PDA

View Full Version : 03 Marauder black paint problems?

metroplex
06-10-2005, 03:56 PM
I thought I read somewhere some Marauder owners experienced problems with their black paint. If so, what kind of problems? Delamination/Peeling? If so, where did you find it?

Logan
06-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Spider cracks was my problem. I've also seen solvent pops in the paint too... Cars who had it, had it pretty much all over...

metroplex
06-10-2005, 04:26 PM
This may or may not be related, but we have a 2003 E-250 with Black Ebony Clearcoat, the same paint code as the 03 Marauder Black.

The hood had severe delamination (bubbling and eventually peeling of the paint). Ford fixed just the hood, but there's also "orange peel" on the doors.

Dr Caleb
06-11-2005, 10:10 AM
What I've learned so far about the black paint problem: Painting at the factory is done by contract, so for June 2002 to December 2002 (roughly, hard to get exact answers), DuPont had the contract for the Black paint (code-UA) at the St. Thomas Assembly plant. They used a new process, which obvoiusly went badly. From what I have gleaned, the new process wasn't used after December 2002 or thereabouts.

I don't know if they had any contracts with this process in other plants.

My Dealership, after making me wait over a year to look at the lack of paint in my rear doors, told me, (I kid you not) "Some orange peel, especially on the B pillars and around the mirrors is desirable because the sun reflects off it better and it won't fade as fast". They offered to repaint the rear door jams, but I was a little apprehensive about letting these mental migets touch my car.

They totally brushed off the white spots on the hood and trunk as 'rock chips'.