PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Chevy Impala SS

Bluerauder
06-10-2005, 03:17 PM
The new issue of MotorTrend magazine (July 2005) has an article beginning on page 39 entitled "The SS Returns". Short story is that the 2006 Impalla SS Sedan will have a 5.3 L (325 cu in), 303 HP, 323 TQ, 16 valve V-8. Estimated Quartermile is 14.3@ 98.1 mph. :rolleyes: Not sure they will have enough room in there for any power adders. :dunno:

There also is planned a Monte Carlo SS Coupe with same engine, same specs and same ET.

The article lists the 1964 Impala SS Coupe w/ 327 cu in as 16.8 @ 83.0 mph. :confused:

ex00p71
06-10-2005, 03:20 PM
at least the marauder has rwd

twolow
06-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Front wheel drag cars look ugly.

Smokie
06-10-2005, 03:29 PM
I have not yet found information on how much the car weighs, but I am pretty sure it's not going to be 4400 lbs. I think the real Chevy guys will look at it and say...FWD!!!:mad2:

01 Interceptor
06-10-2005, 04:55 PM
More like wrong wheel drive! ;)

Besides...real Impalaitis sufferers don't see any Impala after '96 as being true to the name. It was really a rebadged Malibu anyway. (Another desecration of the muscle car name IMO.)

Rider90
06-10-2005, 05:00 PM
Did you all notice 303 hp? As in, the Marauder's 302? No doubt about it - that was intentional :baaa:

Bluerauder
06-10-2005, 06:35 PM
I have not yet found information on how much the car weighs, but I am pretty sure it's not going to be 4400 lbs. I think the real Chevy guys will look at it and say...FWD!!!:mad2:
Curb weight of both the Monte Carlo SS and the Impalla SS is estimated at 3600 pounds in the MT charts. That about 600 lbs. less than the Marauder.

MI2QWK4U
06-10-2005, 06:35 PM
at least the marauder has rwd

So will the Impala SS according to a good friend of mine, he is the service manager for one of the largest chevy dealers in macomb county here in michigan. The preliminary information he recieved at some type of training seminar is that the Impala will be longer and wider than the current model. Along with that the SS's are slated to be back to rear wheel drive and make a run on the Police Package Market again with that rear wheel platform. He said it will get a larger V-8, I dont remember exactly what he said, but it was definitely a 5.something, for some reason 5.7 or 5.8 sounds right. The latest package for a special edition Impala SS will be that rear wheel drive model SS with the 5.X L V-8 motor....plus a Eaton supercharger worth between 410 to 425 HP. That was what he told me 3 weeks ago, and he knows I was interested and will keep me informed. Said the SS wouldnt be ready for the first half of the 2006 model year, so we will have to see. I have always loved the chevy's over fords for full size sedans. In my own opinion, Chevy did it right with the older, boxey Caprice scout cars from the early 90s, then had the late Caprices figured out the last 2 years they made them. Nothing Ford has offered as a police car have even come close. Our department kept 3 of the last year Caprices with rebuilt motors and transmissions for traffic cars when the Chevys were discontinued and we got stuck with the fords. Caprices that had the vette motors with 100,000 miles on the clock would outrun any Crown Vic in the fleet.
It will be nice to see Chevy follow thru.....cross our fingers!

Smokie
06-10-2005, 06:43 PM
Our department kept 3 of the last year Caprices with rebuilt motors and transmissions for traffic cars when the Chevys were discontinued and we got stuck with the fords. Caprices that had the vette motors with 100,000 miles on the clock would outrun any Crown Vic in the fleet.
It will be nice to see Chevy follow thru.....cross our fingers!Come on Dave, don't hold back, tell us what you really think of the Crown Vics...or is it ClownVics? As they are known on other forums.

bigslim
06-10-2005, 06:44 PM
So will the Impala SS according to a good friend of mine, he is the service manager for one of the largest chevy dealers in macomb county here in michigan. The preliminary information he recieved at some type of training seminar is that the Impala will be longer and wider than the current model. Along with that the SS's are slated to be back to rear wheel drive and make a run on the Police Package Market again with that rear wheel platform. He said it will get a larger V-8, I dont remember exactly what he said, but it was definitely a 5.something, for some reason 5.7 or 5.8 sounds right. The latest package for a special edition Impala SS will be that rear wheel drive model SS with the 5.X L V-8 motor....plus a Eaton supercharger worth between 410 to 425 HP. That was what he told me 3 weeks ago, and he knows I was interested and will keep me informed. Said the SS wouldnt be ready for the first half of the 2006 model year, so we will have to see. I have always loved the chevy's over fords for full size sedans. In my own opinion, Chevy did it right with the older, boxey Caprice scout cars from the early 90s, then had the late Caprices figured out the last 2 years they made them. Nothing Ford has offered as a police car have even come close. Our department kept 3 of the last year Caprices with rebuilt motors and transmissions for traffic cars when the Chevys were discontinued and we got stuck with the fords. Caprices that had the vette motors with 100,000 miles on the clock would outrun any Crown Vic in the fleet.
It will be nice to see Chevy follow thru.....cross our fingers!
The rear wheel drive Impalla was put on hold along with the rest of the new rear wheel drive GM cars. The "Zeta" platform was put on hold so GM could use their resourses for their big truck line. The "Zeta" platform was to be used for the new rear wheeled Impalla, GTO, and other cars. It is not known when this will be back in development.

MI2QWK4U
06-10-2005, 06:53 PM
Come on Dave, don't hold back, tell us what you really think of the Crown Vics...or is it ClownVics? As they are known on other forums.

Smokie, dont get me wrong, I love my Marauder, but Crown Vics as police cars suck, suck big time. I didnt like them the first time we got stuck with them in the late 90's when the Chevys were gone. We actually bought as many as we could and stockpiled them so we could extend using the Caprice a couple more years before having the Vics shoved down our throats! The boxey square Caprice was fast in its day. In fact, we kept one of those old Caprices, think it was a 90 or 91, that was in good shape and used it for a DARE car. That car, 10 or 11 years old, over 140,000 miles on it, with stock 350 in it, would out run a brand new Crown Vic hands down, hows that for unimpressive for the Crown Vic.
Something about the Marauder elevates it so much higher that a PI Crown Vic, but whatever it is...its special, cause I love that ass thumping Marauder big time!

MI2QWK4U
06-10-2005, 06:56 PM
The rear wheel drive Impalla was put on hold along with the rest of the new rear wheel drive GM cars. The "Zeta" platform was put on hold so GM could use their resourses for their big truck line. The "Zeta" platform was to be used for the new rear wheeled Impalla, GTO, and other cars. It is not known when this will be back in development.

Is that a permanent thing? or will the delay just push it back. My info was from about a month ago. He said that some people in GM know that part of their future lies with rear wheel drive sedans, like Chrysler.

Smokie
06-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Smokie, dont get me wrong, I love my Marauder, but Crown Vics as police cars suck, suck big time. I didnt like them the first time we got stuck with them in the late 90's when the Chevys were gone. We actually bought as many as we could and stockpiled them so we could extend using the Caprice a couple more years before having the Vics shoved down our throats! The boxey square Caprice was fast in its day. In fact, we kept one of those old Caprices, think it was a 90 or 91, that was in good shape and used it for a DARE car. That car, 10 or 11 years old, over 140,000 miles on it, with stock 350 in it, would out run a brand new Crown Vic hands down, hows that for unimpressive for the Crown Vic.
Something about the Marauder elevates it so much higher that a PI Crown Vic, but whatever it is...its special, cause I love that ass thumping Marauder big time!I'm not qualified to judge the CrownVic as a working police cruiser, your experience in that area qualifies you. I am the proud owner of a 1995 CrownVictoria LX. As a reliable family car and highway cruiser it is the best car I have ever owned, it is slow compared to the MM. no doubt. But if my MM in the next 7-8 years is as reliable and looks as good on the inside as my C/V I will be very happy indeed.:)

bigslim
06-10-2005, 07:08 PM
Is that a permanent thing? or will the delay just push it back. My info was from about a month ago. He said that some people in GM know that part of their future lies with rear wheel drive sedans, like Chrysler.
With the money problems now at GM they don't have the money for both programs. This is why they are doing the trucks right now. Trucks have higher profits. I think they doing the wrong thing. Full size trucks and SUV sales are down. People are going back to cars. That is what happened to Ford. Ford got caught with their pants down when people were getting out of trucks and going back to cars and all Ford had was an outdated car line. GM needs to wake up and smell the coffee and see that people want cars with power. I think this move will come back to bite them in the a$$. The "Zeta" program will be back at a later date.

MI2QWK4U
06-10-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm not qualified to judge the CrownVic as a working police cruiser, your experience in that area qualifies you. I am the proud owner of a 1995 CrownVictoria LX. As a reliable family car and highway cruiser it is the best car I have ever owned, it is slow compared to the MM. no doubt. But if my MM in the next 7-8 years is as reliable and looks as good on the inside as my C/V I will be very happy indeed.:)

You are right about that..they are solid every day cars. I guess i was hitting the performance, handling aspect of the Vic. Why I tried to qualify my statments as applying to PI's. I was more *****ing about Chevy pulling a perfectly good product to make more Pickup trucks! Bastages!

Ezbok58a
06-10-2005, 08:25 PM
You are right about that..they are solid every day cars. I guess i was hitting the performance, handling aspect of the Vic. Why I tried to qualify my statments as applying to PI's. I was more *****ing about Chevy pulling a perfectly good product to make more Pickup trucks! Bastages!
Your department have 05 PIs? cause the 05s get around the same quarter mile times as the 96 LT1 Caprices.

Fourth Horseman
06-10-2005, 09:14 PM

In that same issue of Motor Trend it talks about the Zeta platform being back-burnered for the foreseeable future. :shake: :down: I had soooo been looking forward to a new rear-drive Impala SS, too. :bigcry:

metroplex
06-11-2005, 04:07 AM

Bob Putz canned the Zeta platform.
2003: The new Zeta Platform will kick ass
2005: There will be no Zeta platform.

lol

BTW they HAD to mention the 16V V8? wtf, you can't just say 2V V8?
I think they're intentionally doing it because the Marauder is a quad-cam V8 with 32V.

RF Overlord
06-11-2005, 05:29 AM
Bob Putz canned the Zeta platform.

LOL...Bob Putz...heh

I understand that a business has to make a profit to grow and survive, but I agree that both Ford and GM are missing the boat entirely...instead of listening to the people, they're TELLING the people what they want. That only works for a while...

I, too, would like to see a RWD sedan (or coupe) from GM...not to dilute the market, but to show that the platform still has a little life left in it...(damn these kids and their "tooner" carz...now my Qi is all out of balance)

GA-Marauder
06-11-2005, 10:45 PM
The new issue of MotorTrend magazine (July 2005) has an article beginning on page 39 entitled "The SS Returns". Short story is that the 2006 Impalla SS Sedan will have a 5.3 L (325 cu in), 303 HP, 323 TQ, 16 valve V-8. Estimated Quartermile is 14.3@ 98.1 mph. :rolleyes: Not sure they will have enough room in there for any power adders. :dunno:

There also is planned a Monte Carlo SS Coupe with same engine, same specs and same ET.

The article lists the 1964 Impala SS Coupe w/ 327 cu in as 16.8 @ 83.0 mph. :confused:
Read the article. Could not believe the author preferred the new Impala over the 94-96 version.:confused: He really seems to like the new design.:depress: Looks like a Camry/Lexus E300 up front, and the standard generic crap in the back with a spoiler to look RACY:puke: . Just my opinion. I love my MM, but I would definitely put the 96 Impala in my driveway alongside if the planets were aligned just right. Anyway, FWD just seems un-American in a performance car, leave it to the ricers, I say.

Shaft333
06-12-2005, 09:03 AM
I got to drive one! http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Petrograde
06-12-2005, 09:58 AM
....any pics?

IMAX
06-12-2005, 10:01 AM
I will never call that rebadged Lumina a Impala. That car for me has been a total disgrace to the Impala Legacy. It's a damn shame that the RWD Caprice SS is sold in the Middle East & we can't have a real Impala SS here. Check it out: Caprice SS (http://www.gmme.com/content_data/LAAM/KW/en/GBPKW/chevrolet/models/caprice/caprice_ss.htm)

Joe Walsh
06-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Check it out: Caprice SS (http://www.gmme.com/content_data/LAAM/KW/en/GBPKW/chevrolet/models/caprice/caprice_ss.htm)

LOL.....It says it has 'massive sporting prowess'...WTF?

Maybe they meant that the owners wish they were 'sporting massive prowess'!!

What's next?...Thick exhaust pipes or well endowed suspension???

IMAX
06-12-2005, 10:11 AM
LOL, I didn't see that. All I saw was RWD V8... You know the English language is spoken/written differently all over the world...

Petrograde
06-12-2005, 12:40 PM
When I was in Kuwait in 2003 I saw tons of Caprices & Crown Vics,... They are the 'cheap cars' there :rolleyes:

metroplex
06-12-2005, 01:44 PM
They are exported from the US, I'm not sure they'd be the bottom dollar cheap cars there. I know the Toyota Hiluxes are very common in SWA as are some other Toyota trucks.

The exported Panthers have dual a/c systems and I think the Caprice they have also has dual A/C.

Shaft333
06-13-2005, 06:51 AM
ME Caprice SS... That's a Holden, isn't it?

QWK SVT
06-13-2005, 05:22 PM
ME Caprice SS... That's a Holden, isn't it?
Yep... It's a rebadged Commodore...
http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modeloverview?modelid=4009

Here's more pics of a CapriceSS
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/853000-853999/853174_1_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/853000-853999/853174_5_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/853000-853999/853174_17_full.jpg