PDA

View Full Version : condensation in headlamp lens

oxy2
08-26-2002, 10:14 AM
I have condensation in the driver side headlamp lens. The dealer says this is acceptable if it goes away after 5 minutes. I checked with the MM hotline and they said the same. It doesn't seem realistic that this is acceptable - what happens after several years (in a very rainy area). It seems to me that Mercury is begging-off a problem. It's a shame when the car is so new and supposedly Mercury's most visible future-car. This is sub-standard workmaship and Mercury should be ashamed to define it as acceptable.

Has anyone else had this problem?

tetsu
08-26-2002, 10:25 AM
yes same thing. Didn't know it was a problem though.

Johnny

GarageMahal
08-26-2002, 10:27 AM
I have noticed this too but was not too concerned at the time. I had just finished washing the car and figured I managed to get some water somewhere it didn't belong. It dryed up before the next time I looked.

jta

oxy2
08-26-2002, 10:29 AM
Thanks for the quick replies. I can't say it's a problem NOW but what about 2 or three years from now when the condensation has had time to work its magic. I still think it's inferior workmanship.

TAF
08-26-2002, 10:50 AM
I spoke with my dealer about this. I'm getting water around the headlamp assembly when I wash it and the strip molding is not flush with the body. I am having new headlamp assemblies put in by my dealer under warranty. BTW...we looked at other Grand Marquis on the lot and they had the same problem with the molding around the headlamp assembly on those as well.

I think Logan had some molding concerns...don't know if it was around the headlamps, though.

Todd

drobin
08-27-2002, 01:05 PM
If this is normal, why don't I have this problem on my MM.

Donald

mchunt
08-28-2002, 10:04 AM
Have not seen this on my 03MM but I am travelling for work right now but I have the same problem with my wife’s 95 Crown Vic the Ford dealer gave me the same line. I can tell you that in 2 – 3 years the inside of lens will get a yellow film over it and your head lights end up being almost useless. Finally had to disassemble them and clean them up.

Secrt.agent man
09-15-2002, 06:09 PM
I had a similar problem with the headlights in my mustang bullitt. What I thought was condensation was actually the glue spotting that they use for the inside of the assembly. I also had water damage in the rear taillight near the backup light. My dealer replaced the taillight no problem and ironically Ford issued a revamped headlight assembly also. If you have problems with the dealer call Ford or Mercury directly and complain about the problem. They will in turn notify the dealer of your concern and get you results. If the dealer takes it personally,tough,thats what their there for.

ntrcptr99
09-16-2002, 08:54 AM
This is a vey common problem among Ford Mo Co products to their light manfacturing process. I have had 92 Mustang, with it, 92 Crown Vic both headlights and the sidemarkers, andeven now on my 99 Crown Vic, I eventually replaced the one headlight cause it got so bad. But the solution that Ihave found to this is go to your local auto parts store by some Clear Rtv sealant and install arund he edege of the lights were the seals are at and it will cure it, ad limate the mositure, have since done this on my Vic on all the lights and now have no more mositure issuses, All in All a good investment for the tube at like $3.00 a tube compared to $105.00 a piece for the Maruder Headlights, and $52 a piece on the sidemarkers.