PDA

View Full Version : Drove a Hemi Charger

Tallboy
06-10-2005, 08:36 AM
Stopped by my buddy's Dodge dealership last night to pick up the Neon. [Yeah, Yeah, I know. It's our "disposable car"] I hung out there for a while, bs-ing with the guys I used to work with. I made an off-handed comment about "all the Hot-Rods around here"; they had a couple STR-10 Ram trucks, a copperhead Viper, an ACR SRT-4, some Magnum R/Ts, and a couple Hemi Chargers. I told my buddy [who owns and runs it] I wanted to take a Hemi Charger out for a spin once the "magic" wore off. He handed me the keys to one, and tossed me a dealer plate.

I smiled and said "see you in a half-hour."

I spent the next 30 minutes making a direct comparison to my car, before and after the blower install. This Charger is a nice car. Comfortable, [I'm 6'5" and couldn't put the seat all the way back!], tight and rattle-free. Rides nice, handles nice. Simple, well-laid-out interior, and a nice sunroof. I don't like the fact that it has no more instrumentation than our Neon. "Guages? We need some stinkin' guages!" I would describe the inside of the car as both "unoffensive" and "uninspiring." It's just there, and is nice. no more.

Driving around with the sunroof open and stereo off, you can hear the exhaust, but only on aceeleration, and then, just barely. What you do hear sounds good. Visibilty is good, and I like the high cowl. Makes you feel like you're in a substantial car, which it is. The styling of this car is much better recieved in person, than a magazine photo. If you have a chance, give one a good "walk around".

Now to the "good part"...

Dead punch acceleration: Unimpressive. Don't get me wrong, it's no slouch, but you get no tirespin, just a 'chirp" and then the T/C kicks in. You cannot shut it off completely. I did half a dozen dead punch acceleration runs. Brake-Torque burnouts ain't happenin'. The computer freaks out, and the tires spin a half-rotation and stop, half-rotation and stop. Annoying. This car is by no means underpowered, but a stoplight-superstar it is not.

I am now awaiting the SRT version of this car. I will report back.

If you have a bone-stock Marauder, I wouldn't go around making fun of these cars, but I wouldn't be afraid of them, either. If the guy wants to "go", you can stay with him.

If you have a tune and/or gears, etc., You WILL take him. Not by much, but you will NOT lose.

If you have any variety of a supercharged car, you will absolutely annihilate him. You will beat him so badly he may never recover. Keep a box of kleenex in the car, and toss him some at the next light.

Bluerauder
06-10-2005, 08:46 AM
If you have a bone-stock Marauder, I wouldn't go around making fun of these cars, but I wouldn't be afraid of them, either. If the guy wants to "go", you can stay with him.

If you have a tune and/or gears, etc., You WILL take him. Not by much, but you will NOT lose.

If you have any variety of a supercharged car, you will absolutely annihilate him. You will beat him so badly he may never recover. Keep a box of kleenex in the car, and toss him some at the next light.
Thanks for the assessment and the write-up !!! :up: Time to offer your services to one of those car magazines for some quality insight !! :D

twolow
06-10-2005, 08:50 AM
Mine's stock so I keep the kleenex for myself when i lose :depress:

RoyLPita
06-10-2005, 08:58 AM
That's an idea. Better yet, when you win big time hold out 1 tissue at the next light and say, "Do you need this????!"

Fourth Horseman
06-10-2005, 08:59 AM
I keep going back and forth on what I think of the car's styling. Haven't seen one in person yet, but I wish the trunk was longer. The car looks "stubby" like the 300.

I'm definitely thinking I should go take a look and test drive, though. Good review!

LordVader
06-10-2005, 09:07 AM
:bandit: Appreciate the nice write-up. Saw one in person and wasn't impressed with the styling.

Smokie
06-10-2005, 09:08 AM
Good write up Chuck, I believe you made an effort to be fair and report the facts as you see them, enjoyed reading it....good to know.:D

svtguy
06-10-2005, 09:16 AM
I am now awaiting the SRT version of this car. I will report back.

If you have any variety of a supercharged car, you will absolutely annihilate him. You will beat him so badly he may never recover. Keep a box of kleenex in the car, and toss him some at the next light.Great insight. Thanks.
But not until the SRT comes along would I be at all impressed.
Based on what the projected performance numbers for it are said to be.
But even then, a s/c'ed M won't have anything to worry about right.
And personally if I were to choose between the Charger and the CTSV, I'd take the Caddy in a heartbeat.
But give them credit for the road they're on.
The Marauder still has the looks on both of them though IMO.

duhtroll
06-10-2005, 12:03 PM
I believe I saw a Magnum SRT8 delivered to our local dealership yesterday. Might have to go drive it. If it isn't an SRT8 it's got some sort of body kit on it. It's black - not too bad looking, either.

-A

Bluerauder
06-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Drove over to visit with the Prince William Cruisers tonight. They meet every Friday night beginning in mid-April not far from me. This was my first trip. There was a 1949 Dodge there that had one of the new 5.7 L Hemi's transplanted into it. Fit like a glove. :D

Honorable mention to:
1934 Ford Flattop Hot Rod
1973 Plymouth Roadrunner w/ 340 cid (why do I remember all 383s and 440s?)
1970 Pontiac Firebird w/ 400 cid (guy claims 11.2 secs times @ 122 mph)
1970 Mustang Mach 1 (a real show car)
1967 Mustang w/ 289 cid (all original)
2003 Mercury Marauder, Blue (my personal favorite) :up:

GA-Marauder
06-10-2005, 09:07 PM
I visited our local Dodge dealer this past week. Took a good look at the hemi Charger. From the side, rear, and quarters it looks pretty good to me. I just can't get by its smashed in nose. Didn't get to drive it, but here's the funny part. The sales manager's talking to me about this "modern day muscle car", and we're walking out the door when he says "is that YOUR MARAUDER"??? Wants to know of my mods, see under the hood, the whole nine yards. So here we are, at the Dodge dealer, and the sales manager and his minions are gathered around the MM looking under the hood and gawking. PRICELESS. At the end, he mentions that some customers he knows have tried to chip the Magnum and 300C, but have had a lot of trouble with A/F ratios and other stuff. He then says, "next time you come by, take a drive in the Charger, no charge". So I guess eventually I'll get my ride, but until then I know that our MM is definitely the king of kool!!!

FiveO
06-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Awesome writeup Tallboy. Good to know.

Thanks for the info!

:)

torinodan
06-11-2005, 12:10 AM
Ok, I have to admit, last week I drove an SRT8 Charger too. I liked it, kindof weird but it was nice. VERY ROOMY! The guy tried hard to sell it to me.....like I was really going to buy it anyway then I saw the mark up on it. In California this car had a $4,000 markup!! Almost got into a fight and told them to stick it. Then they had some "HOT" sales girl come out to push it on me. She liked the Marauder more and thats all she talked about...Go figure. But, I would share the driveway if it hadn't been for the markup too have something different, even ugly. Very peppy to me and over what the Marauder came stock. I liked the slap auto stick too. Now, would I ditch the Marauder, NO WAY!!, I love the Marauder but I would consider adding this somewhere. Just my 2 cents.

metroplex
06-11-2005, 03:43 AM
The new Dodge Charger:
Rear end looks like a 2005 Mustang GT
Front End looks like a cross between a 2005 Mustang GT and a Dodge pickup
4-doors

I just saw a "DAYTONA" edition Charger on I-696 the other day, and I thought it was a 4-door Mustang GT at first.

"Retro" styling is for the sheeple.

Ford could have gotten in with the "retro" crowd by reviving the Ford Falcon and calling the Boss 260 a "300 Quad Cammer V8" or some other nostalgic type name.