PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical help needed...

CRUZTAKER
06-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Something is definately broken. :(

My beloved beater Vic has started to get really close to overheating...regularly in the latest 90 degree temps around here.

I discovered the fan is not turning very fast when the car is running.

It a 1992 Vic LX.

Will someone explain if I might be able to fix this myself, and how ?

Fourth Horseman
06-14-2005, 03:02 PM

My beloved beater Vic has started to get really close to overheating...regularly in the latest 90 degree temps around here.

It a 1992 Vic LX.

That's a mechanical fan on that car, right? Not electric?

Todd
06-14-2005, 03:17 PM
That's a mechanical fan on that car, right? Not electric?

I am fairly certain they were mechanical....

New fan clutch in his future.

I know for the Mustangs we used to use the fan clutches off the State Trooper cars. Dont know if the CVPI have heavy'r duty or not. They were heavy duty models and would last forever. Mine (off my state trooper mustang) finally gave up and I went to a electric fan. I used the one from a late 90's gt. 2 speed. Works great. Just wire up 2 relays and a way to turn them on. Either by thermostat or manual switch.

RoyLPita
06-14-2005, 03:19 PM
Pm Me I have a complete fan for you.

the_pack_rat
06-14-2005, 04:11 PM

It a 1992 Vic LX.

I can't speak for what the layout on a 92 4.6 Panther was ... but my 97 Town Car has (2) fans.

(1) Mechanical with fan clutch.

(1) Electric

It's my understanding the electric one should always kick on when the a/c is on.

In fact, when I first bought it, I was rather shocked to see that there are many instances at idle, where the a/c is on & the mechanical fan is barely moving at all.

Apparently the mechanical fan clutch only kicks it when it gets really TOASTY under there ... as I had replaced the clutch w/a new one, only to have it behave in the same manner.

Long story short ...

The electric fan seems to do more work than the mechanical in my situation.

BTW, if you DO have a mechanical fan & the clutch needs replacement ...

Buy the replacement from FORD ... not some aftermarket POS like I did at first. The TC sounded like it had about 10,000 indoor box fans from the 1950's under the hood everytime I accelerated from a stop. :rolleyes:

After about a week of that, I gave in & bought a FORD replacement clutch.

CRUZTAKER
06-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Pm Me I have a complete fan for you.Cool....:bows:

Litterally.;)

Indeed it is a mechanical, and this 'clutch' sounds like the problem.

I am ok on the freeway as long as I am moving, but stop and go around town is starting to become an issue.

Thanks everyone.

RoyLPita
06-14-2005, 04:44 PM
You've got another PM.

wchain
06-15-2005, 08:49 AM
Barry, have you checked the coolant condition as well? What about any obstruction behind the grille?

Have Jess Start the car and let it run for a minute, shut the car off, the fan should stop spinning right away, it not, then its most likely the clutch.

Might be a good idea to put a new belt on there while you're around there.

Good luck.

CRUZTAKER
06-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Hello Wes!

We haven't talked in some time. I hope all is well with you. I am still on the road as usual...

As for your advice, I have done all of that, and from the indication of the fan turning so slowly I can reach in and stop it with my hands. :P

Thanks to RPITA I should have his spare on my doorstep when I arrive home on Friday. :up:

RoyLPita
06-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Hello Wes!

We haven't talked in some time. I hope all is well with you. I am still on the road as usual...

As for your advice, I have done all of that, and from the indication of the fan turning so slowly I can reach in and stop it with my hands. :P

Thanks to RPITA I should have his spare on my doorstep when I arrive home on Friday. :up:

Expect it tomorrow by noon....

David Morton
06-15-2005, 11:12 PM
Replace that thermostat while you're in there bud and nip the compromised item. Overheating cooling systems are hell on t-stats and I've seen many a properly diagnosed bad fan come back in the shop with a "now failing" t-stat. It's a job, but cheap insurance if you do the work yourself. $25 for parts and coolant. Check the hoses too while you're in there.

Mike Poore
06-16-2005, 01:47 AM
Replace that thermostat while you're in there bud and nip the compromised item. Overheating cooling systems are hell on t-stats and I've seen many a properly diagnosed bad fan come back in the shop with a "now failing" t-stat. It's a job, but cheap insurance if you do the work yourself. $25 for parts and coolant. Check the hoses too while you're in there.Good advice David; along with a radiator/cooling system flush and fresh antifreeze. Get Bob to help, he's good at pouring in the blue stuff. :D

David Morton
06-16-2005, 02:14 AM
Good advice David; along with a radiator/cooling system flush and fresh antifreeze. Get Bob to help, he's good at pouring in the blue stuff. :DI don't advise flush additives unless they are absolutely needed because it's next to impossible to get that stuff all out when you're done, and generally they're not very good for the water pump seal. Better to just drain and fill the radiator yearly so you never let the coolant get old enough to go bad and make that slimey/scaley junk that flushes are for in the first place.

Do a yearly drain and fill and everything will last longer.

Fluids. Fresh fluids are the lifeblood of everything.

Where's my woman! :D

RoyLPita
06-16-2005, 04:20 AM
Replace that thermostat while you're in there bud and nip the compromised item. Overheating cooling systems are hell on t-stats and I've seen many a properly diagnosed bad fan come back in the shop with a "now failing" t-stat. It's a job, but cheap insurance if you do the work yourself. $25 for parts and coolant. Check the hoses too while you're in there.

I agree. It is cheap insurance.

Dr Caleb
06-16-2005, 07:09 AM
Indeed it is a mechanical, and this 'clutch' sounds like the problem.

Like everyone said, clutch. I have a 92 CV LX as well Barry, and I have had the same problem. It would overheat and boil if I was idling without moving too long.

I also replaced the t-stat, because it's real easy. The problems with the 92's like ours, is getting the air out of the hoses. It tends to sit at the top of the outlet pipe, and it takes some time to work the air out after you change the t-stat.

David Morton
06-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Like everyone said, clutch. I have a 92 CV LX as well Barry, and I have had the same problem. It would overheat and boil if I was idling without moving too long.

I also replaced the t-stat, because it's real easy. The problems with the 92's like ours, is getting the air out of the hoses. It tends to sit at the top of the outlet pipe, and it takes some time to work the air out after you change the t-stat.I have a trick for that. Take the new t-stat and push a piece of plastic fork into the opening making it crack open a bit. This helps the air go out before it get's too hot. Some t-stats have a small hole drilled in the valve for this purpose. In either case put this opening at the top.

Oh, I almost forgot. If you get a new fan clutch, get a genuine Motorcraft clutch. They are definitely the best and most durable fan clutches bar none, well worth the extra money.

But I would look into going all-electric if it were my car, for the fuel savings and extra HP.

CRUZTAKER
06-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Thanks...

Thermostat is prolly a good idea. ;)

RoyLPita
06-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Check your PMs.

RoyLPita
06-19-2005, 07:16 AM
Any progress?????