PDA

View Full Version : The National Anthem & The NBA

cyclone03
06-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Why -O- why does the NBA think they need to make a show out of the performance of the Star Spangled Banner?

I've always enjoyed a nice voice singing with real pride from within.
I also like when a high school marching band gives it their all.
College bands blasting it out!
Rockers going for it too...

But when the meaning of the song takes a back seat to the PERFORMER and that simple begining to all of our sporting events becomes a mini concert for the performer I think weve gone too far.

Tonight was it for me.
I like Stevie Wonder but what was all that stuff before the begining of the National Anthem tonight? A whole lot of notes for no reason, the ending didn't finish right either.

But I will admit,I never thought of the harmonica and the Anthem going together as well as it was played tonight,except for the begining and end it sound good.

But please no more "show".

Bluerauder
06-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Why -O- why does the NBA think they need to make a show out of the performance of the Star Spangled Banner?.
Yeah, that's a pet peeve of mine too !!! :mad: But it just isn't just the NBA, it's the NFL, MLB, NASCAR and every major sporting event. :rolleyes: Every "artist" seems to have to put their personal stamp and musical flair on the performance. :bs: I would just be happy if they could just remember all the dayum words. Oops !!! :o

duhtroll
06-14-2005, 08:01 PM
Trivia bit:

Our national anthem melody was taken from an old English drinking song (which is a source of our being made fun of the world over). No matter what the performers do to it, it's better than it was.

I still hate it when performers decide they have to embellish it, and that includes ALL of them that change it, Hendrix included. It is either our national anthem or it's not.

Why "America the Beautiful" is not our national anthem is beyond me. It is far superior.

-A

cyclone03
06-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Carrie Underwood!

Fantastic!!!
How refreshing!
No fluff,No dance numbers .

Just a single great voice.

Did anybody notice,I think the crowd even knew thats how it's suppost to be done.

Thank YOU
Ms. Underwood.