PDA

View Full Version : D.R. S/C No. 17

Tom Doan
06-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Dear Gang,
My MM "Shamu" is at JDM Engineering in N.J. getting a '03 Cobra motor installed as we speak. The current motor is D.R. S/C No. 17, I must figure out what to do with it. If I go to sell it out right I will post it in the classified section. I am posting here first because I am Phishing for ideas, sell it, chop it up, tear it apart and bullit proof it, I don't know. Tom

BillyGman
06-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Tommy, what made you go with a new motor? And how many miles are on the one in your Marauder?

Bluerauder
06-10-2005, 10:21 AM
The current motor is D.R. S/C No. 17, I must figure out what to do with it. If I go to sell it out right I will post it in the classified section. I am posting here first because I am Phishing for ideas, sell it, chop it up, tear it apart and bullit proof it, I don't know. Tom
Tom,
Just put it on the shelf for now. MarauderMark may be looking for another one by the end of the summer. :rolleyes: J/K, Mark !!! :jk:

Smokie
06-10-2005, 10:35 AM
Tom, the original motor is a working motor or a damaged motor?

Dennis Reinhart
06-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Tom, the original motor is a working motor or a damaged motor?He called me he said the motor is perfect and so is the blower, Tom wanted to install a whole Cobra setup Like Paul did at Paul's HP, I have been told this requires modifying the frame so I ask Tom to follow up with pictures, Paul had to notch the frame and move the engine back.

Tallboy
06-10-2005, 11:14 AM
He called me he said the motor is perfect and so is the blower, Tom wanted to install a whole Cobra setup Like Paul did at Paul's HP, I have been told this requires modifying the frame so I ask Tom to follow up with pictures, Paul had to notch the frame and move the engine back.Dennis is correct. There's a guy who shows up at Bradenton Motorsports park with this exact setup, a Cobra longblock assembly in a black 03 Marauder. The frame on this car has been cut, and if I remember corectly, a few other "adjustments" as well.

Car runs low 12s if memory serves...

BillyGman
06-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Tom wanted to install a whole Cobra setup Like Paul did at Paul's HP, I have been told this requires modifying the frame so I ask Tom to follow up with pictures, Paul had to notch the frame and move the engine back.So much modification, fabrication, and expense just for an engine that's puting out aprox. 400 HP at the crankshaft when he already had a S/Ced engine? I don't understand. What's the benefit, and what was the motive? Perhaps Tom can answer this more easily since it was his decision to do this.:confused:

SergntMac
06-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Well then, I'd say put the original engine on ice, at least until you get one pass down the 1320 with the new build.

carfixer
06-10-2005, 11:25 AM
So much modification, fabrication, and expense just for an engine that's puting out aprox. 400 HP at the crankshaft when he already had a S/Ced engine? I don't understand. What's the benefit, and what was the motive? Perhaps Tom can answer this more easily since it was his decision to do this.:confused:
The benefit I see it that it opens the door to more options, such as a KB twin screw...

klmore
06-10-2005, 11:26 AM
Well then, I'd say put the original engine on ice, at least until you get one pass down the 1320 with the new build.
I agree. Put it in storage for another day.

Tallboy
06-10-2005, 11:36 AM
The benefit I see it that it opens the door to more options, such as a KB twin screw...
You're still alive?

BillyGman
06-10-2005, 11:37 AM
The benefit I see it that it opens the door to more options, such as a KB twin screw...that could be Claude. Perhaps I'm not seeing something here. When Tom stated that it was a Cobra engine, I simply assumed that it was the entire cobra engine assembly w/the supercharger included. if that's the case then I'd wonder why he would purchase an engine already equipped with a S/cer, just to pull off that S/Cer it came with in order to purchase another one and install that one only because the bottom end of the engine is beefier. but I'm merely assuming here. Maybe Tom bought the long-block Cobra assembly w/out the blower. And in that case, you might be correct about him wanting a KB or something else like that. But only Tom can answer this I guess. hopefully he will weigh in here.

Tom Doan
06-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Tommy, what made you go with a new motor? And how many miles are on the one in your Marauder?
Gang, I work in China,for months at a time, I am switching to a stock motor because my wife is a car killer, she has never driven Shamu I that I know of. Her car has a new dent every week. DR No. 17 is one year old and has 10k miles on it, I have never been to a drag strip, never done a burn out, I drive to the beach in N.C. and live on I-95, I comissioned No. 17 for a motor with a reserve of power for passing. I had Dennis write a program to limit the WOT RPM to 5000, the motor has had 3 oil changes with AMSOIL. I liked the Snow performace stage one water injection kit so much that I up-graded to the stage two kit that will come with the package.I will need the front belt driven assories for the conversion so I will have to up-date you all as to what I will actully be selling, I must leave July 13th so I must throw out these teasers. Is there a spell checker on this page so I look smarter than I am? As time goes on I will post all the dirty little problems that a incountered and the pricing on every thing, this ain't cheap but life is short and I gave up a 440 hp Audi RS6 to build Shamu into the top carnivor in the food chain. I know I know how could I dump an RS6, I started out as a Porsche/Audi mechanic and still love the cars but I am an urban red neck and love the big american 4 door sedans, I live in yuppieville Md. and it is nice to drive a Ford product, plus the wife looks ****ty and the kids Elrod and Naydean Jr. make the perfect picture. Tom

SergntMac
06-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Tom, as you can see, you're causing quite a bit of speculation, some of which is performance driven curiosoty. To be frank here, I can't get a handle on your intent.

Are you saying that you want a more docile engine in place while away from home? If so, a replacement MM engine is the cheaper route, check www.karkraft.com they have several to choose from. New, lightly used and severly used but running, all priced accordingly.

If you're aiming for a fresh Cobra long block, this could be beneficial, in performance and cost, with the DR kit in place on top of that. You can adjust performance with a pulley change. Hell, it would be a great start for one kick-azzz street machine too.

If you want to replicate Paul's Street Stalker, that's going to cost you more in cash and permanent changes to the MM, than it's worth. There are other things you can do with your engine, as I have, that will deliver the same performance and reliability, if not more.

After reading your added remarks, I can't guess which route you are planning to take, but it's not my business anyway. My sincere best wishes for which ever direction you're going, let me know what's for sale. I'll buy anything MM related, priced right.

Tom Doan
06-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Thanks Sarge, you have been an insperation.(i.e. it's all your fault ) JK. As I wrote in Marks thread I have had big damage done to my car when turning it over to "professinals" to have work done, they have to "road test" it,and I get the car back with less rear tread and a blown rear once and dead trans once thet left me stranded in the middle of nowhere S.C. with a 890.00 towing bill to get to D.C.
When Marks motor blew we talked options and I agreed with him that DR is motor god and the right choice that had always done the right thing by us. After watching Artur for two weeks working he is maticuless in his detail. Mark will be happy. I read the threads on what everyones advice was, then came Sarge and his rebuild and the cost, I looked at Kar Karft and found '03 Corbra long blocks for 4895.00, I talked to Herman at HP by Herman , a big time drag racer here in M.D. and he said he liked their work and uses them all the time for engines.I thought this would be a cheaper way to get back to a good running MM but with a stock set up with a strong bottom end that I could leave in other peoples hands and still have it running when I get back from China and hot rod to the moon later I feel the need for speed. I ended up at JDM because every shop east of the Mississippi is jammed up with work and his place has enough people to full time drag race and still get the work done on us peeons. He is ex- SVT at Ford and is doing some wild custom cars that I know will show up in the magazines, and finally he is close by so its not a big deal with the wife to run over there.
This is going to open me up to a lot of flames about a fool and his money and the stupid things I have done and re-done but I have always pissed it away freely on my cars, If I need more money I get off my butt and go earn it. Here is my brag and weep stats for your gossip.
2003 300a, 43 org miles on it for 25000.00
Zack and Mac rear controll arms 400.00
TCE brakes 1325.00
DR stage one 1250.00
Derele dual fans 200.00
trans by Performace Automatic 1700.00
diff cover 140.00
diff studs 35.00
aero turbine mufflers 400.00
dead peddle 88.00
battery relocation 120.00
DR S/C No. 17, with:
exhaust manifolds
exhaust system
trans cooler
head cooling
fuel press. gauge
oil press. gauge
battery box
torque connvertor 9936.00
Snow H2O kits 1&2 500.00
megs delete tips 200.00
speaker up-grade 500.00
blower belts 150.00
towing 890.00
labor, ??????
the trans has been in and out at least 4 times, 4:10 install, 4:10 blown up and new 4:10's installed, didn't like, reinstalled 3:55's. didn't like the PI 3000 stall converter, changed to a 2000 stall. didn't like my custom 2.5" stainless pipes with the Aeroturbin mufflers, changed back to DR kit with stock mufflers with 2.5" inlets made out of stainless flex pipe, didn't like the delete tips, went back to stock. so you can see I am as bad as a woman picking out shoes when it come to bring satisfied.
Kar Kraft '03 Cobra long block 4895.00
shipping on motor 170.00
Eaton blower new 1000.00
now I know that the blowers are easy to find used for 500.00, dang
lower manifold, intercooler 878.00
JDM cams & parts 1880.00
SCT MAF 285.00
throttle body 579.00
ARP studs 200.00
labor ???????
I can't keep track of the amount of labor I have spent in the last 18 months, but I would bet that my list is not that far off from alot of you if you sit down and think of all the stuff that we have done to our cars. My thanks to all for the insite. DR is MM god. Thanks to Todd at TCE for his help. Wes at Innovative Interceptors for helping me, he has all the Panther Interceptor badges I made and is selling them while I am out of the USA.Tom Cy at Performance Automatic for standing behind his trannys, HP by Herman, CrazyHorse Racing, Logan, Sarge, Mark, Billy, Paul at Pauls HP,Team JDM.and to you for taking the time to respond to this and teaching me some thing new. TOM :bows:

SergntMac
06-11-2005, 09:59 AM
I like your plan, and your attiude, Tom, thanks for sharing both. I like it because I debated this plan myself at one time, just slip an '03-'04 Cobra long block under my Marauder intake, and use my Vortech blower. Even N/A, now that KarKraft has these new surplus complete engines on hand, grab one when you can. Perfect beginning for a serious and durable race car. Best wishes, Tom.

AzMarauder
06-12-2005, 08:54 AM
I like your plan, and your attiude, Tom, thanks for sharing both. I like it because I debated this plan myself at one time, just slip an '03-'04 Cobra long block under my Marauder intake, and use my Vortech blower. Even N/A, now that KarKraft has these new surplus complete engines on hand, grab one when you can. Perfect beginning for a serious and durable race car. Best wishes, Tom.
What is different about the 03 Cobra Motor that requires the frame to be notched? .... (Oil Pan?)

Dennis Reinhart
06-12-2005, 08:57 AM
The accessory setup is different on the 03 so some of those get in way of the aluminum subframe