PDA

View Full Version : "Type R" Pontiac?

RF Overlord
06-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Was in the local Pontiac/Buick/GMC dealer yesterday scheduling a recall repair for my company van...wandered into the showroom to kill some time...saw a bright red 2-door with "dual" exhaust...looked like a Grand Am, but with real duals? It wasn't a GTO...hmmm. Then I saw on the rear fascia an "SC/T" badge...WOOHOO! another blower offering from Pontiac! I looked at the window sticker, but didn't find the word "supercharged" anywhere...I asked the sales-droid about it, but, as usual he had no idea what I was talking about until I pointed out the SC/T badge...he walked over and proceeded to read the window sticker..."Oh yeah, here it is...it's got RAM AIR. That's sort of like supercharging"...I thanked him for his time and left...

Turns out it WAS a Grand Am...with the:

...wait for it...

SC/T Solid Value Appearance Pkg* (Mfr. Code: BYP)
Exhaust Tips, Chrome
Radio Equipment, XM Feature
Seat Trim, Leather Surfaced
Wheels, Chrome Tech Torqued Aluminum (WTF?)
Hood, Composite Performance (WTF?!)
Spoiler, Rear Aero Wing

:lol: :rolleyes: :shake:

I'm a-gonna git me one o' them performance hoods fer my Sable and blow ALL y'all inta th' weeds!

prchrman
06-08-2005, 12:09 PM
No gold trimmed vinyl top????

RF Overlord
06-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Willie, I believe the vinyl top is only available with the "Bluehair Edition"...

prchrman
06-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Willie, I believe the vinyl top is only available with the "Bluehair Edition"...

Yeah...but the "BHE" also has remote located oxygen tank, turn signal off timer, audio destination reminder ever 3 min., cane and or walker holder, built-in dash pill dispenser and Cracker Barrel homing device...willie

Bluerauder
06-08-2005, 12:36 PM
...wait for it...

SC/T Solid Value Appearance Pkg* (Mfr. Code: BYP)
Hey, sometimes appearance is everything !!! :rolleyes:

Ain't this what used to be known as "All Show and No Go" ???? :D

Hey, what's with all the old folks comments ??? ;) Hey Mike, looks like it's time to fire up the barbeque grill again. :rofl:

RF Overlord
06-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Cracker Barrel homing deviceAnd you oughta know about "Cracker", you ol' woodhick...

:lol: :lol:

Mike Poore
06-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Hey, sometimes appearance is everything !!! :rolleyes:

Ain't this what used to be known as "All Show and No Go" ???? :D

Hey, what's with all the old folks comments ??? ;) Hey Mike, looks like it's time to fire up the barbeque grill again. :rofl:Thanks Charlie, I did NOT like the direction that was headed. That Bob's been in a snit ever since I got him and Slim confused. :rolleyes:

twolow
06-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Hey, I like Cracker Barrel!

BTW, the BHE also needs auto emergency shutdown when the gas pedel is fully depressed. Whenever the gas is fully depressed it usually is a indication that the car is running over innocent people in a public place while the driver is in a state of confusion.

Curb sensors would also be nice to let the driver aware that he is fixing to drive the car into and over the parking place curb taking out the handicapped parking sign in the process.

RF Overlord
06-08-2005, 01:01 PM
That Bob's been in a snit ever since I got him and Slim confused. How can you get us confused? He's the one who sounds a little taller on the radio...

wchain
06-08-2005, 01:26 PM
http://www.moteurnature.com/zvisu/2003/bibendum/mercurydavis2.jpg

Breadfan
06-08-2005, 01:47 PM
ROFL I guess I'm the resident Grand Am expert here... SC/T was a concept, had a blower, was a nice car. Now though the SC/T in production terms consists of a Ram Air hood, side skirts, and taller rear deck spoiler.

BTW, I say I'm the resident Grand Am expert here as I traded in my 2001 GT for my Marauder just last week. :)

All GT models had dual outlet dual tips...and a 3400 V6, only made like 180hp though. There are some tweaks out there, main ones being headers, exhaust, intake. Supercharger kits are available with the same Eaton model used in the SC/T prototype.

The most people seem to get out of them though is about 240whp. Some of the more invovled twekakers have upgraded their transmissions, put in the limited slip diff, supercharged, milled heads, p&p heads/manifolds, header, etc. Even then on the Grand Am forum the top 1/4 speed was only in the 13's....maybe 13.27 if I recall.

One reason I ditched the Grand Am was GM's inability to design a good lower intake manifold gasket. Mine was on the way out at 82,000 miles. My sister has an '02 and now has 49,000 miles. I just did her LIM gasket...this was the 2nd time it's been replaced.

Since I knew mine would eventually go bad that job swayed me to trade in...heres why: http://www.grandampc.com/leak (I did hers in 2 days.)

And GM wonders why they're in so much trouble financially. :)

Personally I think the car looks nice. I'll update this thread with my website with pics - I got some pictures of the car just before selling it. Had 17" wheels and eibach springs with KYB struts - had a nice look to it.

Did some other minor things too - all in all not a bad car. My sisters is a lemon, mine was pretty good though.

As for the 180hp, in stock form my Grand Am is not much slower than a stock Marauder - depending on what stats you check they're pretty even. Just...the Marauder appears to respond much better to upgrades...

Shaft333
06-09-2005, 05:45 AM
Meh. FYI Type-R isn't an appearance package.

Although a lot of kids do believe that the aftermarket stickers are good for extra ponies and G's in the corners.

N40GL
06-09-2005, 06:33 AM
Hood, Composite Performance (WTF?!)

That Composite Performance Hood is really, <i><b>really</i></b> fast!

(Of course, attaching it to the car is what slows it down so much.) :lol:

RF Overlord
06-09-2005, 06:37 AM
a lot of kids do believe that the aftermarket stickers are good for extra ponies and G's in the corners.Apparently Pontiac does, too.

Mike Poore
06-09-2005, 02:00 PM
Apparently Pontiac does, too.
Bob, do you recall the Trans Am with the chicken sticker on the hood? It's become a tradition at GM. :rofl:

Although I guess we shouldn't laugh too loudly, as I'm trying to forget the infamous King Cobra.:eek:

Breadfan
06-09-2005, 02:17 PM
Yeah sadly GM isn't the first, or the last, to make performance appearance packages. Nowadays though it seems odd to do so...

One could say while the SC/T hood is not functional it may allow extra engine cooling by venting the hot engine bay heat.... :)

Atleast it's not a Scion...

ncmm
06-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Curb sensors would also be nice to let the driver aware that he is fixing to drive the car into and over the parking place curb taking out the handicapped parking sign in the process.
I was thinking curb feelers myself :lol: and a Hot Wire Flame Thrower Kit
http://www.shrunkenheads.com/Products/cart/default.asp?catID=1&SubCatID=27&itemID=33

Donny Carlson
06-09-2005, 04:38 PM
A Grand Prix with a supercharged V6. One of my coworkers owns one. The GTP:

http://www.pontiac.com/grandprix/images/enlarge_image102.jpg

And the GXP, with a 5.3 L V8 rated 303 HP. Comes with cross drilled rotors, Bilstein shocks, tap-up/down 4 speed auto trans with OD, 18" polished wheels, and HUD. Nice car, except for it being FWD.

http://www.pontiac.com/grandprix/images/enlarge_image103.jpg

metroplex
06-10-2005, 05:08 AM
The Ram Air hood used to be an aftermarket option for the Grand Prix GTP (Supercharged). I then started seeing it on SE MI roads in Grand Mas. I didn't realize it was an OEM factory option (functional at that) and thought it was just styling appliques.