 lines of double spaced text. The output is very nice - this printer is really good for home use, but doesn't belong in an office that prints a lot of stuff. We ended up leasing a huge Savin color laser for our color needs... (and a 42" HP plotter... that when nobody else is around is going to get a workout from me.)