PDA

View Full Version : S/Ced Marauder vs. Ford Lightning:

BillyGman
06-03-2005, 03:19 AM
For whatever reason, I've only seen one of those Ford Lightning trucks in my homestate, and it was never on the street, but in the parking lot where I work. But lastnight (12:00 midnight on a weekday) him and I went at it on a wide open highway without traffic after getting out of work. He went to pass me and he hammered it. I had already clicked off the O/D in anticipation of his move, but I didn't hit the throttle until he was right on side of me, and he already had the momentum, so he was able to get by me, but I was right at his rear quarterpanel, and that didn't last long for him. After about 4 seconds, I began gaining on him, and three more seconds after that I passed him, and he then gave up. His exhaust was pretty quite, so I assume that his truck was mechanically stock. Although, he has a custom grill on it, along with aftermarket wheels. Fast truck though.

martyo
06-03-2005, 04:55 AM
Fast truck though.

Yep, they are. I love those trucks. Make mine blue please.

MarauderMark
06-03-2005, 05:28 AM
Fun ai'nt it.. :D
Theres a black one the runs @ Cecil county turning low 11's .it's from Johnny lightning performance..
One day me and wifey were comming home from eating out we were crusing on rt 40 @ the speed limit when this red lightning comes flying up to us riding next to us laughin(two male rednecks going hunting)welp off goes the o/d then i hear his S/cer whine up and i nail it..He never had a chance but it was cool that he kept tryin . i was letting him get ahead then passin i did this about twice .then he comes up with window down and says "fast car" i replied "yeah i know" and he says (why i don't know) "is that your girl friend"? and i replied with " yeah is that yours"? they laughed gave me thumbs up and i let em go...Now that was fun....

mrjones
06-03-2005, 06:41 AM
[QUOTE=BillyGman]For whatever reason, I've only seen one of those Ford Lightning trucks in my homestate, ... His exhaust was pretty quiet...

I always think its funny at the races on FFW, how there are many Lightnings out there running even down into the 10's, and they're almost always quiet. The only thing you here is the whine of the supercharger. It's funny cause they're waxing all these L O U D Mustangs.

maraudernkc
06-03-2005, 06:48 AM
Billy, what is the diffrence between the Lightning blower and your Marauder Eaton blower?

For whatever reason, I've only seen one of those Ford Lightning trucks in my homestate, and it was never on the street, but in the parking lot where I work. But lastnight (12:00 midnight on a weekday) him and I went at it on a wide open highway without traffic after getting out of work. He went to pass me and he hammered it. I had already clicked off the O/D in anticipation of his move, but I didn't hit the throttle until he was right on side of me, and he already had the momentum, so he was able to get by me, but I was right at his rear quarterpanel, and that didn't last long for him. After about 4 seconds, I began gaining on him, and three more seconds after that I passed him, and he then gave up. His exhaust was pretty quite, so I assume that his truck was mechanically stock. Although, he has a custom grill on it, along with aftermarket wheels. Fast truck though.

Bluerauder
06-03-2005, 07:15 AM
For whatever reason, I've only seen one of those Ford Lightning trucks in my homestate, and it was never on the street, but in the parking lot where I work.
Could be that we got Connecticutts' share down here in Virginia. Lot's of Lightnings running around here. :D

BillyGman
06-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Could be that we got Connecticutts' share down here in Virginia. Lot's of Lightnings running around here. :DYeah, it must be.:) This one was real nice looking. It was black. my favorite color. :D

MikesMerc
06-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Billy, what is the diffrence between the Lightning blower and your Marauder Eaton blower?

Nothing....its the same Eaton M112 unit.

The snout is different, as is the rear inlet. But the actual compressor is the same.

BillyGman
06-03-2005, 11:23 AM
Billy, what is the diffrence between the Lightning blower and your Marauder Eaton blower?I think the snout is longer on the Trilogy set-up, but they're both the Eaton M112 supercharger. I'm bot sure what boost pressure the Lightnings run at out of the factory. I'm sure that Logan knows since he used to own one. but they're a bit heavier than the marauders are, and ofcourse the headers I have help out a little too, as does the aftermarket torque converter. But it was very close. I passed him, but it was very slowly that I did.

BlackHole
06-03-2005, 05:20 PM
I think the snout is longer on the Trilogy set-up, but they're both the Eaton M112 supercharger. I'm bot sure what boost pressure the Lightnings run at out of the factory. I'm sure that Logan knows since he used to own one. but they're a bit heavier than the marauders are, and ofcourse the headers I have help out a little too, as does the aftermarket torque converter. But it was very close. I passed him, but it was very slowly that I did.

Stock is 8 PSI But for 4760 LBS and doing close to mid 13's stock you take a lot of people by suprise :baaa: :baaa:

BlackHole
06-03-2005, 05:24 PM
Also you have to add the extra 49 cubes of displacement the Lightning has in its engine bay. and the 450 Ft Lbs of torque at 3250 RPM stock Somthing most S/C MM's have trouble duplicating. My L has at least 400 HP and 500 Ft Lbs but I can't honestly say that unless I can take it to a dyno.

Mike Poore
06-03-2005, 07:45 PM
Stock is 8 PSI But for 4760 LBS and doing close to mid 13's stock you take a lot of people by suprise :baaa: :baaa:Sorry Billy, a little off thread: but I'm wondering what a Trilogy setup would do to my 4.6 F-150 Lightning look-alike. ...and, I gots me a 5sp in it! ;)

BillyGman
06-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Blackhole, thanks for those stats on the Lightning. I didn't realize that you own one. Very interesting vehicles. Even though I beat him, his truck did give me a pretty good run, and I agree with you that this speaks of the greater torque output that those engines have, which is a direct result of the greater displacement of the Lightning 5.4L engines. The only replacement for displacement is a power adder (be it a supercharger, turbocharger, or Nitrous oxide) but when the engine of greater displacement also has a power adder too, then that gives that bigger engine the advantage. The fact that this guy's Lightning came so very close ro keeping up with my Marauder despite the disadvantage he has of having several hundred pounds more weight, and 1.5 PSI less boost than my engine is geatting speaks of the greater engine displacement.

Mike Poore, what year is your F-150? Because if it's one of the newer ones that have the three valves per cylinder, then Trilogy has recently come out with a supercharger kit for those trucks. However, if it isn't a tyhree valve engine, then I don't think that Trilogy will be able to help you with a complete kit. But as far as the Eaton supercharger goes, it will get your truck in the 13 second bracket along with atleast 370 HP to the wheels I'm sure. Here's a link to the place that handles the aftermarket Eaton superchargers, but I'm not sure if they sell complete kits. You'll have to look around their website.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/

If you want even more power for your truck, then below is another possibility....

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/default.asp

BlackHole
06-04-2005, 03:37 AM
Theres also another factor our 4.6 has 1000 more RPM's to play with over the 5.4 Stock fuel cut off for a L is I think 5500 RPM's vs our 6000 some. Sorry don't know were my MM or L brochures are at the moment. So I can't give exact stats.

Logan
06-04-2005, 06:39 AM
The only thing the Lightning supercharger and the trilogy unit has in common with one another is they're both made by eaton and have the same displacement. That's where the similarities end. The case, inlets, snout, everything is different.

I loved my Lightning, I keep always think about getting another one... My problem is I like too many vehicles. :)

MikesMerc
06-04-2005, 10:14 AM
The only thing the Lightning supercharger and the trilogy unit has in common with one another is they're both made by eaton and have the same displacement. That's where the similarities end. The case, inlets, snout, everything is different.

If I may be so bold...:)

I can see this point mechanically speaking for someone asking about swapping parts and fitment in particular. In this case, when it comes to a power production question, as this thread is headed, the blowers are virtually identical.

Case design differences are very small application to application and the drive system and rotors are identical. And rotor size and design dictate flow rates more than anything else. Its the special "twisted roots" in the M112 that makes it special too. That's why boost production (more specifically when and where in blower rpm is CFM supplied) is surprisingly similar among all the M112 based applications (Cobra, Lightning, MM).

BillyGman
06-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Yeah, same model # (112) same 60 degree twisted rotors, same 112 cubic inches of displacement (1.7L). So from a power potential comparisant, they're the same(as Mike has indicated), whereas from a interchangeability comparisant, they're not the same at all (as Logan indicated). But allow me to ask Blackhole and/or Logan(or anyone else in the know about Lightnings) about one other thing: why is it that the Lightning engine has less revs, and a redline of only 5,500 RPM's? It must be because of the cylinder head design, right? Are they 2-valve per cylinder set-ups? I'm sure it also has to do with the camshafts SVT used for this vehicle too. Since it is a truck, they must have chosen cam lobe profiles that enhanced low-end grunt, more than high RPM HP.

Logan
06-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Longer stroke, cam profile, 2V head.

Nuff said.

BlackHole
06-04-2005, 04:45 PM
Yeah, same model # (112) same 60 degree twisted rotors, same 112 cubic inches of displacement (1.7L). So from a power potential comparisant, they're the same(as Mike has indicated), whereas from a interchangeability comparisant, they're not the same at all (as Logan indicated). But allow me to ask Blackhole and/or Logan(or anyone else in the know about Lightnings) about one other thing: why is it that the Lightning engine has less revs, and a redline of only 5,500 RPM's? It must be because of the cylinder head design, right? Are they 2-valve per cylinder set-ups? I'm sure it also has to do with the camshafts SVT used for this vehicle too. Since it is a truck, they must have chosen cam lobe profiles that enhanced low-end grunt, more than high RPM HP.

Nope it has to do with the longer stroke of the 5.4 over the 4.6's I think the 5.4 has a 4.1 something stroke vs. the 3.55 of the 4.6

Just like the Boss war of 1970 the 302 had less stroke but more RPM's and the 429 had more stroke but less RPM's with a little tuning the 302 could give a good run with a stock 429 Blue cresent.

BlackHole
06-04-2005, 04:48 PM
1 other thing the only thing SVT added to the Lightning 5.4 over the reg 5.4 is the Eaton M112 /Intercooler /8.5 to 1 cylenders /forged crank/Heavy duty oil cooler/and a recalibered ECU. thats it all the rest is stock and the same for both engines.

But what I like is I can swap out the crank/Cyl heads/cylenders/Altenator from the MM to the L and vise versa thats how these engines got the name Modular as Ford wanted to use everything possable between engines

QWK SVT
06-04-2005, 10:09 PM
For whatever reason, I've only seen one of those Ford Lightning trucks in my homestate, and it was never on the street, but in the parking lot where I work. But lastnight (12:00 midnight on a weekday) him and I went at it on a wide open highway without traffic after getting out of work. He went to pass me and he hammered it. I had already clicked off the O/D in anticipation of his move, but I didn't hit the throttle until he was right on side of me, and he already had the momentum, so he was able to get by me, but I was right at his rear quarterpanel, and that didn't last long for him. After about 4 seconds, I began gaining on him, and three more seconds after that I passed him, and he then gave up. His exhaust was pretty quite, so I assume that his truck was mechanically stock. Although, he has a custom grill on it, along with aftermarket wheels. Fast truck though.Billy - Good kill :up:

You definitely had the advantage, if you started from Highway speeds. The aerodynamics of a brick do nothing for a truck at 100mph+. All the extra torque comes in handy from a dig, tho:burnout:

I always think its funny at the races on FFW, how there are many Lightnings out there running even down into the 10's, and they're almost always quiet. The only thing you here is the whine of the supercharger. It's funny cause they're waxing all these L O U D Mustangs.No gains from exhaust on these things. A Catback is just for sound purposes. I was willing to spend to hear that low pitched rumble and to hape a decent set of tips poking out the side.

My L has at least 400 HP and 500 Ft Lbs but I can't honestly say that unless I can take it to a dyno.Blackhole, get that eaton ported, and then dyno - you'll be pleased... You'll also say goodbye to the 13's (and traction)

BillyGman
06-04-2005, 10:17 PM
Billy - Good kill :up:

You definitely had the advantage, if you started from Highway speeds. The aerodynamics of a brick do nothing for a truck at 100mph+. Allt eh extra torque comes in handy from a dig, tho:burnout:

Being a Lightning owner yourself, I appreciate your comments. What you've stated about the difference in aerodynamics is a good point, and one that's well taken. However, I'm sure that his stock gears and my 4.56 gears was an advantage for him on the highway where this took place (70+ MPH),and that probably offsets the aerodynamic thing. BTW, I found out who this guy is, and had a long talk with him about this. His truck is completely stock as I suspected. He admitted that he was very surprised when I caught up with him and passed him while he had the go pedal buried. He wanted to know what I did to my car to get it to go like that. So I told him. Either way, very fast trucks those Lightnings are.

QWK SVT
06-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Being a Lightning owner yourself, I appreciate your comments. What you've stated about the difference in aerodynamics is a good point, and one that's well taken. However, I'm sure that his stock gears and my 4.56 gears was an advantage for him on the highway where this took place (70+ MPH),and that probably offsets the aerodynamic thing. BTW, I found out who this guy is, and had a long talk with him about this. His truck is completely stock as I suspected. He admitted that he was very surprised when I caught up with him and passed him while he had the go pedal buried. He wanted to know what I did to my car to get it to go like that. So I told him. Either way, very fast trucks those Lightnings are.Curious - where do you feel the power start to fall off? I suspect it's really just running out of gear (i.e. getting close to redline in 4th), rather than an aero or power issue, right?

PS - Lightning's pull pretty good, even at speed (autobahn video)
http://www.nloc.net/~bigd/Vids/Lautobaun.wmv

Rider90
06-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Friend of mine in a Blue Lightning dragged a T/A at Union Grove, won, and took home $200 :D

I think the Lightings are very cool, but I was severely disapointed in Gran Turismo 4 - I have an L with everything done to it and it isn't that impressive, but then again I might be mentally comparing it to my 970+HP Viper or 960+HP Cien :burnout:

BillyGman
06-04-2005, 11:03 PM
Curious - where do you feel the power start to fall off? I suspect it's really just running out of gear (i.e. getting close to redline in 4th), rather than an aero or power issue, right?

I never take my car past 120 MPH, and the power still doesn't fall of at that speed, however, with the 4.56's, I need overdrive at that speed. However it's rare that I go that fast. At the dragstrip I don't use overdrive, and my trap speed is 114 MPH, and that's at about 6,200 RPM's, and it feels like it's just beginning to fall off around there. That's why the 4.56's are best for the quartermile.

BillyGman
07-30-2005, 04:25 PM
BTW, I still think that the increased stroke of the 5.4L engine is NOT the main factor in the redline being lower. Just look at the powerband and redline of the Ford GT supercar 5.4L engine which has the same bore and stroke as the Lightning engine, but the cylinder heads and camshafts are different on the GT supercar engine. It must be simply because the 5.4L engine on the Lightning was originally and mostly used in pick-up trucks, and therefore the camshaft profiles must be designed for power lower down in the RPM scale.

The cylinder head intake runners must be small also in order to enhance low-end power. I believe that the powerband is dictated more by cylinder head design as well as camshaft profiles than it is by the the length of the stroke.

BlackHole
07-30-2005, 10:20 PM
Don't forget Billy your comparing a SOHC vs. DOHC and no matter how big you make the valves on a SOHC head the DOHC well flow more air with in reason. It's just basic engineering more surface area equals more fuel/air intake and exhaust scavaging. thats 1 reason the GT supercar makes more power the other is it's boost is higher also over the L. Not arguing just posting a few facts. :coolman:

Oh and also forgot that the S/C on the GT is larger and a twin screw design over the Roots Eaton on the L so its more efficant over the HEATON on the L

BillyGman
07-31-2005, 02:17 AM
Don't forget Billy your comparing a SOHC vs. DOHC and no matter how big you make the valves on a SOHC head the DOHC well flow more air with in reason. It's just basic engineering more surface area equals more fuel/air intake and exhaust scavaging. thats 1 reason the GT supercar makes more power the other is it's boost is higher also over the L. Not arguing just posting a few facts. :coolman:

Oh and also forgot that the S/C on the GT is larger and a twin screw design over the Roots Eaton on the L so its more efficant over the HEATON on the LLOL...the "Heaton" :D ...yeah, your points are valid, and therefore well taken my friend. I'm sure that the GT supercar cylinder heads also have different camshafts than the Lightning heads do, so I'm sure that it's a number of things at work.