PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of our Ford Five Hundred

Eric91Z
06-11-2005, 06:22 AM
Well, finally getting off my duff and getting pictures of the wife's new Ford Five Hundred. We picked this car up a couple months ago as a replacement for the wife's '00 Dodge Durango. She really misses her SUV, but it has been a nice replacement.

Now, my wife is not much of a car person in anyway, at least when it comes to what she drives. Given that, when we went looking for a replacement, it had to be comfortable, look good, drive nice, have 4-doors, and plenty of room. Also, was going to be FWD.

We ended up looking at the Chevy Impala, Dodge Stratus/Chrysler Sebring, and on a last minute urge, the Ford Five Hundred. The wife liked the Impala, until she sat in the Five Hundred. She really likes the stadium style seating of the Five Hundred and the fact that she does not have to drop down as far to sit down. Very important at this point with her being right at 9 months pregnant (due any day now).

Anyway, now that we have had the car for awhile, thought I would give a little report and get some pictures up. We ended up getting the base model: SE. But for a base model, it is pretty well loaded for our needs. The wife did not want leather anyway, so that made it easier. It has the 3.0 V6 Duratec motor and the 6-speed automatic. Has traction control, ABS, AM/FM/CD, huge 4-wheel disc brakes, and 17" wheels and tires. So far, we are very happy with the car. My biggest compliant is the complete lack of power off the line or down low. Other than that, the car is quite nice. It has a nice smooth, quiet and controlled ride. Only time it is a handful is if it gets really windy and you are on an open highway. Then it does get blown around a little. I think that is a function more of the tires and shock/spring setup because the car is plenty heavy. The interior is pretty nice and comfortable and everything falls right where you want it from the driver's seat. Really don't have to reach to get to anything. There are 2 cup holders by the shifter, two in the rear fold down arm rest, and one in each door for a total of 8. Stereo is pretty decent unless cranked way up on a song with lots of bass. I was very paranoid about the paint as there were a couple little scrathes in it from the get go that were not noticed until we got the car home. Since then, I have done a complete initial Zaino job on it, but only have one coat of Z5 on there right now. Kind of waiting for my time off when the new baby comes to get a few more coats on it.

The car cleans up very nicely and we just got the windows tinted (by Iowa law since the wife does not want to get pulled over - meaning no tint on front side windows). I, personally, think that made a big difference in the look of the car. Before it was just way too much open glass. Now it needs to have the ride height dropped a little and some nice polished or chrome wheels on it. Other than that, very happy with the car. Although the wife has already said she wants another SUV when this one is paid off and would like that to be a used Navigator with those big, shinny, chrome 18" wheels (I think they are 18's).

Anyway, here is a picture from the other day. And there are more in my gallery - if you click the link in the upper right of this post. Or use this link of the pictures button in the upper right doesn't work:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1135

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/gallery/data/500/medium/500_Tinted_1.jpg

Thanks for reading.

bigslim
06-11-2005, 09:52 AM
Lack of power is most heard complaint. Other than that it is a nice car. Here is a picture of a Montego with a little bling.

Eric91Z
06-11-2005, 11:06 AM
That's not bad looking, but the with the ride height of these cars and the size of the wheel wells, those wheels on the Montego look kind of small.

Yeah, and the power issue is mostly just the from-a-start or low speed. Once up to speed, especially on the highway, it runs great and passes fine.

twolow
06-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Lack of power is most heard complaint. Other than that it is a nice car. Here is a picture of a Montego with a little bling.
In that second picture, the showroom looks more like a Waffle House

Captain Steve
06-11-2005, 01:31 PM
The 500 isn't a bad looking car. Ford actually has a pretty nice platform there to work with. I particularly would love to see an AWD 500 with a 4.6L 3valve like the new Mustangs. Maybe a SVT version.

They'd probably have to stretch the front end foward of the windshield a bit to make it fit.. and definately tub out the fenderwells some to stick some 17 or 18 inch wheels in there.. but it'd be a big fun car then.

Eric91Z
06-11-2005, 03:20 PM
The 500 isn't a bad looking car. Ford actually has a pretty nice platform there to work with. I particularly would love to see an AWD 500 with a 4.6L 3valve like the new Mustangs. Maybe a SVT version.

They'd probably have to stretch the front end foward of the windshield a bit to make it fit.. and definately tub out the fenderwells some to stick some 17 or 18 inch wheels in there.. but it'd be a big fun car then.

They might have to tub a little to fit wider rubber in there, but they already fit the 17 and 18" wheel no problem. Like I said, the our base model has 17" wheels on it. Only problem with the above is that, currently, the AWD versions are only available with the CVT transmission. And it would be cool to see an SVT version. Would bring back memories of the original Taurus SHO, which I thought was a pretty cool car.

metroplex
06-11-2005, 04:27 PM
the tail lamps from any angle resemble the Mercedes Benzes. The height of the hood line and roofline is taller than my Ford Crown Vic!

jgc61sr2002
06-11-2005, 04:59 PM
the tail lamps from any angle resemble the Mercedes Benzes. The height of the hood line and roofline is taller than my Ford Crown Vic!

Noticed that Benz look alike on several cars now on the market.

wchain
06-13-2005, 06:45 AM
:up:
Looks good! there's a guy in my Neighborhood that has a Dark Blue Pearl Metallic 500 with some nice 20s, looks real sharp!

rocknrod
06-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Park that next to your Marauder. You'd have a "mini me":D

Eric91Z
06-13-2005, 06:06 PM
I would love to have a Marauder parked next to the Five Hundred. Actually, the only rear dimension that the Five Hundred would be a "mini me" is in over all length and performance. The Five Hundred has more back seat room and more trunk space. The trunk on this thing is HUGE!!!!

I guess we will find out how much useable back space it has when the new baby is born any day now and has to share the backseat with the 8 year old.

I still love the Marauder, just not sure I will be able to find one in my price range here in the next couple of months. Price wise (and fitting what I want for a car) the '96 Impala SS is leading the race.

MarauderMike
06-13-2005, 07:00 PM
I saw this car running around Livonia on Sunday, the rear spoiler really caught my eye. The car looked really sharp!

bigslim
06-13-2005, 07:07 PM
I saw this car running around Livonia on Sunday, the rear spoiler really caught my eye. The car looked really sharp!
It was at my dealer. I later saw it on Five Mile in Livonia.

prchrman
06-14-2005, 06:05 AM
I kinda bashed the 500 when I first saw pics...but they are actually a nice looking ride on the street...wife drove one and loved it...I want mo power...willie